Hospitals & Asylums

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Hospitals & Asylums

Postby rangersfc » Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:53 pm

I'm looking for info on old Glasgow hospitals, like the Sheildhall Fever Hospital (my ncle died there in 1824) in Helen Street, Govan, and a 'Lay-In' Hospital (according to Birth Cert) in or near Central Glasgow, where my Great Grandmother was born in 1867.
I'm looking for info on old Glasgow hospitals, like the Sheildhall Fever Hospital in Helen Street and a Lay-In Hospital in or near Central Glasgow, where my Great Grandmother was born
rangersfc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Eddy Cavin » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:40 am

Eddy Cavin
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Ronnie » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:14 pm

You could also try <www.TheGlasgowStory.com>, under health.
The Glasgow Encyclopaedia, by Joe Fisher, also has good articles on health and hospitals. Or, if you have a timeframe, try the Post Office Directory, which will give you addresses for these hospitals. Best of luck.
Best, Ronnie
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Sat May 12, 2007 9:19 pm

I done some of my nursing training in the now demolished cowglen hospital. I never knew that part of glasgow and first thought it was the national savings bank how wrong was I.

I remember the wards being little huts and they had really nice little gardens.

Wish I could remember the lovely lady that kept me in bacon rolls every morning when I was still half asleep. She always cheered my day up.

Couldnt believe it when it was demolished, it had something very special about it. One of the sisters told me that it was used during the war for soilders.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sat May 12, 2007 11:40 pm

i know its not dispeared, but theres a great article in the weekend times about stobhill
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Sat May 12, 2007 11:53 pm

The Shieldhall Hospital I remember was in Govan off the Moss Road before they built the Linthouse tunnel. I had a brother there who had scarlet fever and a pal with diphtheria, in the early forties, and to the best of my knowledge they took good care of them... both of them came out healthy anyway. It was a fever hospital and visitations were not possible. In order to obtain information as to a patient's progress, one visited the visitation centre and had a conversation with the ward sister, always it seemed to me an imperious lady dressed in very uppish garments. I always thought of this hospital as being a place where one could expect to be taken good care of; it was, to me, a good part of Govan.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vinny » Sun May 13, 2007 2:15 pm

Redlands hospital in Kirklee - my pal's mother was born their and bizarrely enough he met his current girlfriend at a party in the place after it had been converted to flats.
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sun May 13, 2007 3:58 pm

dougie79
I done some of my nursing training in the now demolished cowglen hospital. I never knew that part of glasgow and first thought it was the national savings bank how wrong was I

My daughter works in the NSB and said that the stairways and corridors make it feel more like a hospital than a bank.
Was it a part of the hospital originally ?
I know the facade got cladding done on it about 15-20 years ago, but I can only remember the building as a bank.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Sun May 13, 2007 4:40 pm

scaryman2u wrote:
dougie79
I done some of my nursing training in the now demolished cowglen hospital. I never knew that part of glasgow and first thought it was the national savings bank how wrong was I

My daughter works in the NSB and said that the stairways and corridors make it feel more like a hospital than a bank.
I know the facade got cladding done on it about 15-20 years ago, but I can only remember the building as a bank.

The NSB (originally the General Post Office Savings Bank) is certainly listed on http://www.codexgeo.co.uk as being part of the Cowglen Infectious Diseases Hospital site but there is no mention as to whether it was actually ever used as part of the hospital itself
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flash_Andy » Sun May 13, 2007 5:17 pm

I have delivered stuff to the NSB for the NHS, I think they have offices in it as does the Driving Instructor College, having been inside the building it has a similar interior to the new part of the Royal Infirmary. I was told it was built to replace the Victoria Infirmary and Southern General hospitals.
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby pwm437 » Mon May 14, 2007 8:42 pm

I passed St Francis Maternity Hospital the other week in Merryland Street in Govan. It has 'disappeared' as far as being a hospital, but following refurbishment, is now rather splendid looking houses.

Any HG'ers born here ??
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby neilmc » Tue May 15, 2007 11:44 am

Graham wrote:
scaryman2u wrote:
dougie79

The NSB (originally the General Post Office Savings Bank) is certainly listed on http://www.codexgeo.co.uk as being part of the Cowglen Infectious Diseases Hospital site but there is no mention as to whether it was actually ever used as part of the hospital itself

The building as it stands now was custom built, in two phases, for the Dept. of National Savings/Post Office Savings Bank, as part of the policy of decentralisation from Blythe Road, London, and later on, Harrogate.
I've got a feeling that the so-called 'temporary' buildings, which used to house the 'ledgers' departments of the NSB, may have been part of the hospital originally.
When I was young I remember hearing stories that the US Army had barracks on or near the site of the NSB during WWII, but that could be the subject of another thread.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gallowgategal » Tue May 15, 2007 8:33 pm

pwm437 wrote:I passed St Francis Maternity Hospital the other week in Merryland Street in Govan. It has 'disappeared' as far as being a hospital, but following refurbishment, is now rather splendid looking houses.

Any HG'ers born here ??

I was born there :D

Never seen the place since though, too late now I suppose :cry:
have I missed anything ???
gallowgategal
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby theduke » Tue May 15, 2007 9:00 pm

I was born in Duke St Hospital, opposite where the abattoir was. The building is still there, developed as flats, about 10 maybe 15 years ago. Anyone else born there?
Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
theduke
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Tue May 15, 2007 9:46 pm

I asked a long time ago I asked on here about the Hospital I grew up on which was Darnley Hospital near Nitshill/Pollok on the south-side of Glasgow.

The original hospital was an TB hospital but in it's later years became a geriatric hospital where my father worked as the on-call porter and we lived in on of the on site Bungalows, Our bungalow was the nearest to the Boiler House as my father had the job of starting the boilers in the morning and maintaining them as well as doing his normal duties of moving patients and also the job of removing the bodies of patients who had died to the Morgue which was directly behind our cottage (my bedroom window faced this way). 8O

I have memories of the boiler rooms but not the morgue as my dad never took me in there but the boiler room had a couple of massive boilers that heated the whole hospital and that was the also the porters office which had those big PVC hospital chairs with the high backs all around the main boiler and in the winter my dad would take us out there to get a heat as the cottage had a coal fire which my mother would light while my dad worked in the Boiler room with me and my brother under a hospital Itchy blanket near the boiler till mum used to call us back cos the fire was lit and breakfast was ready. :)

Great memories and stories to tell but unfortunately the hospital and cottages were demolished for a new build care home in the early 1990's. :(
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects