Fire..Burn baby

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Fire..Burn baby

Postby dazza » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:04 pm

Oh, is that where the infamous Sapphire club was?!
dazza
-
-

Postby Sunflower » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:30 pm

And there it is gone....
(Taken from just behind the police blue and white tape, guarded by a solitary police woman.)
Second one taken from the police tape (and another police woman) by the slip road at the side of Harry Ramsden's.
and from the back...
They had Paisley Road completely closed to traffic even at 6.30 pm when these were taken and there really wasn't anything left to fall into the road (there was still a fire engine there, so perhaps they expecting something to explode), must have been causing chaos all day.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:03 am

I was wondering where the smoke clouds were comming from on fri night whilst out for a drive and comming over the squinty bridge.

STV

Roads surrounding a tenement building ripped apart by a massive fire in Glasgow on Friday have been opened again.

Fire investigators are still on the scene and part of the building has had to be demolished for public safety causing the road closures.

Paisley Road, Seaward Street, Weir Street, part of Springfield Quay and the eastbound ramps at J21 of the M8 were all closed following the fire but opened back up early Sunday evening.

The fire service confirmed that the derelict tenement building will be pulled down in an operation led by Glasgow City Council's building control department.

The blaze broke out at around 10:45pm on Friday at disused pub the Sapphire club in Paisley Road and the flames quickly spread to engulf the whole building, which is just a short distance from Springfield Quay and its cinema complex.

People from a homeless hostel next door, the Talbot Association, had to be evacuated for safety, and crews from Strathclyde Fire and Rescue Service are still at the scene.

'Spread really quickly'

Eyewitnesses reported flames coming from the second floor of the building.

Comedian and author Janey Godley, who was passing the building at the time, told STV News the fire took hold within quarter of an hour. She shot footage of the fire as it took hold, consuming all four floors of the building.

She said: "When I first saw it there was just one flame from the middle floor. But it all spread through really quickly."

Fire service officials say they do not believe anyone was inside the building at the time and an investigation into the cause of the fire is ongoing.

Evacuation

A spokeswoman for Strathclyde Fire and Rescue Service said on Saturday: "At 22:52 the fire service were called to a building on fire on Paisley Road in Glasgow at Springfield Quay.

"Upon arrival firefighters met a well developed fire within a four-storey tenement building.

"Firefighters successfully assisted in the complete evacuation of a men's hostel as well as undertaking firefighting operations within the derelict section of the building affected.

"At present 40 firefighters remain in attendance, but the building is to be demolished. The stop time came through at 9:41am this morning."

Last updated: 11 April 2010, 17:56 GMT
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:41 am

Speaking of fires, I heard recently that Strathclyde Fire and Rescue are to remove one of the two fire engines based at Yorkhill Fire Station - up until recently there were three fire engines based there.

The solitary remaining engine will be expected to protect Kelvingrove Art Gallery, the Transport Museum(s), Yorkhill Hospital and the Western Infirmary, the Mitchell Library, a large number of schools, Glasgow University not to mention lots of residential and commercial properties as well as providing back up cover in the event of a major incident at the Southern General.

Lets hope there's never a fire at two of the above locations at the same time, or even a fire at one just after a false alarm at another.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:38 am

Back to the Paisley Road tenement - I specially like this from the Herald website:

"Strathclyde Police said they were not treating the fire as suspicious."

Obviously spontaneous combustion then.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby daveyboy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Theres a massive forest fire burning outside Denny just now. I could see the smoke on the way home. First spotted outside BEARSDEN! A good 40 minutes from Denny. I'll try and get photos.
daveyboy
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 pm

daveyboy wrote:Theres a massive forest fire burning outside Denny just now. I could see the smoke on the way home. First spotted outside BEARSDEN! A good 40 minutes from Denny. I'll try and get photos.

Run Forrest Run.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:31 pm

Was that scrapyard in Renfrew on fire again today? There was a large plume of black smoke from roughly that area this afternoon.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:09 pm

I can't say I noticed anything Josef. I was outdoors all afternoon.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:07 am

UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:09 pm

[quote="BrigitDoon"]Image

The Kingston Halls have never looked better, it`s been a blessing that the monstrosity beside it went on fire, great pic Bigit.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big jim » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:24 pm

i worked for the owners of the door shop that used to be in the sapphire,
big shite hole of a building :roll: death trap even back then, the ball room wooden floor was buckled tae hell and most of the ceilings were heading south suprised it never fell down :?
big jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:14 pm

A fire engine is being moved from Yorkhill to Knightswood. Knightswood covers the Drumchapel and west area which statistically have more fires than the area covered by Yorkhill.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby droschke7 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:53 am

I took these photo's a couple of weeks ago on Great Western Road about half way between the new Aldi and the Drumchapel Retail ParkImageImage
droschke7
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:20 am

Rudesheim hot spot 2 by Dave Trott, on Flickr

An outdoor fire while I had a beer or two !
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Photo Sharing