Searching Before Posting

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Searching Before Posting

Postby Schiehallion » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:00 pm

Is there anything more annoying than searching before posting when multiple crappy threads come up in their thousands. You try to wade through them and realise you cannot spare an entire Saturday afternoon searching threads that run to 6 or 7 pages each. And the ones that do come up are probably so out of date and you could really use an quick answer to plan your weekend so using some tired old thread title about somewhere else is not the best plan. That's assuming you can fing the wee mention tucked away.

So you ask a teeny weeny wee question knowing that to post on HG without searching is exactly why Ceausescu and his missus were shot deid out in the back garden.

So to shorten the story and lengthen the craic as the Irish say, cheesemonster, er, I did search. Unfortunately, despite being raised in Toryglen, I've never heard of the circus being referred to as Queen's Court (cue waggling fingers under the chin). That's why I didn't spend half an hour wading through that thread too.

Just wanted to say all that since the thread was locked quicker than Jade Goody locking her front door when she got home last night.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Searching Before Posting

Postby Socceroo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:02 pm

Schiehallion wrote:So you ask a teeny weeny wee question knowing that to post on HG without searching is exactly why Ceausescu and his missus were shot deid out in the back garden.

::): ::): ::): Schiehallion you just made me choke on a Bacon Roll.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:48 pm

We don't ask much of you...

and it wisnae me locked ur thread... jus so u know :wink:
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:19 pm

crusty_bint wrote:We don't ask much of you...

and it wisnae me locked ur thread... jus so u know :wink:

It was me :twisted:

I blame the author (Fossil) for not making the thread legible enough. No wonder Schiehallion couldn't find it!
I've amended it for clarity which should also make searching a whole lot easier.

*People take note* put some thought into your thread titles to avoid ambiguity.

NB: Although Admin does not necessarily practice what it preaches ::):
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:21 pm

I think searching before you post is punted too aggressively on this board. Yes it's nice to have everything all bundled together into one thread - it's definitely something to aim for. But we've all seen plenty of newbies who come here and start with a few wee enthusiastic posts, then start a thread that gets locked within 10 minutes by a mod saying something along the lines of "SEARCH" (example)

Not surprisingly the author of that particular thread hasn't been back since.

I think a bit of politeness is needed sometimes, particularly towards newcomers who haven't had the time to get to grips with the way we like to run this board.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:27 pm

thats a particularly bad example to cite as that particular user seemed to be trolling (see his other three posts), however, I do agree that sometimes mods can be a little curt when asking people to search.

but how big and numerous do we have to make these requests before it sinks in? We really don't ask much of you (collectively) and so its understandable that mods might get a little aggrivated at having to state the obvious every day.

we're only human, with lives and jobs and frailties and emotions and good days and bad.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Schiehallion » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:22 pm

Ally's right about the newbies. Maybe a nice wee pointer. Don't get me wrong, if they still do it then I say we hunt them down with dogs.

Obviously how specific a subject is, matters too. A subject like Central Station returns many threads.

Anyway, I only posted that at the top because I was a bit crabbit then because the football was called off and someone thought I hadn't searched and I couldn't reply that I had.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:26 pm

::): :D
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Minted Stereo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:03 pm

allyharp wrote:But we've all seen plenty of newbies who come here and start with a few wee enthusiastic posts, then start a thread that gets locked within 10 minutes by a mod

yeah, a gentle hint would suffice me thinks. locking a thread so quickly is a tad rude, especially to somebody who has just registered.

I asked a question as part of my first thread, and now i shall never know the answer. :(
Minted Stereo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:19 pm

Minted Stereo wrote:yeah, a gentle hint would suffice me thinks. locking a thread so quickly is a tad rude, especially to somebody who has just registered.

I asked a question as part of my first thread, and now i shall never know the answer. :(

handbag down!

The thread wasnt locked right away, I did give a hint with the existing thread about glasgow books but since nothing was posted in there, a heafty hand was needed to push you to that direction.

If you would like your question answered post it in there with a note of what you are talking about.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Minted Stereo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:04 pm

My Kitten wrote: a heafty hand

thats kinda what i mean. a tad heavyhanded towards someone just registered.

the post i made could have applied to a number of threads i found after i searched. what do i do in those circumstances? post in each thread? pick one and hope for the best? I wanted to chat about the book in a section that's called chat.

no handbags here.
Minted Stereo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:11 pm

Minted Stereo wrote:
My Kitten wrote: a heafty hand

thats kinda what i mean. a tad heavyhanded towards someone just registered.

the post i made could have applied to a number of threads i found after i searched. what do i do in those circumstances? post in each thread? pick one and hope for the best? I wanted to chat about the book in a section that's called chat.

no handbags here.

theres no wining here :roll:

You pick a thread that fits what you are talking about, hence why I highlighted the Glasgow Books thread. As the book is indeed about Glasgow and your discussion could have progressed there.

I wasnt being heavy handed I merely pointed you in the direction of where the discussion should take place, the discussion continued on the thread and I locked it, therefore hopefully pushing you into the right direction after being shown the way. Heavy handed no, guidance yes!

Now, put the handbag down :wink: and post summat good about frank, as it is indeed a wonderful book!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Minted Stereo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:20 pm

My Kitten wrote:Heavy handed no, guidance yes!

like rubbing a puppies nose in it's own poo after it has crapped on the new carpet? ::):

its just sometimes 'guidance' and rules can maybe put lurkers off posting.

know what i mean? :wink: :wink:
Minted Stereo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:11 pm

Minted Stereo wrote:
My Kitten wrote:Heavy handed no, guidance yes!

like rubbing a puppies nose in it's own poo after it has crapped on the new carpet? ::):

its just sometimes 'guidance' and rules can maybe put lurkers off posting.

know what i mean? :wink: :wink:

Lurkers are people who read and don't contribute so you're no lurker.

Why don't you just eff off to Glagow Guide. You'll love it there.
You're joining a club with rules and the most important rule is Search.

It's in BOLD CAPS and with SEARCH in RED and UNDERLINED

KEEP THE FORUMS TIDY; please SEARCH before you post. It might surprise you to discover what's gone before you!

Here's what happened to the last offender.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:03 pm

classic post Dex- ::): ::):

you should work for the UN

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Next