Macro photography.

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby PlasticDel » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:28 pm

It's a tiny wee Darth Vader ya maniacs.

::):
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:29 pm

Does seem too nice to be a moth, doesn't look like a butterfly tho. Maybe you've discovered a new species.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:30 pm

PlasticDel wrote:It's a tiny wee Darth Vader ya maniacs.

::):

Wearing a Darth Maul costume!
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:13 pm

Sharon wrote:Is it not too pretty to be a moth?

I don't like bugs so try not to get close enough to have knowledge!

Nah, it's a moth. Butterflies fold their wings together while moths fold 'em against their backs like that litte blighter is doing.

this is probably more than you will ever want to know about moths and butterflies http://www.campusprogram.com/reference/en/wikipedia/d/di/difference_between_a_butterfly_and_a_moth.html

Stinkpad.
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:46 am

Great stuff.

"However day-flying moths are often brightly-colored, particularly if they are toxic."

Just as well I didnt eat it then!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby duncan » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:27 pm

duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:56 pm

[quote="purplegrum"]Image

That is a Green veined white butterfly.

Very common I am afraid.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:17 pm

Sharon wrote:A wee butterfly.

that is no Butterfly (well, ok, it is, but i will not go into that in detail right now) but is in fact a moth.

It is a 6 spot Burnett moth.
Day flying.

A general rule is to look at the antenie - they are screamingly moth!! ;-)
They are huge things.

On most butterflies (most because there is always some exception the rule) the top has a blod or club on it.
A moth, however, has a whole variety of forms.
These can go from what you see on your burnett moth, to a feathered structure, to simply nothing but a plain line.
Again, there are one or two exceptions with moths regarding the butterfly rule.

Moths are WAY more interesting, because they have so many different body forms and life cycles than butterflies.
In the UK, there are about 58 resident butterfly species, and something like 2600 speicies of moths.

I see there is some reference to moths below here, but I have not got that far in reading through, so if I repeat someone else, will soon know
Last edited by Speedbird on Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:21 pm

Speedbird wrote:Fuji Finepix S5000. Took these with my tripod that I bought off eBay - could never have taken shots like this before 'coz my hand isn't steady enough!

What kind of tri - pod is it if you do not mind me asking??[/quote]

Argos £14.99 speedbird.. good value with a fluid head as well.

Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Sharon » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:23 pm

Right, well, we had gone and established it was a moth...and now yyou are confusing us by saying its a butterfly...and a moth??

Well, I think you should explain further. ALthough i would separate the 2 by intelligence tests. moths fly straight into you thinking you are the moon or something, butterflys are a little more considered about where they land!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speedbird » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:39 pm

[quote="stinkpad"][quote="Sharon"]Is it not too pretty to be a moth?

*Oh Sharon, you have so much to learn!!

Many moths' have patterns that are beautiful in thier own right.
Many more that are surprisingly colourful.
Try and see a Small elephant hawkmoth and you will glimpse but a small part of this world (it is pink and green by the way).
You have seen that with the Burnet moth, there is red in it.
Too pretty to be a moth?
Moths supposed to be brown and boring aren't they??

That is a myth I am afraid.
Most, admittedly are, but there are still large numbers of them that are most certainly not, and you have just seen one.*

Nah, it's a moth. Butterflies fold their wings together while moths fold 'em against their backs like that litte blighter is doing.

*Only some of them, others look like butterflies too.
Europes largest species of moth for example, could be mistakes for a butterfly under your description.
There are even the likes of the Clearwings, which look like strange flies, and nothing at all like the stereotypical image of a moth.
Also, look at a hornet moth (if you don't mistake it for a wasp that is).
Watch a Hummingbird hawkmoth feeding at flowers as it hovers a few inches away, its proboscis extending into the flower.
It is interesting, and reminds me strangely of planes being refueled midflight with the big pipes.
They look kind of like Bees' as do a few other species.

The fascinating this is that there are just SO many different types and body forms.
As I have said already, there are 2600 species in this country, and 40,000 world wide.

The larger types of moth are known as 'Macro moths', but the more numerous (1600 species in this country alone), are what are known as 'Micro moths'.
These are the tiny tiny moths that you see but are so small that people generally do ont know what they are.

Q. What is the difference between a Butterfly and a moth??

A. Nothing.

They are all of the same family, Lepedoptera, and it is only through scientific classification in this country that they are regarded as being different.
In fact, in the likes of Italy and most other countries, they have no name to separate them, they are simply all known as the butterfly or Lepedoptera.
A few Moths fly during the day, and a few species of butterfly fly at night (although not in this country).
some fly in sunlight, and others don't, but they are all in essence, the same thing.
Bet you didn't know that one.

Is that enough for you??
I can always go into using pictures and diagrams........*

this is probably more than you will ever want to know about moths and butterflies

*I know, awful things, aren't they?? ;-) *
Last edited by Speedbird on Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:46 pm

The Modern Fossil wrote:
Speedbird wrote:Fuji Finepix S5000. Took these with my tripod that I bought off eBay - could never have taken shots like this before 'coz my hand isn't steady enough!

What kind of tri - pod is it if you do not mind me asking??

Argos £14.99 speedbird.. good value with a fluid head as well.

Sounds good.
I bet that is nice, light, and easy to carry around to carry around with you.
The best way.

Fossil-[/quote]

I am here with my trusty and slightly worse for wear Manfrotto.

Big, sturdy, and the legs go flat out to the sides (100 degrees), so you can prop it against a wall or rocks - it is so fcuking versatile and sturdy. Also, if you want a ground level shot, you detatch the central column and place it down like a huge 3 legged spider, the replacement plate, originally at the bottom of the central coloumn fits the camera onto the body of the tri - pod.
You can hang the camera upside down, use the column as a mini monopod or a pole for getting more height in the photo.

Also fantastic for clouting people with because it is metal (I never have - yet).

Cost £105, which some might call too expensive, but it has proved its worth many many times over, particularly the legs when getting into awkward possitions.
I am able to get pictures that I otherwise couldn't have got without it, you can hang it upside down and everything.
It will also last quite a few years, even if the paint does chip off it as it gets battered around (I have heard people saying that I will probably still have it in about 20 years time).

Everyone to thier own I suppose, because most people would bauk at that price, but to me, it is worth it because of the type of work I do.
You're tri - pod is ideal for you, and mine is for me.
Last edited by Speedbird on Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:55 pm

Sorry, Sharon, I hope that is enough moths for you.
Intelligence test I would agree with in most cases.

There are also many other ways of telling what is what visually from experience.

Stop me if I start sounding pretentious and patronising or just down right sarky at times, but I never mean to be, It is just the way I say things.
I don't realise what I am doing and also, I just like to describe things.

I mean in general.
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:56 pm

Sorry, just one more thing.

When I was talking about the antenae, I mentioned that there are various different kinds, including the feathery kind.

Well, if you watch the scene in the first Lord of the Rings film, when Gandalf is lying on top of Saruman's tower after their fight, you will see a moth, quite clearly with feathered antenae flutter down and land in his hand.

Next time you see that, remember tae look!

How films and beasties can come together.
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:59 pm

Speedbird wrote:Next time you see that, remember tae look!

How films and beasties can come together.

kinda like that fanny plug advert asweel ::):
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Sharing