Church Street pool

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Church Street pool

Postby duncan » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:52 pm

This is somewhere I would like to
a: explore
b: use

It's almost on my doorstep, but it seems to be fairly secure. Reading on the web, there was some talk a couple years ago of getting it re-opened, but not heard anything new on that. Some photos:

date here seems to be 1966:

This is in the building that can be glimpsed on the far right of the 1st photo above:

duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Church Street pool

Postby aliferste » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:10 pm

duncan wrote:This is somewhere I would like to

b: use

All you need is a pair of trunks and a heavy rainfall

:)
aliferste
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:54 am

Just one of many abandoned pools in Glasgow/Glasgow area, others include: -
> Whiteinch
> Temple
> Clydebank
> The one in the south side where there was lots of protest
---plus many more that I don't know about.

Mark.
Mark
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby red_kola » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:39 am

Mark wrote:Just one of many abandoned pools in Glasgow/Glasgow area, others include: -
> Whiteinch
> Temple
> Clydebank
> The one in the south side where there was lots of protest
---plus many more that I don't know about.

Mark.

The one in Govan which was used for a Tramway show in 1997, and again for the wonderful parody of this in "The Book Group" on Channel 4. Still got flumes, boilers in situ, but definitely closed.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mustardman » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:55 pm

I went there as a kid, when I attended primary school. Back then, it was very shabby too, the pool was very victorian and looked like it could have done with a facelift even back in 1990. I remember there was alot of rust about the pool.
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Nikki » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:35 pm

Ok

My school swimming club used to meet on Friday nights in Balshagary Pool in Thornwood and it got closed circa 1995. Then we moved to Church street which got closed circa 1996. There was also a boxing club that trained there. You have to wear a swimming cap at Church street cos they was no hair filter- yuck!
Nikki
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby caine » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:09 am

i used to go to thew whiteinch one which was lovely looking back on it(architecture wise only!!!) its still there, would mind a wee gander in there actually.

i always thought the one on church street could have been used for something being in such a prime location.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

save the pool!

Postby cumbo » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:03 pm

The South Side pool is Govanhill Baths in Calder Street and according to the Evening Times tonight, you had better be quick if you want to photograph it in it's original state.It look's as if the local OAP's ar moving in for a community day care unit.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:40 pm

Shettleston swimming baths in... erm, Shettleston closed about ten years ago (I think) and has lain empty since. Its quite a large barrel-vaulted victorian bath house with a steamie that was in operation until a few years before the pool closure. Quite a nice old building, the pool hall oriented east/west with the shower block to the east end opening straight onto the pool with cubicles arranged along the perimeter of the pool and on two levels... paint hanging off the ceiling, chlorine content of the water so high it would melt your hair, no locks on the cubicles 8O , and the obligatory jobbie floating about the shallow end *boke* ::):
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Ronnie » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:42 pm

crusty_bint wrote:... paint hanging off the ceiling, chlorine content of the water so high it would melt your hair, no locks on the cubicles 8O , and the obligatory jobbie floating about the shallow end *boke* ::):

Not like Church Street. In true west end fashion, it was a croissant floating in the shallow end. And a coiffeur at the door on the way out to restore your locks to their pristine state. Aye, and the chitterin' bites was vegetarian caviare on hand-made olive flatbread.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:45 pm

crusty_bint wrote:... paint hanging off the ceiling, chlorine content of the water so high it would melt your hair, no locks on the cubicles 8O , and the obligatory jobbie floating about the shallow end *boke* ::):

Not like Church Street. In true west end fashion, it was a croissant floating in the shallow end. And a coiffeur at the door on the way out to restore your locks to their pristine state. Aye, and the chitterin' bites was vegetarian caviare on hand-made olive flatbread.
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:20 pm

Ronnie do they still have Towel boys at the Arrlington Baths? :wink:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:37 pm

cumbo wrote:Ronnie do they still have Towel boys at the Arrlington Baths? :wink:

and what does go on in the Turkish room?
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Seamey » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:52 pm

They were in Gairbraid Street dunno if the building is still there - at school we always used to think that the water from the canal supplied the baths. It certianly felt that way some mornings.

Seamey
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:56 pm

cumbo wrote:Ronnie do they still have Towel boys at the Arrlington Baths? :wink:

Sorry, no idea, I was a Western Baths man myself.
And you had to collect your own towels.
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)