Most violent streets in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby DickyHart » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:49 pm

something thats dumbfounding me..I am presently working with a group of kids from Cambuslang, who are potentail fireraisers etc, doing the the thing calling fire brigade on fake calls etc. Ive no complaints about the work, it needs to be done to change attitudes etc. But my concern is they are expecting firefighters to be youth workers as well. The fella i am partnered up with is very good, dont get me wrong, but he was "volunteered" for the gig. I don't think its his job to be that close in. in an open your eyes aspect yes, but he is pulled away from the job he trained for. he has told me many times this is not what he's paid for. But they seem to be chucking money at this. The project has been succesful, im not moaning about that, He does well with it through his own life experience. but Im concerned that this is someone passing the buck. I read yesterday its being rolled out across scotland.
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cataclyzm » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:21 pm

There are lots of different types of violence. My favouite is when corrupt regimes of long standing get sprayed with effluent in the town square.

Shall we get George square ready ?

:wink:
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:25 pm

My father said to me once, the trouble with society now is that people lack the respect for each other.

Anarchy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:36 am

I think the police will have to go some for anyone to believe this, it seems as bad as ever out there if you look at these facts in reality. :?

i'm not moaning really i'm not but lots of more has to be done to get the streets safe again

Writing's on the wall for violent gangs

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.1186000.0.writings_on_the_wall_for_violent_gangs.php

VIOLENT crime across a huge swathe of Glasgow has dropped 17% thanks to a massive anti-gangs operation, say police.

Officers say the reduction in violence includes a 13% fall in serious assaults.

They put the results down to the high-profile Operation Tag, which runs across Strathclyde Police's Glasgow South and East Renfrewshire division

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby trudger » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:38 am

Mori wrote:I think the police will have to go some for anyone to believe this, it seems as bad as ever out there if you look at these facts in reality. :?

i'm not moaning really i'm not but lots of more has to be done to get the streets safe again

Writing's on the wall for violent gangs

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.1186000.0.writings_on_the_wall_for_violent_gangs.php

VIOLENT crime across a huge swathe of Glasgow has dropped 17% thanks to a massive anti-gangs operation, say police.

Officers say the reduction in violence includes a 13% fall in serious assaults.

They put the results down to the high-profile Operation Tag, which runs across Strathclyde Police's Glasgow South and East Renfrewshire division

He may be a young thug with a big stick and questionable dress sense but at least hes wearing his gloves. His Gran would be pleased.

This is a sickening topic, I'm at the head in the sand stage cos no one in a position of power seems to have an idea of what to do about it. I cant see it getting any better and its scary to think of it getting worse.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:57 am

I often think/hope that one day, the good people of glasgow, which outnumber the wee fannies, exercise a bit of vigilante justice
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Are HG'rs more gullible than ordinary people or just as.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:08 am

He may be a young thug with a big stick and questionable dress sense but at least hes wearing his gloves. His Gran would be pleased.

He's a model. Neds wearing gloves because of skelfs! And Burberry is so passe since the factory closed in wales

Try jury duty if you believe everything the police or their PR staff say.

or even better head for teh Mitchell and read a daily record from any era and michty me the Pat Roller colimn could be printed today as contemporarywithout much change to his copy.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:12 am

Well said Dexter! I've never seen any of this in my day...

Plain clothes DI George Johnston being slashed by a youth on Renfield St, 1971
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:31 am

McShad wrote:I often think/hope that one day, the good people of glasgow, which outnumber the wee fannies, exercise a bit of vigilante justice

Don't bring yourself down to their level it's who not which.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MadMac » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:53 pm

crusty_bint wrote:Well said Dexter! I've never seen any of this in my day...

Wasn't this an Orange Walk? I remember the pic well.
MadMac
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:32 pm

Althought there's a union flag visible, I dont see the bowler hats or band uniforms you'd normally expect with an orange walk.

Looks like a hammer and sickle on one of the banners as well (Just below the word (possibly) 'league' (Young Communist League?)
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:59 pm

Then again with that Union jack it could be The Primrose League.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MadMac » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:01 pm

I remeber seeing this picture in the Daily Ranger many years ago, and the caption indicated that it was an Orange Walk. Given the mixture of banners/flags in the background, it might have been something else (Troops Out with some kind of counter-demo?).
MadMac
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby trudger » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:17 am

crusty_bint wrote:Well said Dexter! I've never seen any of this in my day...

This pic was used on the first editions of a book on Glasgow crime called Such Bad Company - you can still get a diluted version of it. I'm sure the photo comes from a demonstration, not an orange walk. In the picture, the ned is trying to slash the DI while he goes for his baton. In another book, I saw the rest of the photos where the DI gets the ned on to the ground and a number of police intervene. Fortunately, I dont think the DI was injured but it is a great photo.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:16 pm

There's a huge version of this pic on the wall of the Strathclyde Police museum, in the basement of the Pitt Street HQ.
They (or Alistair Dinsmor at the Glasgow Police musuem at Trongate) could give you the full story. Alistair especially is a mine of information on old Glasgow police stories.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)