Park Circus

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Squigster » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:42 pm

I stayed in student halls at 8 Park Circus, and the views from the top floor were absolutely stunning. The current residents wouldn't be best pleased if they built flats which would totally ruin the view from the lower floors. (The halls were sold off and converted to posh flats).

Squigster
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:03 pm

ozneil wrote:Its terrible!!! It has to be stopped!!!

I think Page & Park should turn over a new leaf!!!

In late 60's Parking meters were banned because it would bugger up the street scape & also bugger up my parking!!!

Sheesh!! this takes banal architecture to new heights or should that be lows.
I thought you'd at least require an 'O' level in basic Technical Drawing to be an architect these days, obviously not.
This is typical Etch-A-Sketch mediocrity replicated everywhere you look.
It's about time they moved on dontcha think why not try Spiro-Graph for a change guy's there's a CAD plugin if you google for it :roll:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

errr

Postby cataclyzm » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:11 pm

I like it.

I like modern intermingled with older and I think they can compliment one another. One adds to the other in this development and I think it works aesthetically.

I'm not an architectural snob, just as long as they don't destroy what already earned its place to be there. ie. what's happened in the east and north of the city in the last 40 years.

I don't think that one part of the city can be exempt from change and the poorer districts sole victims to the irrascible changes of GCC.

I think that St.Vincent street Church by Thompson is more beautiful because of the glass towers around it.

robert.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: errr

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:31 pm

cataclyzm wrote:II think that St.Vincent street Church by Thompson is more beautiful because of the glass towers around it.

You two may have a valid point there, Bobby me boys, the rest of your post is just stirring the keech ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cataclyzm » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:49 pm

I never thought about that until you said it. Strange.

I do sometimes have a chip on my shoulder - but I am human. I am very conscious of things being equal and socially fair.

I have an authentication certificate somewhere. Maybe you'd like to see it?

:o

robert.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby little lane » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:10 pm

Mori's post shows two very different proposals.

I have to say I quite like the bottom one, with the wavy sandstone / glass front.
I know it's totally nothing like it really, but it reminds me of the front of the Glasgow School of art with the big windows like that!
little lane
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:03 pm

little lane wrote:Mori's post shows two very different proposals.

I have to say I quite like the bottom one, with the wavy sandstone / glass front.

Aye, they've at least made some effort to design something that'll fit in with the surroundings. The other one's a horror, though. Who keeps designing houses that look like stacks of cargo containers? Why haven't they been killed?
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:10 pm

I have to say Im still not entirely convinced this new proposal does "fit in with the surroundings", Park Circus is not made up of bowed tenements like the majority of Glasgow, they are subdivided townhouses and so of a very different form to the that suggested in the new proposal. Just doesn't quite work for me. Can't argue with the pallette though!
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Mori » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:04 am

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.1349711.0.0.php

Controversial plan for Park Circus could finally be given go-ahead

A controversial plan for a residential development in an internationally-renowned conservation area could be given the go-ahead today, five years after a public inquiry rejected it.

The Stewart Milne Group wants to build 107 apartments and a 115-space underground car park in Glasgow's Park Circus district, widely acknowledged as one of Scotland's Victorian jewels. The city council is recommending that the £15m scheme is approved by its Planning Committee today.

A previous bid by the firm was denounced as "vandalism" by some councillors, while Historic Scotland and the Architectural Heritage Society had also objected.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:39 pm

TV news report on it here
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:59 pm

If there ever was a helping hand for voting decision making.....
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:17 pm

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.1352362.0.0.php

A £15MILLION plan to build more than 107 flats in one of Glasgow's conservation areas has been approved - but one politician said the decision would have the original architect "turning in his grave".

The comment was made after the city council gave planning permission for 107 flats in a curved block with a copper roof in Park Circus Lane, near Charing Cross.

Park Circus was designed by Charles Wilson around 1850, but after the new scheme was approved, former Pollok SSP councillor Keith Baldassara said: "Charles Wilson would be turning in his grave if he thought this new building was going to be completed with a copper roof."

And former Hillhead councillor Niall Walker shouted at the planning committee: "You should be ashamed."
advertisement

It was the second time the council had given permission for a scheme at the site.

The first was in July 2001 when the Stewart Milne Group was told it could build 100 flats and six mews houses.

However, the council decision was overturned by the Scottish Executive following a public inquiry in April 2002. Because the land is owned by the council, this latest decision will also have to be approved by the Executive.

The flats will be built on empty land intended to be incorporated into the original scheme. Objectors say the area has foxes, squirrels and birds, but the council says the foxes will be moved to a new location before work starts.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:35 pm

you can always count on the good old glasgow city council :evil: :twisted:
this truly is nothing short of vandalism . sickening . :x
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:38 pm

£15 Million for 107 Apartments is about £140,000 build per unit.

Say within £15 Million is £5 Million for the land = £10 Million build cost.

£10 Million build cost = £93,450 build cost per Unit = cheap and tacky.

So if they sell the Apartments for £300,000 - £140,000 = £160,000 x 107 = £17,120,00 profit

It is / was Council Land. Often wondered why the Council do not do some in house Developing and realise £17,000,000 for the City...?

Or do a better quality build and make about £12,000,000? Nah just take the £5,000,000 quick cash and run.....idiots.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:17 pm

stinkpad wrote:It's been a gap site since it was built as the developers ran out of money in the 1850s.

More likely a result of the collapse of the City of Glasgow Bank in 1878. That was responsible for a lot of unfinished building work around that time with. For example, tenement blocks that start out with fancy stonework and suddenly change to a much simpler style halfway through as the builders either ran out of money or went bankrupt and the project was taken on by others.
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development