Oddities

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Oddities

Postby Volunteer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:59 pm

Volunteer here, Well spotted BT Justice. Looks like the Kelvingrove Art Gallery in the poster if I am not wrong. In this country we have posters of foreign parts so why not Scottish Posters in the United States of America.
Spotted in Coatbridge, Captain Dugwash's in Main Street. Do not descend to low grade comments regarding Captain Pugwash.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Volunteer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Volunteer » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:42 am

Volunteer here, You couldn't make it up.

A Direction Sign on the B8025 North of Cairnbaan in Argyll. Not sure if that is a long walk to some people? I could probably manage the distance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Volunteer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:14 am

found this in a junk shop in Glasgow the other day. Not worth much but a nice wee coin bank all the same.

Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Volunteer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:08 am

Volunteer here, Nice to see your post DickyHart. Takes me back to my childhood. The Savings Bank of Glasgow issued a metal savings bank with dedicated slots for coins of the realm. Needed a key to open it, no jammy knife would work.

A very good friend of mine educated me on some history of the Savings Bank of Glasgow. When the peripheral housing schemes Arden, Castlemilk, Easterhouse and Drumchapel were built around Glasgow the major banks declined to place a branch in or near these huge estates with thousands of people. The Trustees of the Savings Bank of Glasgow, some of which were Glasgow City Councillors committed the Savings Bank to installing branches. Hence there is a Savings Bank Branches now TSB Branches at Thornliebank, Croftfoot Roundabout, Easterhouse Township Centre and Drumchapel Shopping Centre.

The history of the Savings Bank is worth a look. Google the Rev Henry Duncan DD for details.

Today’s post is of the stage at the Grand Ole Opry in Glasgow. I follow live music but was disappointed one evening when the artistes on stage were two speakers wearing Stetsons. Ce la Ger.
Volunteer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:38 am

ah,the famous stereo twins.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:41 pm

Y'Know. With a bit of suitable sartorial imagination I reckon those gran' ol' speakers could do a purdy good Dolly Parton. YeeeeHah!
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Volunteer » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:41 am

Volunteer here, Thanks banjo, I'd never heard of the Stereo Twins but I have now. Being Musically Challenged I have limited knowledge on matters music. I was thrown out of a choir once. The Choir Master said it was my attendance but he was just being kind.

MacotheIsles, I didn't see the Dolly Parton connection but now you mention it I do now. Spell checking my article MacotheIsles translated to clothesline. I have added MacotheIsles to the laptops dictionary for future use. On the Hidden Glasgow site it spell checks to Mesothelioma. Won't make that mistake again.

Latest pic is the car park of a restaurant. Eight aprons hung out to dry. One large and eight small ones. Snow White and the eight chefs maybe. The abandoned shopping trolley says it all.
Volunteer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:33 pm

Josef wrote:
Vinegar Tom wrote:Love the one with the pylon PJ.

2 cats that I found this afternoon:

Excellent! I want one (or two) of those.

The cats have sadly been mistreated lately. The perpetrators might have enjoyed a whiff of the crushed asbestos abounding at the site?

Hopefully not, but at least a fly-zip / foreskin incident would be justified.

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Volunteer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:52 pm

Volunteer here, Oddities right enough Vinegar Tom.

Today's post is from Dunoon on the ever developing Clyde Coast. I enjoy a trip Doon the Watter on the Paddle Steamer Waverley in the Summer time. The Friday Sailing allows you to disembark at Dunoon and spend a little time there before the boat returns to collect you then take you back to Glasgow. Time for a cool beer and a bite. The Swallow Safe is a favourite for a light bight.
Usual Italian town pictures on the walls and good food.

One sunny day there was a painter outside while the blinds were lowered. Made for some nice pics.
Volunteer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:33 pm

Vinegar Tom wrote:The cats have sadly been mistreated lately. The perpetrators might have enjoyed a whiff of the crushed asbestos abounding at the site?

Hopefully not, but at least a fly-zip / foreskin incident would be justified.

Did I ever show you the photo I found of the cats in situ?

They had lightbulbs around the edges and would be illuminated at night.
dazza
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:36 pm

I've checked back 10 pages and got fed up - please do tell, where were these?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby dazza » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:30 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:I've checked back 10 pages and got fed up - please do tell, where were these?

We never did actually give away the location.
dazza
-
-

Postby Guacho » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:24 am

Guacho here,

c'mon tell us :D
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mercury » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:10 pm

dazza wrote:
Lucky Poet wrote:I've checked back 10 pages and got fed up - please do tell, where were these?

Could you give the location where they were located before the location they are located now? :wink:
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:06 pm

mercury wrote:
dazza wrote:

Could you give the location where they were located before the location they are located now? :wink:

I thought it was the original location that people were wanting to locate, and not the location where they are located now. No?
dazza
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Sharing