Ships pics

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby radar » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:53 pm

Here is a photo taken from the shore at Cardross in the early 70s looking towards the hills in the north across the Tail o' the bank. Even in the 70s there were ships anchored on the Tail o' the Bank waiting to be taken up river or into Greenock.

The buildings in the middle distance are the Murray's Farm and behind it, Seabank Cottage. The area in-between was the location of the Air Defence Battery mentioned in the "Bombs over Glasgow" thread elsewher on the site.
radar
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Local Hero » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:12 pm

I found this photo while browsing the net of the Waverley and it's sister ship the Queen of Scots at Anderston Quay in the mid 70s. Talk about big changes on the riverfront! Appears to have been taken from the southside of the river just below the Kingston Bridge.

http://www.clydeshipping.co.uk/images/albums/15_12_2002/1145.jpg

You probably already know the site but I liked this image since I frequent Springfield Quay on the south side of the river a lot and it's familiar to me.
Local Hero
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby macca734 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:02 am

Does anyone have any pics of the boat thats currently half submerge and floating inverted in the Clyde, near Port Glasgow / Greenocky way. I used to see it every morning on the train going to James Watt College in Greenock. Someone at the time told me it was an old sugar boat.

I also remember the ballsed-up demolition of one of the last massive in the same area but the name of the yard escapes me. One day I was passing and this big crane was perfectly triangular, looking like a permanent fixture and the next it was snapped off with one end on the ground and the other still attached.
Sui Generis
macca734
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:17 am

macca734 wrote:I also remember the ballsed-up demolition of one of the last massive in the same area but the name of the yard escapes me. One day I was passing and this big crane was perfectly triangular, looking like a permanent fixture and the next it was snapped off with one end on the ground and the other still attached.

Scott Lithgow yard was the home to the Goliath crane, sadly
RIP 1997 :x

A few pics

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~hfcampbe/crane3.htm
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:51 pm

Coincidentally I was looking at sites of the very same crane just 2 days ago. Here's 2 other links: http://members.aol.com/greenock/gol/Goliath.html http://www.portglasgow4u.co.uk/oldphotos/goliath.html

And there's another thread somewhere here about the sugar boat, just started a couple of days ago. Might be in the photography section?
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macca734 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:06 pm

Pripyat and Allyharp;

Aye, thats the monster. Used to look forward to seeing it every morning, like something hewn from the landscape itself. I liked the poem on one of the photo pages;

"....if they had treated this river better..........."

Somehow when I look at the photos in Times Past at the streets black with men and the yards churning out ship after ship, the idea of yet another shopping district with houses accessible to very few suddenly doesnt seem like the fitting tribute they herald it as.

Anyway, rant over, thanks for the linkies.

Wullie.
Sui Generis
macca734
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:31 am

Oh Sh*t !!!!!! 8O Get out my way ya wee tug. I'm coming through.... Perpare to die :twisted:
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:36 am

What was that full of?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:40 am

Vladimir wrote:What was that full of?

Liquid Gas, Vladimir. Lovely stuff :twisted:
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:14 am

Pripyat wrote:Liquid Gas

How the feck does that work? 8O
Come to think of it, i think do have a (very) vague recollection of dual state materials from physics last year...
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macca734 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:25 am

allyharp wrote:

Come to think of it, i think do have a (very) vague recollection of dual state materials from physics last year...

Yep, you cool a gas enough, it becomes a liquid.
Sui Generis
macca734
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby allyharp » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:37 pm

macca734 wrote:
allyharp wrote:

Yep, you cool a gas enough, it becomes a liquid.

But if it becomes a liquid it's no longer a gas any more, right?
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:48 pm

And now for the science bit ;)

http://www.ch-iv.com/lng/lngfact.htm
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:12 pm

allyharp wrote:But if it becomes a liquid it's no longer a gas any more, right?

Well... yes and no :?

Unfortunately, there's a cheeky little thing called the triple point, neatly defined as:

A term in physics, the triple point of a substance is the temperature and pressure at which three phases (gas, liquid, and solid) of that substance may coexist in thermodynamic equilibrium.

In other word, you can have a pot (albeit a rather sophisticated pot) in whch you can have an amount of a substance, and within it, the substance exists simultaneously as a solid, a liquid and a gas.

The most common one is the water triple point cell, which can be made and maintained fairly easily in any decent lab, as it works at 0.01 C, where its assigned value on is 273.16 K (0.01 C), and is used to establish a temperature standard.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macca734 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:39 pm

Apollo wrote:
allyharp wrote:But if it becomes a liquid it's no longer a gas any more, right?

Well... yes and no :?

Unfortunately, there's a cheeky little thing called the triple point, neatly defined as:

A term in physics, the triple point of a substance is the temperature and pressure at which three phases (gas, liquid, and solid) of that substance may coexist in thermodynamic equilibrium.

In other word, you can have a pot (albeit a rather sophisticated pot) in whch you can have an amount of a substance, and within it, the substance exists simultaneously as a solid, a liquid and a gas.

The most common one is the water triple point cell, which can be made and maintained fairly easily in any decent lab, as it works at 0.01 C, where its assigned value on is 273.16 K (0.01 C), and is used to establish a temperature standard.

And dont even get started on supercooling.

Triple point; havent heard that since my academic days.

But the best one by far was thermodynamic equilibrium. Glad to see other geeks, sorry engineers, here too.

:P
Sui Generis
macca734
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Sharing