Is it all about the megapixels ?

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Is it all about the megapixels ?

Postby glasgowken » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:56 pm

Apologies if this should be in the help thread, but it's not really asking for assistance, more about opinions.
Just wondering if it's all about megapixels these days. There are loads of really cheap, no name brand, cameras around with 6 and 7 MP. But it it can't be that simple otherwise everyone would be buying them above the big name stuff.
So why did you buy your camera ? Was it price, spec, brand loyality ?
And given a choice, do you feel that a big name camera with lower MP is better than one of the no name jobs with higher MPs.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:11 pm

pixel rating doesnt mean anything in my view.... my SLR camera with 6.3Mp rips the arse out of a compact camera with 10+

Anything above 4 megapixels is a waste unless you are printing to poster size. My 2 megapixel printed nicely to A4
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Is it all about the megapixels ?

Postby Schiehallion » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:04 am

glasgowken wrote:Apologies if this should be in the help thread, but it's not really asking for assistance, more about opinions.
Just wondering if it's all about megapixels these days. There are loads of really cheap, no name brand, cameras around with 6 and 7 MP. But it it can't be that simple otherwise everyone would be buying them above the big name stuff.
So why did you buy your camera ? Was it price, spec, brand loyality ?
And given a choice, do you feel that a big name camera with lower MP is better than one of the no name jobs with higher MPs.

It's about a whole load of other things. It's the speed and quality of the lens. It's the sensor. It's optical zoom over digital zoom.

I think they use megapixels in marketing the way they used GHz in PC processors a few years ago, creating this demand to have the fastest, biggest etc. Just as there's no point having a 3GHz processor with a crap amount of RAM which can't capitalise on it, there's no point having the megapixels if other parts of the camera lets it down.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:03 am

In short - no. A 10 mp cheapo with a crap lens will still give crap pics.

Better to go for a quality lower mp camera - take a look at something like the cheaper Panasonic Lumix, Nikon or Canon models. You'll be surprised how near in price they are to the no-brand stuff that Lidl and shops like that flog.

For example

Clicky
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:18 am

Good price that.
I bought a couple of second hand cameras, a Nikon, and a Prackica, so i'm ok for a wee while, but I was just curious.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:21 am

glasgowken wrote:Good price that.
I bought a couple of second hand cameras, a Nikon, and a Prackica, so i'm ok for a wee while, but I was just curious.

Yeah,very good - it may just be joining the stable as a backup to the backup camera :roll:

what Nikon did you buy?
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:07 am

Coolpix 3200. Oldie, but good reviews and it was dirt cheap. I've develped a real adversion to buying anything I care about dropping, losing, or getting stolen. The Prackica was even cheaper, so I'm keeping that on me whenever i'm oot.

I'd still be interested to hear if anyone has bought one of the really cheap cameras. How did it turn out ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:45 am

glasgowken wrote:Coolpix 3200. Oldie, but good reviews and it was dirt cheap. I've develped a real adversion to buying anything I care about dropping, losing, or getting stolen. The Prackica was even cheaper, so I'm keeping that on me whenever i'm oot.

I'd still be interested to hear if anyone has bought one of the really cheap cameras. How did it turn out ?

Good wee camera :) but be very careful when changing the batteries as it is all too easy to break the door catch off the body, which is why you see so many of them for "spares or repairs" on ebay
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:58 am

Same thing happed to my Fuji, had to use a rubber band :)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:04 am

i use a kodak z700, i like it as its simple and no fiddling about, although, i do get use of a nikon d40 on loan sometimes and its great.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flash_Andy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:16 pm

I was thinking about upgrading my Canon Powershot A70 (3.2mp)t

To this model

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerShot ... 979C8I3JNL

Canon PowerShot A640 Digital Camera (10.0MP, 4x optical zoom) I think it's still a bit expensive, I'm hoping it might drop under £170. The only reason I want to upgrade, is that I had some of my photographs published in Bus & Coach preservation magazine, but they said 6million megapixels is ideal for publication?
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:26 pm

A very worthy cause, good luck with the choice :)

I've just bought another second hand camera, got three now. Don't really know why I need three, but it looked good :?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:58 pm

glasgowken wrote:A very worthy cause, good luck with the choice :)

I've just bought another second hand camera, got three now. Don't really know why I need three, but it looked good :?

At least I know who I can sell all my old cameras to :)
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:05 pm

I'll open a stall at the Barras :)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:43 pm

Flash_Andy wrote:… Bus & Coach preservation magazine, but they said 6million megapixels is ideal for publication?

That must be some size of magazine. Maybe they're going to preserve the buses and coaches by sheltering them under it. ;)
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Photo Sharing