Stanley Street School

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby viceroy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:49 pm

A couple of pictures of the church presbytery next door to the school. I fear it is not long for this world.

viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:50 pm

Nice Pics Viceroy, At least the rest of the building looks in good nick, and am glad to see some repair work is under way. :)
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:00 pm

This - as far as I know - is the janitor's house which belonged to the now demolished school on the corner of Middlesex St. and Scotland St. West. It is now being used for office accommodation. It does look rather grand for a jannie's residence but I do remember the school building belonging to it as being absolutely massive, although in a terrible state latterly.

This is where the school building stood before it was demolished a few years ago.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:10 pm

Finally, the school in Lambhill St. which Scaryman mentioned. This is the original building - Lambhill Public School designed by James Salmon & Son and completed in 1876.

This is the extension, which was built in 1931 by the Corporation Education Dept. It is now a nursing home.

The original 1876 block is now called Lambhill Court and is either residential or part of the nursing home, I am not sure which.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vinny » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:25 pm

scaryman2u wrote:The school is still there. I believe it had a rooftop playgroud, the building has been scaffolded at the M8 gable-end for a few years now.

Viceroy, the only other school I can think of in that area is Lambhill St secondary.

To confirm, the school in Stanley St is undergoing refurbishment and is used by Social Work
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Chris H » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:12 am

Lambhill Court is all nursing home, has been for a while. About 4/5 years back an old girlfriend had her gran in there, it wasn't the most pleasant place either.

The VW boy, yeah heard about him, heard he was well pissed when GSF moved from round the corner to pollockshaws road.

The google earth pictures are all quite old, the version you pay for gets more recent pictures but places liek pollock and penilee etc which have gone under redevelopment still show the old schools and so on.
Chris H
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby viceroy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:38 pm

viceroy wrote:the now demolished school on the corner of Middlesex St. and Scotland St. West.

I couldn't remember what this school was called and so looked it up today. It was Kinning Park Public School, opened in October 1877. Locally it was referred to as "Brodie's School" after its first head teacher, Thomas Brodie.

Our Lady & St. Margaret's was actually a replacement for another Roman Catholic primary school dating from 1875 which stood on the same site. It was demolished in 1907.

By the way, how many people know that Kinning Park was at one time an independent burgh complete with its own police force and fire brigade? It functioned as such from 1875 until 1905 when it became part of Glasgow.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:44 pm

The future of Stanley St School, saddening to lose the annexe but thems the breaks, and hardly surprising considering the state of it! A lot of the internal features of the school proper are to be retained tho in what looks to be a high quality build!

www.FutureGlasgow.co.uk wrote:Stanley St Schoolhouse : Uploaded : 09/04/06
Official site

* Planning ref. -
* Developer - Loft Office Ltd
* Architect - TPT Associates
* Usage - Commercial
* Materials -
* Height - 8 floors
* Floor space - 46,142 sq/ft
* Cost -
* Location - 126-136 Stanley St
* Status - U/C
* Start date -
* Completion date -

The former Our Lady and St Margaret's School has been sympathetically refurbished to a high standard with retained period features fusing with copper panels, oak, brushed stainless steel and coloured lighting. Unfortunately a later new build phase will involve demolition of an eclectic Victorian annexe, with only the ground floor wall being retained.

From www.FutureGlasgow.co.uk, THE resource on Glasgow development
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Revamped St Margaret's (Stanley Street) school.

Postby Targer » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:51 pm

Excellent posting on the revamped school. Ofcourse I am saddened by the change being an ex pupil of 1949 vintage. However, on the plus side the facade has been retained and thanks are due the developer (who are usually scum) and the builders. A great effort on their part.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:13 pm

Not alot happening with this building... anyone would think they want it too fall down the rest of the way. Not even a bit of scaffold

McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:03 am

Tiz to be razed to ground floor level McShad, as per my above post. A wee shame really, cheers for the pics.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby McShad » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:10 am

Whats taking them so long? Give me a long arm JCB and I could flatten it before lunch. Longer they leave it like that, more chance of collapse and killing someone
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Stanley Street School

Postby Timmons » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:15 am

OMG this was my school from 1973 - 1980.

:(
Timmons
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Stanley Street School

Postby northmaven » Tue May 21, 2019 2:12 pm

A few years late to the party here, but just joining in to ask if anyone remembers/has info about Lambhill Primary School aka Wee Lammy.

This was a wooden building with a surrounding porch that stood between Renwick St and Craig St (later known as Cowie St).

I'm interested in it because wooden school buildings seem quite unusual in Glasgow though perhaps it was a temporary structure built due to overcrowding? Having said that, my dad (b 1929) attended this school for several years.
northmaven
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)