Glasgow by Dusk and Dawn...

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow by Dusk and Dawn...

Postby gap74 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:51 am

I'm sure I'm probably not alone in thinking that the best times of day are dusk and dawn, during which times the city can be aesthetically pleasing whether it's a glorious red sunrise/set or gloomy storm clouds, pishing rain or snow and frost...

Anyways, I plan on adding to this collection of pics when opportunities arise, these are mostly from a few nights ago when we got a hint of a sunset with some looming clouds too. Although they're all mostly from the roof of the Odeon, like my daytime shots over in the Glasgow Skyline thread, I felt they deserved a thread of their own, since I think street level shots will be interesting at dawn - there's just something eerie about major city centre streets being deserted!

So here's my start at this, a few shots from dusk.... Please be gentle, I got shat on by an angry gull taking these, and it kept swooping and squawking on me even after my divebombing!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:19 am

Nice pictures. Really like that first one and those ones with the red in the sky. Lovely.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:47 am

I love the first picture, it's really excellent!
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby john-g » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:55 pm

The third pic down, the tron church, is stunning!

It would have been perfect if you could have got down on your belly thus eliminating the ugly airvents and stuff.

There must be a way too of exposing the darker streetscape in your other photos. As it is they're rather overwhelmed by the dazzle of the sky.

PS whats happening with the Odeon? I heard it was being closed and converted into a shopping arcade?
john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Skyline

Postby gap74 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:58 pm

Unfortunately, my camera only allows for a max exposure of 3 seconds, but with things like clouds at dusk, allowing a longer exposure to expose the streets seems to result in the brighter things, like the sky, getting washed out!

Am open to tips though!

As for the Odeon - the building was sold last year, but the lease keeps being renewed to allow Odeon to continue operating it as a cinema whilst the developers get planning permission, which probably won't be granted till around New Year. The current lease, renewed only a month or two ago, runs till Feb 05, with the possibility of an extension beyond then.

The plans themselves involve gutting the interior and roof to leave only the four walls, and creating 6 blank floors, one of which, at current roof level, will have new glass walls and a corner turret feature above the current roof-head height. I'll post the artists impressions tomorrow when I'm back at my own computer.

The bottom two floors will be for retail, with new windows all along the side and back of the building, and the top 4 floors will be for leisure.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:55 pm

From Castlemilk

here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:16 am

My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow by Dusk and Dawn...

Postby The Voyageur » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:25 pm

gap74 wrote:I'm sure I'm probably not alone in thinking that the best times of day are dusk and dawn, during which times the city can be aesthetically pleasing whether it's a glorious red sunrise/set or gloomy storm clouds, pishing rain or snow and frost...

Known as 'The Golden Hour' in photography.
The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Luco » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Dazza, was browsing through Flickr when I came across this set of photos...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flickrphotos/148487887/

amazing!
Luco
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lexi » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:38 am

5am on 1 June 2006, Loch Lochy.

Just what time is sunrise in the Highlands, at this time of year?

Lexi
Lexi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:11 am

Lexi wrote:Just what time is sunrise in the Highlands, at this time of year?

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunrise.html

edit: okay, so the closest that gets you is Glasgow. Can't be that much of a difference, surely?
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lexi » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:19 am

Hi PJ

But I don't live in Glasgow, which is why I asked? I was totally fascinated with how the birds were out at 11 pm and only six hours later, I awoke to this pic.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6520 ... chykx2.jpg

Lexi
Lexi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:17 pm

Like I said, there's really not much of a difference. Bung sunrise + [nearest large town] into google and see what comes up.
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:59 am

DUSK AT QUEEN STREET STATION
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:07 am

Lexi wrote:Hi PJ

But I don't live in Glasgow, which is why I asked? I was totally fascinated with how the birds were out at 11 pm and only six hours later, I awoke to this pic.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6520 ... chykx2.jpg

Lexi

In the north it can quite easily still be daylight up 11.30pm, and light around 4am, sometimes earlier too I guess, but I usually sleep through it! Having said that, I remember walking up Buchanan Street in June after a night out at Fury's, approx 3.30am, and it was beginning to get light and the birds were tweeting then.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Photo Sharing