Chrysler / Talbot Car Factory, Linwood

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby downward_spiral » Sat May 13, 2006 9:31 pm

Pripyat wrote:Remember something he was talking about last week about
Pressed Steel and how they made either the entire thing
or parts for the <pic of a 303>

AFAIK the 303s were built entirely at Pressed Steel in Linwood. I think they also built some DMUs - the Class 117s which were mainly for darnsarf but ended up spending the remainder of their lives working in Fife.

What I don't know is.. did the Talbot plant have any connection with Pressed Steel? Were any of the units built in the buildings photographed in this thread?

Here's a pic of them at the place in question:

David
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat May 13, 2006 9:35 pm

downward_spiral wrote:
What I don't know is.. did the Talbot plant have any connection with Pressed Steel? Were any of the units built in the buildings photographed in this thread?

Info on Linwood here http://www.imps4ever.info/linwood/pressed_steel/pressed_steel.html
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Mon May 15, 2006 1:28 pm

The steel plant was at Linwood long before the ill fated decision was taken to build the Rootes Group car factory. This photo from SCRAN shows it in wartime camouflage.
For the railway minded among you the G&SW main line to Ayr runs across the middle of the picture and meets the Canal line, and the Paisley and Barrhead District line runs bottom left to top right. You can make out sidings at the factory as well as Meikleriggs good depot and the old Elderslie tram depot.

I sem to remember reading that the Presed Steel Company was bought in the mid sixties by BMC and made car bodies for them.
Last edited by Sir Roger DeLodgerley on Mon May 15, 2006 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Mon May 15, 2006 2:10 pm

downward_spiral wrote:AFAIK the 303s were built entirely at Pressed Steel in Linwood......
....... Were any of the units built in the buildings photographed in this thread?

Here's a pic of them at the place in question:

Think you will find that this photograph was taken in the now demolished Hyndland Depot.

A shot of the units under construction in Pressed Steel

Note that the roof is much higher to accomodate the travelling crane.
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby downward_spiral » Mon May 15, 2006 8:49 pm

You're totally right Alycidon, beg your pardon :)

I have one of the original booklets, but I don't have it over here in Embra with me so I don't have the captions handy. I ended up picking the first likely photo off the net.

The one you posted is one of the ones I was looking for. There's another phot in the book of someone fixing the pan, which IIRC is also in Pressed Steel.

David
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Tue May 16, 2006 6:33 am

Full pdf copy of the book can be downloaded at http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/BRS_Glasgow1960.pdf

That site is becoming a "must see" for all railway enthusiasts and historians, other Glasgow related documents are the full accident reports for the tragic Bellgrove, Newton and Paisley crashes Home page http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:31 am

Pressed Steel at Linwood was also where these started life.....

I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Chris H » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:08 am

pressed steel like rootes were awfull.

I had (all deid now) relatives that worked in both, shockingly bad, theres nothing worse than brittish engineering in all honesty.

Pressed Steel only made the Volvo panels for a few thousand before Volvo saw how terrible the pressings were and they went somewhere else.

I'm just round the corner from the linwood plant and its comign down pretty quick now, won't be here for much longer.
Chris H
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Graham » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:15 am

Somewhere up in my loft I have the SDA redevelopment plans for the Linwood site from around 1980 plus a copy of the document produced by the unions to try and persuade PSA (who by this time had bought the Linwood operation from Chrysler for £1) not to close the factory. It makes for pretty sad reading as they have no real case and were basically just pleading desperately for their livelihoods
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hughie » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:51 am

Before coming to Oz in 1964 I was working in Ardeer foundry in Stevenston in the non-ferous section. The aluminium we used was from the Hillman Imp reject castings.
Retired doon the Watter in Australia.
hughie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Previous

Return to Around the World