20MPH limit for city centre

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

20MPH limit for city centre

Postby yoker brian » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:38 pm

Here's the latest idea from Glasgow's Secret Service (oops sorry I meant the Evening Times).

I cannot recall a time when I was able to go travel at 15 mph in the city centre let alone 20 or 30mph.

This will have no effect on improving congestion, as per the ET Get Glasgow Moving campaign, all it will do is mean that cars are stuck in traffic for longer and pumping more fumes into the atmosphere.

If they want to do something about the should ban cars from the city centre between the hours of say 7:30 am - 7.30 pm, that would force people onto public transport
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: 20MPH limit for city centre

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:45 pm

yoker brian wrote:Here's the latest idea from Glasgow's Secret Service (oops sorry I meant the Evening Times).

I cannot recall a time when I was able to go travel at 15 mph in the city centre let alone 20 or 30mph.

This will have no effect on improving congestion, as per the ET Get Glasgow Moving campaign, all it will do is mean that cars are stuck in traffic for longer and pumping more fumes into the atmosphere.

If they want to do something about the should ban cars from the city centre between the hours of say 7:30 am - 7.30 pm, that would force people onto public transport

I've been aggitating for a 20s Plenty zone around Sgoil Ghaidhlig Ghlaschu for a couple of years. I've recently been told that the delay is due to the need to provide power so the signs can be illuminated.

I'd welcome a 20 mph across the city centre provided it can properly enforced. Nobody seems to enforce the current limit.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:48 pm

Let's face it, a 20mph speed limit in the city is 19mph too fast at certain times of the day.
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:36 pm

I wonder how many revenue raising cameras will be required per street to enforce it? :roll:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:44 pm

I think this is just to see if we will put up with it before they sneak in the congestion charges. :evil:
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ootthewindae » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:52 pm

Hi Folks.
Where i live we have a 20mph limit in the city centre it is adhered to by all with the exception of the baseball capped tattooed fakwits!.It's sssoooo nice when our local constabulary make one of their purges in the city centre to see the fakwits having their car's impounded for various offences.Seriously though we have had the speed restriction for 2 years and the number of pedestrian collisions with cars has dramatically reduced, this along with pedestrian only streets has made a busy city safer.
Don't be silly.all clever people have big ears...........
ootthewindae
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dave2 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:31 pm

The whole idea is i think that instead of people accelerating up to 30 only to have to slow for the next congestion, if they move at 20 there is less stop start bunching. Moving at 20 for a minute feels better apparently) than 30 for 20 seconds, stopped for 20 seconds etc. It also leads to fewer car-on-car accidents. Also the effect of a car-on-pedestrian accident is lessened (the at 40mph, there's a 90% chance I'll die; at 30moh there's a 90% chance I'll live advert extrapolates to include serious injury, though as ever it depends where the person is hit, how they fall , pre-existing medical conditions etc.)
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:44 am

If the 20mph sign is circled in green, its only a suggested speed :D
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:33 am

Halving the number of bus stops would be a far more useful exercise to get traffic moving. And telling First Bus that they are other streets in town that buses could use than Renfield St/Union St would also be useful.
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:19 am

I rarely drive in the city centre these days, it's far more hassle than its worth during the day.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:59 am

I went towards the town last week as I had to head into George Square to pick someone up from the Station. (I am terrible at remembering street names) So there I was heading towards the the Tron Church (?) through along West George Street (?) and because my car has a digital speedo - I clocked up and amazing 0 miles per hour driving along that road, which took 20 minutes for a 700 yard journey.

I knew I should have suggested to the person to get a taxi but they had never been to Glasgow and were a little bit worried as to where to go, how to get there and if they would be there on time. Well they were on time but they were shocked at the amount of cars parked, the amount of taxis and the number of buses on the streets.

What really surprised them was the number of few places for lorry deliveries in a big city such as ours and they couldn't understand why buses are allowed to straddle yellow boxes. I turned to them and said, 'Welcome to Glasgow.'
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:31 am

tedmaul wrote:Halving the number of bus stops would be a far more useful exercise to get traffic moving. ...................

That's a good thought. It never ceases to amaze me that the stretch of St Vincent St between Finnieston and (roughly) Elmbank St needs 4 stops on one side of the street and 3 stops on the other.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:46 am

onyirtodd wrote:
tedmaul wrote:Halving the number of bus stops would be a far more useful exercise to get traffic moving. ...................

That's a good thought. It never ceases to amaze me that the stretch of St Vincent St between Finnieston and (roughly) Elmbank St needs 4 stops on one side of the street and 3 stops on the other.

Totally agree with that one! There are far too many on Dumbarton Road - Argyle St/Sauchiehall St. I keep getting stuck behind buses when they stop every couple of metres (and why are there always two or three of them moving in a conga?!).
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:56 am

Ally Doll wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:

Totally agree with that one! There are far too many on Dumbarton Road - Argyle St/Sauchiehall St. I keep getting stuck behind buses when they stop every couple of metres (and why are there always two or three of them moving in a conga?!).

Maybe local councillors see getting extra bus stops in their ward as a sort of virility symbol :roll:
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:13 pm

Would either of you happen to travel by bus, perhaps? Or be a pensioner? Or have mobility difficulties? Thought not. :)

If there is a stretch of road down which a moderate to large number of services have to funnel before fanning out to their eventual destination (or, conversely, before arriving at a focal point such as Glasgow City Centre), then it makes sense to split the bus stops between services rather than have them triple parking for two or three minutes at a time and therefore completely blocking the road, which I presume would annoy the mobile pollution unit operators behind them even more.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)