space shuttle visits glesga

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby yoker brian » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:55 pm

As i stated earlier in this thread we were allowed out into the playground to see the shuttle fly over, the two things i can remember about that day is it was a nice warm day (May/June time) and that the 747/Shuttle combo flew from west to east and not on the usual flight path to/from Glasgow airport.

This I can only assume is was because that it didn't stop at Glasgow for re-fuelling, but probably stopped at Prestwick, which was at that time the airport for transatlantic flights, and was also probably used regularly by the US Service's given it's relatively close proximity to the base at Holy Loch for personnel & supplies.

Just done a quick Google the Paris Air show in 1983 did feature the space shuttle.

I have also stumbled across site which has photographs of the 747 & Shuttle at London Stansted on 5th June 1983. Might be worth having a look around in the Mitchell, they will have the local papers on microfiche

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?datesearch=June%205%2C%201983&distinct_entry=true

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1558938
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:02 pm

Here is a pic from the NASA site to give an idea of that amazing childhood site which many people think was a dream.

Two points if you can tell me what the photy below relates to.

Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby Socceroo » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:06 pm

Dead Astronauts
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:09 pm

The two points are yours. You will now be entered in my prize draw.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby chipsteak » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:29 pm

Thanks for the links and pics.

From what i recall it must have flying quite low considering the detail i remember.

Cheers.
chipsteak
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby JayKay » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:15 am

...meanwhile, in Soviet Russia...

*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: space shuttle visits glesga

Postby yoker brian » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:25 pm

**Bump Alert**

The space shuttle flew over Glasgow on Tuesday 6th June 1983 on it's way home from the Paris Airshow - I have confirmed this after checking online sites and looking at the microfiche copies of the Mitchell Library

This ties in with my earlier posts on this - I was in primary 3 or 4 at the time and we had been allowed out to the play ground to see it after my mate Jason's father had told the teacher in no uncertain terms that his boy had to see the shuttle!

So Thank You big Ronnie S - for making a wee Yoker Brian a space cadet for life :roll:
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:26 pm

"The space shuttle flew over Glasgow on Tuesday 6th June 1983 on it's way home from the Paris Airshow - I have confirmed this after checking online sites and looking at the microfiche copies of the Mitchell Library"

Hmmmmm, the date feels right, but if I remember correctly it flew from Blackhill towards Sandyhills, which of course means it was flying towards Paris at the time. But of course I could be 180 degrees wrong. It did fly very low in an unusual flight path, hence stuck out like a.....space shuttle on the back of a 747 on a Tuesday.

But it was simply magical to watch.

But do recall that at the time of the first Columbia launch, the shuttle figured extensively in the Ford brochures, which made them highly prized by wee boys who were at least a decade shy of buying a new Ford. Skelly's couldn't keep up with the new found demand.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Forgot to add it was the Shuttle named Enterprise
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:25 pm

Just checked with a fellow witness, It definitely flew West to East when we saw it. Which would suggest it either flew over Glasgow twice, to and from Paris, or they circled for a closer look of George Square.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fireman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:57 pm

I was on a canal barge near Banbury and it appeared out of the clouds - could hardly believe my eyes as I didn't know anything about it flying over the UK. 8)
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Craford » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:06 pm

To go back a few more years, while at Kings Park Sen.Sec School we were all lined up in the playground to witness the Brabazon fly past. I will post a soda farl to the first with the date it happened.
Craford
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby stevienoo01 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Stansted marks 25th anniversary of NASA Shuttle visit | UK ...
www.airportsinformationblog.co.uk/...ai ... arks-25th- ... - CachedYou +1'd this publicly. Undo
4 Jun 2011 – On 5 June 1983, as part of a one-off European tour, NASA’s Space Shuttle Enterprise touched down at Stansted airport.
hope this helps :D
stevienoo01
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Targer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:56 pm

The Brabazon flew over Glasgow in 53/54 I was at St Gerard's Govan at the time. A great aircraft.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:28 pm

We were all trooped out of Mearns Castle High to watch the shuttle piggy-back flying past. Something I will never forget ( Korsakoff's aside :-E )
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)