Glasgow's Past.....Where would you go?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:38 pm

I suppose the closest we'll get to any of our dreams, is when a faultless virtual reality system is invented.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby eltor2ga » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:50 pm

ninatoo wrote:Well, it wasn't part of Glasgow back then (I think) but close enough...I would go back to exactly 23rd September 1870 to 60 Merkland Street Partick and wait there all day and night until my great great grandfather and his bride showed up to get married. Then I would browbeat them both until they told me the truth about their parents! :evil: SHE certainly lied on the marriage registration, and I think he did too....

Nina

I've been researching my family history for 3 years now and I agree with ninatoo. It would be great solving all the wee mysteries that turn up. And it would be great to see what they looked like, what their personalities were like, etc.
eltor2ga
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby John » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:05 pm

I recently had a dream in which SmartAlex invented software which converted any photograph into a moving picture. It was amazing and would be the ultimate PhotoShop plugin :D

You could look at an old photograph of the city and it would come to life and time would pass in real time so you could continue to watch and see all the things that happened after the photograph was taken. It then got quite interesting to find several shots of the same location from different times to try and get a complete historical view.

I really must start taking the pills again :?

Well done to SmartAlex. 8)

John
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Smartalex » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:49 pm

Yeah, Cheers John. ::):

I haven't had time to put into my research and development of said future technology, They just don't have the resources in my Lab/Pub. :wink:

I still think this would be a great idea but you just need to dream someone up who would be better at invention than me. 8)
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby eltor2ga » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:12 pm

Cool! But just moving images wouldn't do. I'd want sound and smell also. And the ability to interact with the image.
eltor2ga
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby John » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:34 pm

eltor2ga wrote:Cool! But just moving images wouldn't do. I'd want sound and smell also. And the ability to interact with the image.

The dream did have sound. Interaction and smell are reserved for timetravel plugin release 2.0!
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby eltor2ga » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:54 pm

JohnR wrote:
eltor2ga wrote:Cool! But just moving images wouldn't do. I'd want sound and smell also. And the ability to interact with the image.

The dream did have sound. Interaction and smell are reserved for timetravel plugin release 2.0!

Excellent! I'll keep an eye out for a pirate copy on Kilburn High Rd this weekend :twisted:
eltor2ga
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dimairt » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:33 pm

"The past is a foreign country , they do things different there."

One of the things I like about HG is the way in which memories are both prompted and corrected e.g. the recent long-running 'where is it' on Maryhill Rd.
I'd plump for a day-trip to the Garscube Rd. in the early 1960s, taking a camera with me for a photo of Oakbank Terrace -I've not found one yet.
Let me know when that time-maching turns up.

Le durachd,

Dimairt
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:56 pm

Whereabouts is Oakbank Terrace on Garscube Road, dimairt ? Is it (or was it) around the industrial estate ?
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:26 am

glasgowken wrote:Whereabouts is Oakbank Terrace on Garscube Road, dimairt ? Is it (or was it) around the industrial estate ?

It was on the Garscube Rd. directly opposite Oakbank Primary. The site is now an industrial estate.

Le durachd,
Dimairt
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby eltor2ga » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:41 pm

I recently discovered a connection between the woman in this link and my own family tree.

>clicky<

I'd love to see that with my own eyes.
eltor2ga
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:06 pm

you don't need your eyes wide open to see this

http://tinyurl.com/2h9esu

use http://tinyurl.com/
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:04 pm

or just get to grips with basic html tags as per the FAQ thread in the Forum Issues sub section
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby vinny » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:34 pm

dimairt wrote:
glasgowken wrote:Whereabouts is Oakbank Terrace on Garscube Road, dimairt ? Is it (or was it) around the industrial estate ?

It was on the Garscube Rd. directly opposite Oakbank Primary. The site is now an industrial estate.

Le durachd,
Dimairt

My dad was brought up in Phoenix Park Terrace, which I think is now covered by that industrial estate. I managed to find photos of Phoenix Park itself (removed to bulid the M8) but not of the street itself.
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:10 pm

Time machine eh?

Love to go to an Old Firm match at the old Ibrox in the 60's. Apart from that, I think I'd just like a day to see as much as I could, St.Enoch's Hotel, old underground, walk under the Clyde etc...
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)