Under Construction

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Under Construction

Postby Molendinar » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm

This isn't even photos of Glasgow, but as opposed to all these unusual (and fantastic! ) shots of decaying buildings, I thought that some of you might be interested in a couple of unusual and temporary views of new buildings

Swiss Re: Erotic Gherkin

During its construction in 2003

there was something great about seeing the raw structure of this copmlex building befor eall teh glazing went on. I like the unitised glazing too, but there was secondary glazing inside set back over a metre and the columns were given huge big sheet metal coverings, so it all gets lost... So I was very glad to have seen it like this.

BT Tower

During its refurbishment in 2001. These were taken from the scaffolding which was suspended OUTSIDE the top two floors of the tower...

Last edited by Molendinar on Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What is the good of being a genius if you cannot use it as an excuse for being unemployed?"
Molendinar
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:09 pm

Love the views, just a wee bit better than the ones from the london eye, and a wee bit cheaper too I bet
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:09 pm

Fab pics mate, but you might have to re-size them to give our small monitor/dial up friends a chance! Normally about 500px across is a good bet.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby john-g » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:11 pm

How'd you get up there?

You should post these on http://www.skyscrapercity.com, they'll go nuts.

Interesting view of the British museum!
john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Molendinar » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:04 pm

At the time I was working in the facade engineering group in Buro Happold in London. They deal with the "building envelope". We were consultants on the BT tower refurbishment, which involved redoing the glazing. I was just on a site visit that day, inspecting the workmanship.. which can be pretty dodgy. For Swiss re we were just on a guided tour of the site.

I'm still involved with a german sub contracting firm and I'm kinda hoping they get to work on some of these new jobs in Glasgow like Elphinstone tower.. that'd be very cool.

I'll resize those pics down in a tic. Sorry, didn't think, it's amazing how quickly you take broadband for granted
"What is the good of being a genius if you cannot use it as an excuse for being unemployed?"
Molendinar
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Photo Sharing