Moon, Jupiter and Venus

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Moon, Jupiter and Venus

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:08 pm

Thought this might be of interest to the more atronautically inclined lensmen here. The moon, Jupiter and Venus are currently about two or three inches from each other in the Celestial Western Heavens, and can currently be seen picking their way through the chimney pots of Partick and elsewhere. This alignment is relatively rare so it might make for a cheeky wee novel photo, juxtaposed with the Glasgow skyline. Soon as I get my hands on my camera I'll be out for a few attempts myself.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Moon, Jupiter and Venus

Postby Peetabix » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:46 pm

I was seriously just going to check that. I thought it was Venus but wasn't 100%. Looks good in the night sky although the moon is a little low for me to get a good shot.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:52 pm

Just bought a telescope today, where do i look.North,South, and what am I looking for.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Margaret » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:57 pm

Did anyone get a picture?

I stood watching the little sliver of a moon being chased over the Firth of Clyde by two little twinkling stars (ignorant of astrology) but by the time I managed to get my camera they had disappeared behind Arran.

But it was a beautiful sight.
Margaret
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:10 pm

scottland wrote:Just bought a telescope today, where do i look.North,South, and what am I looking for.

The moon. :roll:
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:37 pm

Yes I know, is it 2 lights beside the moon that is jupiter and venus
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:38 pm

Scottland...

Yes - that's Venus and Jupiter; I think the brighter one being Venus. Didn't get my pic though - no sooner had I posted this up on the forums than the whole shebang disappeared behind a bank of hazy cloud, low on the western horizon.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:57 am

Will they be back tomorrow. And any hints for a baby astronomer. I like your style,macotheisles.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottwramsay » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:32 am

MacotheIsles wrote:The moon, Jupiter and Venus are currently about two or three inches from each other

How far away from my eye should I hold the ruler?
http://www.flickr.com/scottwramsay/
scottwramsay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:24 pm

Will they be back tomorrow. And any hints for a baby astronomer. I like your style,macotheisles.

Scottland!

Well, thank you!

As you've probably seen, the celestial orbs are back up there in the Western sky strutting their cosmic stuff, but about a foot apart now; soon to bid each other farewell 'til the next time. Hopefully it's a good night for the telescope - nice and clear so far. Bought my son a big 10 inch Dobsian 'scope a couple of years back and it's great apart from the fact that it's so heavy and shin-crunchingly awkward to move that I seldom take it out. Maybe this'll be an exception though.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:33 pm

scottwramsay wrote:
MacotheIsles wrote:The moon, Jupiter and Venus are currently about two or three inches from each other

How far away from my eye should I hold the ruler?

Hah Earthling - put away your puny terrestial measuring instrument: the delineated perspex will not avail you! Actually the scientifically calculated 2 or 3 inches I mentioned are entirely relative and were based on an observer viewing the heavenly bodies from the street. Owing to the laws of perspective if you were to go upstairs and look out the window each planet would be as large as an orange and would appear to be 20 - 30 inches apart. If you were to go onto the roof they'd assume the proportions of watermelons whirling dangerously aboot one's lugs.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:05 pm

I did get a quick non telescope look at last evenings show. After buying a telescope and taking it home I found thatmy location is not very good for sky watching,I will have to move home. Do you know any other up and coming astronomical shows.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:32 pm

Thought I'd post my humbly insignificant attempt to capture this spectacle...

Scottland! Not sure when the next cosmic do is on, but there's bound to be one or two along soon. Remember the blood-red eclipse a couple of years back? Keep going with that telescope even if you've got to lug it to a location with less streetlight pollution.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:04 pm

Yes I remember the Red Moon I had daft wee binoculars at the time .You could see the moon was an orb rather than the usual flat disc.

Did you hear about the "toast comet" from 2003. We nearly copped it ,it was kept hush hush.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:35 pm

scottland wrote:Yes I remember the Red Moon I had daft wee binoculars at the time .You could see the moon was an orb rather than the usual flat disc.

4th March 2007 00:36 UTC

Taken south of Bristol away from urban street lighting.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Photo Sharing