Those Magnificent Men and their Flying Machines

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Those Magnificent Men and their Flying Machines

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:55 am

[code][/code]
Botanic Squirrel wrote: ..........

The Vulcan was and is a thing of beauty, especially in anti-flash white.

There's a Ch4 programme doing the rounds at the moment about the Vulcan which went to the Falklands.

A bit Boy's Own but entertaining none the less.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/falk ... sode-guide
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:59 am

Botanic Squirrel wrote:It was great stuff. Watching last night, I never thought I'd get nostalgic for the days of worrying about being atomically vapourised by the Russians...

The Vulcan was and is a thing of beauty, especially in anti-flash white.

I was puzzled that there was no mention of the Kestrel/Harrier though. I would have said that was the final flourish of all-British aviation, rather than the TSR-2.

The Kestrel/Harrier was a British innovation, though it was quickly taken up by the US Marine Corps with involvement from McDonnell Douglas. It would have warranted inclusion in the program for all of those RAF Harriers stationed in Germany, I think, but maybe the program makers thought it too much associated with the South Atlantic. Anyway, I was lost to the world for the hour that it was on, somewhere back in the seventies.

Santa, I'd like an F.6 for Crimble, please. Or a pair of blowtorches and a pair of roller-skates.
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Botanic Squirrel » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:12 am

I'd like Santa to bring me a mini-Vulcan, the Avro 707.

Up, up and awaaaaay! :)
Botanic Squirrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HelenD » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:56 pm

Sweet! :)

I looked it up and it turns out that Handley Page also built a "model" to test their Victor concept. Unfortunately it crashed but by then they had two prototypes nearing completion. They don't make these wee things any more, sadly, but there was plenty around back in the fifties and sixties. There was a Fairey Delta and an HP.115 test aircraft used to evaluate various ideas on the Concorde project. There are a few of them dotted around the various museums, so you know where to leave your note for Santa. Don't forget the mince pies :)
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:38 pm

This Spitfire is a replica but, according to the information board on the driveway hedge, it reproduces a specific plane at a specific point in its career.
Anyway, it is a fairly unusual garden ornament.

Garden ornament 2 by vinegartom40, on Flickr
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Botanic Squirrel » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:54 am

HelenD wrote:Sweet! :)

I looked it up and it turns out that Handley Page also built a "model" to test their Victor concept. Unfortunately it crashed but by then they had two prototypes nearing completion. They don't make these wee things any more, sadly, but there was plenty around back in the fifties and sixties. There was a Fairey Delta and an HP.115 test aircraft used to evaluate various ideas on the Concorde project. There are a few of them dotted around the various museums, so you know where to leave your note for Santa. Don't forget the mince pies :)

Will do!
Botanic Squirrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tomvox » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:36 pm

droschke7 wrote:If you go down to Bruntingthorpe (Close to Rockingham Castle Race track) They have an 11Squdn Mk 6 Lightning that has been restored far enough to be able to do reheat runs up and down the runway and they have(or had I think it may have been moved) a flying Vulcan.

I was at the first run of the Lightning they had after the restoration. The noise was incredible. I guess it would have been about 1999-2000 as I recall. I was with a mate of mine who is a Lightning connoisseur. This is a link to his Lightning collection.

http://www.aviation-picture-hangar.co.uk/Lightning_Gallery.html
tomvox
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby stevieboy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:03 am

Going to the other end of the scale from where the thread started I took these pictures of the Blackbird and the space shuttle Endeavor while at the science museum in L.A this year.
Stevie
In the name o the wee man
stevieboy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby HelenD » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:49 pm

Emirates Airbus A380 is in town for a short visit and takes off at 15:35hrs from Glasgow Airport. Just enough time for those of you with wheels and lenses to get over there.

I had a go from Queens Park as it was on finals but there's a considerable heat-haze today.
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:41 pm

HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Great Pics Helen

Seen it coming in to land around lunchtime, just as I was bringing the shopping in so no camera.

Tonight's news said the pilot had requested to take this flight and fly over his home town of Clydebank.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:25 pm

Thank you, Brian

I'd learned that it was due at 12:35 so at midday I looked at http://www.flightradar24.com to see if I could see it. Just over Hartlepool and a few minutes later over Newcastle, 30 miles away. I thought I'd better get to the park pronto. The website said ETA of 12:25 so 10 minutes ahead of schedule. I thought perhaps it would circle the Campsies so as to land on time. Then I saw it on finals and the clocktower said 12:25. Then it suddenly pulled up and I thought I might be in luck. Sure enough it came over the hill a few minutes later and I had those three shots as it went past. The other was the pick of the landing approach. The Campsies make for a great backdrop in changeable lighting and broken cloud as we had today.
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:59 pm

taken from my front door. (more here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpoo ... 746549695/ )

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:59 am

Blimey! Looks like it's jumped out of your bedroom window :)
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:55 am

they all look like that round our way.its the last houses they fly over before reaching the landing strip.you do get used to them.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Sharing