Glasgow Inner Ring Road

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby red_kola » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:49 pm

motman wrote:Bugger - I missed it. And I had a favourite search for it which I allowed to lapse. And from Oxfam in Byres Road an a'.

Was watching it but forgot all about it on the morning that it closed. Went for over £30 mind, which was double what I was willing to pay (and I'd have wanted to collect it and all - I see even Oxfam do the inflate-your-eBay-profits-by-overcharging-on-postage scam)
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:12 am

glasgowken wrote:This Ebay item may be of interest.

I've heard of some pretty ridiculous things being sold on ebay, but selling numbers??? that just takes the cake!
::):
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Uni essay

Postby excoriate » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:41 pm

I've not been on here in a while but came on to look for photos of pre-pedestrianised areas in Glasgow, Buchanan St etc.

Didn't expect to see such a huge lot of information on the IRR, which forms a large part of the essay.

A comparison between Glasgow and the Brazilian city of Curitiba (which is mental for buses and bus lanes).

At the same time we were pushing on with the IRR, they were introducing a bus network that the rest of the world would kill for. Makes me ashamed actually.
excoriate
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:48 pm

Vinny was looking for some shots of Charing Cross pre-motorway, so with the assistance of my children, here they are:
The first is an aerial shot; the second from a postcard I bought on E-Bay looking along Sauchiehall St. from the fountain and lastly, Woodside Rd. at Charing Cross.
I have more if anyone's interested.

Le durachd,
Dimairt

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:53 pm

Cheers for posting these! That third one's going to make such a good PastPresent.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vinny » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:45 pm

Dimairt

Thanks very much - I'm sure I hadn't imagined the 1st photo. Hope you reward the kids (and learn their mystic computer ways)!

I need some orientation regarding the 3rd photo - that's not charing cross mansions up ahead is it?
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Jagsman » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:11 am

vinny wrote:Dimairt

Thanks very much - I'm sure I hadn't imagined the 1st photo. Hope you reward the kids (and learn their mystic computer ways)!

I need some orientation regarding the 3rd photo - that's not charing cross mansions up ahead is it?

Pretty sure the 3rd photo is taken from sauchiehall street looking towards woodlands road. Though thats probably wrong.
Jagsman
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby AlanM » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:11 am

I'd agree with that jagsman. The building housing the Bank of Scotland is Charing Cross Mansions and the imposing one across the way is St George's Mansions.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:58 am

Vinny,
Glad you liked them. The buildings in the third picture are: to the left, the Grand Hotel - I have pictures of the demolition but have refrained from posting them as it would upset many HG users; to the centre left, St. George's Mansions, still looking good; to the centre right, shops and houses in Woodlands Rd. alll gone- my mistake in earlier posting saying it was Woodside Rd. I've more of this block somewhere. Finally, to the right , Charing Cross Mansions, still there, thank goodness.

Le dùrachd,

Dimairt
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vinny » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:00 pm

Thanks for that - it would indeed make an excellent Past/Present!
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Graham » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:32 pm

dimairt wrote: The buildings in the third picture are: to the left, the Grand Hotel - I have pictures of the demolition

Any chance you could post them or better still email them to me and I can try and fit them into a Past and Present Timelapse animation? :)
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:40 pm

I would love to see the demolition pic`s, but if it upsets others ,then PM me please.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:45 pm

scaryman2u wrote:I would love to see the demolition pic`s, but if it upsets others ,then PM me please.

I could always make up a timelapse in reverse and have the building going UP instead of down :roll:
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:49 pm

Post them up please!!
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby McShad » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:56 pm

Yeah, post them up! It may be upsetting, but I doubt anyone will burst into tears over something that was done years ago... whats done is done and hopefully its accepted if not agreed with
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects