The Heart Of Glasgow - Glasgow's Eight Oldest Streets

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby cataclyzm » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:07 am

Hi,

Really beautiful and so unusual in its style. It's a law unto itself the mercat building. The tenements around there are stunning and the wee streets near the old pet shop and St.Andrew's Square. Just thinking about them gives me goosebumps.

I love that area of Glasgow and I can remember when the washroom and baths were still open at the left hand side of the pet shop (is it still a pet shop?)

Years ago as a schoolkid - i did a terrible thing. I snuck into that pet shop with a plastic bag full of water and stole a large comet gold fish. I'd planned the crime since i'd seen the fish a week or so earlier and wanted it for my collection but had no money. I did get on a bus with the full size carrier bag full of water.

To whom it may concern - I'm sorry as I was just a stupid kid.

robert.
;)
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:08 am

cataclyzm wrote:Hi,

Really beautiful and so unusual in its style. It's a law unto itself the mercat building. The tenements around there are stunning and the wee streets near the old pet shop and St.Andrew's Square. Just thinking about them gives me goosebumps.

I love that area of Glasgow and I can remember when the washroom and baths were still open at the left hand side of the pet shop (is it still a pet shop?)

Years ago as a schoolkid - i did a terrible thing. I snuck into that pet shop with a plastic bag full of water and stole a large comet gold fish. I'd planned the crime since i'd seen the fish a week or so earlier and wanted it for my collection but had no money. I did get on a bus with the full size carrier bag full of water.

robert.
;)

Image <<<< ::): ::):

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:34 am

cataclyzm wrote:Hi,

robert.
;)

I am stupidly impressed by that achievement. And yes it is still a pet shop, I bought a present for My Kitten's kitten there recently. And yes, the Mercat Building is wonderful. I would love to know what happens in the floors above the furniture shop.

Anyone?
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:38 am

Well, there's a debt collection agency on the second floor just round the left hand corner for a start. As I found out when I went Down South for a year and forgot to set up a standing order for my Council Tax :oops: .
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:39 am

Washroom & baths ? as in swimming ?? I dont know where they coold have been. If I am able, I am off for a look this week. I thought it was all railway arches round there, not excavated enough for baths.

St Andrews Sq takes my breath away, I huv friends who hav a pied a terre there (for rent, great wee money maker ) and I often go to to the source cafe for eats. But, ye know, whenye turn off Saltmarket ... & there it is... uyer heart goes BUMP.... well mine dis
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:40 am

Architect's office on the top floor.

(Of the Mercat)
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby elgee » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:43 am

Izzat wher u ar ? NOW ??
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:44 am

Hah, no, a tutor of mine owns the practice.
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

definitely washroom with loads of baths

Postby cataclyzm » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:05 pm

Yeppers,

there was definitely a washroom with loads of baths inside, just to the left of the pet shop. It was used by the people who lived in the tenements around the trongate. In fact - there would be something remiss if it hadn't existed.

The railway arches mentioned are across the road from the pet shop and what would have been the baths/steamie.

It must have existed up until about 1978 and I saw the baths several times as a kid during the 1970s (not literally...:)).

I also remember the baths and steam rooms around Calder Street and they existed at the bottom of a very grand road of tenements that no longer exist. They sat like a roman temple at the bottom of the road. A relative of mine lived in the tenements and the stone staircases were worn from all the footsteps over the century - I always remember that. They were beautiful tenements. Some closes still had the outside toilets that by that stage were no longer used. Oh dear - my heart's breaking again.

Fuck - far too many memories.

Robert
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Monument » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:35 pm

Went for a wee walk this morning before the clouds came out. This is Burrell's lane, between High St and Duke St, opposite the old pumping station. I was wondering what might have been located in the area under the yard. Some sort of workshop maybe?

A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:46 pm

I think its Mossman the sculptors workspace/shops under there Dr K :)
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Re: Cathures

Postby Timchilli » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:51 pm

cataclyzm wrote:St.Mungo was the illegitimate son of an eastern Scottish Princess who was banished from the Lothian area by her pagan father (a lothian King) for adopting Christian beliefs. On her own and without protection she was raped and destitute until saved by some Christian Monks and given sanctuary.

The mother of St Kentigern/Mungo was St Thenaw ("St Enoch" being a corruption of this name). Her remains were said to be interred under St Enoch's Church. Sadly, there's no plaque or memorial on this site now. Shameful.

cataclyzm wrote:She gave birth to Mungo who was mentored as a child by a holy man named Fergus who Mungo spent his formative years learning from. Upon Fergus' death in old age - Mungo placed Fergus' body on a cart and vowed to establish a church where the animals pulling the cart came to rest. That place he named: Glas Chae (ancient welsh) which meant: the green hollows/green place.

I've always assumed that the name 'Glasgow' came from Clas-gu meaning dear family. Am I wrong?

Tim
Last edited by Timchilli on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

hey there

Postby cataclyzm » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:42 pm

hi,

You could be right. We'd have to look at the translation of the ancient welsh of Glescae/Gleschae et al.

My own take on it, if I may be so bold: The area around the Molendinar stream where it flows through the valley(obviously now underground) and where the Cathedral now stands was known as the "dear place" and was known for its beauty and tranquility and was held as a spiritual and sacred place.

I think you can still get a sense of that when you visit the area and walk over the bridge of sighs or underneath it. I do believe there are places that seem to pool a kind of resonance that we can't explain but can feel. I know I can and to me this place is sacred ground and probably one of the reasons why the Victorians chose it for the Necropolis.

I can't put into words the sense and emotion that this area of Glasgow brings to me. Even on the busiest days in the city the Molendinar area around the green hollows seems to push the world back and demand its own kind of ambience.

I think and hope and pray that one day the road underneath the bridge of sighs will be closed off and the whole area made into a kind of spiritual glen and the Molendinar restored to the surface. It's shameful how this area has been covered over as it really is where Glasgow began in every sense of the word.

Maybe if enough of us can envisage that - we might see it happen.

Anyway: enough of my ramblings.
all the best
Robert.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

hey there

Postby cataclyzm » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:54 pm

hi,

Also! :D

This area glas-cu/ glescae et al was also clearly known as: Cathures. I'm not sure what that means.

Life before the Anglo Saxons eh? ;)

I don't want to claim to be an expert I just follow my heart and recall what I remember from books.

ps. after leaving Glasgow for another country I often remembered the old man from Sprinburn with his wee dog. He walked everywhere - all over the city. He was a kind man and in a dark period of my life he brought a little light. Just an ordinary Glasgow man.
Years later when I returned to Glasgow and to the Necropolis and showed my friend the Cathedral and the place that I loved, we leaned over the bridge and I looked up the road towards the Royal. Who was walking towards us underneath the bridge with his wee dog? yep, the wee man.
From a distance he looked at me and I smiled and he waved at me in recognition and I knew that Glasgow had given me a gift of remembrance. A gift of her own kindness in a world that can be cruel in a place that has been broken.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: hey there

Postby John » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:59 pm

cataclyzm wrote:hi,

Also! :D

This area glas-cu/ glescae et al was also clearly known as: Cathures. I'm not sure what that means.

Life before the Anglo Saxons eh? ;)

I don't want to claim to be an expert I just follow my heart and recall what I remember from books.

ps. after leaving Glasgow for another country I often remembered the old man from Sprinburn with his wee dog. He walked everywhere - all over the city. He was a kind man and in a dark period of my life he brought a little light. Just an ordinary Glasgow man.
Years later when I returned to Glasgow and to the Necropolis and showed my friend the Cathedral and the place that I loved, we leaned over the bridge and I looked up the road towards the Royal. Who was walking towards us underneath the bridge with his wee dog? yep, the wee man.
From a distance he looked at me and I smiled and he waved at me in recognition and I knew that Glasgow had given me a gift of remembrance. A gift of her own kindness in a world that can be cruel in a place that has been broken.

What an amazing memory. Strange and wonderful things happen in this city (sometimes).
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects