Taking Photographs - The Legal Perspective

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Taking Photographs - The Legal Perspective

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:55 am

Seriously what was your point?

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:22 am

::):

I hope you don't mind Dex, but I'm stealing that.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:50 am

All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby rabmania » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:48 pm

Or maybe we should...

This coming SUNDAY, 22nd APRIL, at mid-day, directly outside the entrance to the O2, in Greenwich.

MASS FILMING of the O2, as a 'counter measure' against the ridiculous security measures being taken against the British people leading up to the 2012 Olympics.

Please try to attend... AND BRING YOUR CAMERAS!

Remember, it's Marathon day, so make sure you avoid the traffic by getting there early.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Hehehe, good stuff. (If anybody is thinking of going, mind and not drink the tap water.)

As per usual for the Grauniad by the way, the comments below the article are worth a read, if anybody hasn't ventured that far down the page.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:34 pm

Taking photos in Parliament Square just earlier, got an attempted ticking off by some random guy (some guard going off duty?). "It's illegal to take photographs outside court buildings," apparently. Aye, right. Might head up again tomorrow evening, to see if he appears again.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby rabmania » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Taking photos in Parliament Square just earlier, got an attempted ticking off by some random guy (some guard going off duty?). "It's illegal to take photographs outside court buildings," apparently. Aye, right. Might head up again tomorrow evening, to see if he appears again.

All my pics are taken outside court buildings...shaking in my boots!
Seriously, many times I've taken pictures in London- outside Royal Courts of Justice, Parliament Square, all around the City, in stations...never any bother.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Seamey » Fri May 18, 2012 2:32 pm

New proposed SPT bye-laws for the Underground could mean a £1,000 fine for taking photos without SPT permission. It's still up for consultation so there's time to object if you think this is an outrage.

http://www.spt.co.uk/2012/05/proposed-new-glasgow-subway-byelaws/
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Fri May 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Seamey wrote:New proposed SPT bye-laws for the Underground could mean a £1,000 fine for taking photos without SPT permission. It's still up for consultation so there's time to object if you think this is an outrage.

http://www.spt.co.uk/2012/05/proposed-new-glasgow-subway-byelaws/

This isnt a new by-law, photography without permission is currently not permitted on SPT property.

There are also safety implications to consider - use of a tripod could impede access / egress to platforms, use of flash can dazzle or temporarily blind drivers of trains.

Some people get outraged for the sake of it
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Seamey » Fri May 18, 2012 3:13 pm

Well scotrail and networkrail allow it and they set out very clear safety information regarding flashes, tripods etc. http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/777.aspx - so I remain the right to be outraged and pissed off I never knew before.

The link from the current SPT is in regards to commercial filming and photography, these conditions are not uncommon. This new bye-law introduces a £1,000 fine for anyone taking photos even if it's just friends taking snaps or tourists.
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat May 19, 2012 9:45 am

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Subway photography ban proposal

Postby dbfriends » Sun May 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Long time no post … but thought this might be of interest to some folks around here.

SPT is planning to update its by-laws to ban photography on the Subway unless you seek special permission beforehand. There's no exception (like with music) to say that this is only the case if you're annoying people; there's nothing to say it would only be flash or professional photography - it would mean anyone taking a photo on the Subway could face a fine of up to £1000.

I set up a campaign site at http://www.pictureoursubway.co.uk to encourage people to take part in the consultation that's happening now over the planned changes and thought it might be of interest. (The site sucks through pics from Flickr that are tagged with the words glasgow and subway so if there's anything you'd like to feature on it then you can make it appear by doing that!)
dbfriends
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Mon May 21, 2012 3:47 pm

Cllr Aileen Colleran has just posted "Glad @GlasgowSubway confirms no change or relaxing rules an option re photies thanx @PictureSubway for alert re this"

No, I don't know what it means either.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Seamey » Tue May 22, 2012 7:49 pm

Twitter isn't v good at grammar. SPT website were trying to give impression that no change or indeed relaxing the rules was an option for the proposed new bye-laws - only it wasn't really set out fairly as an option in the way that paying for a ticket before travelling is aslso an option.

The original bye-laws are on the SPT website and there is no-mention of photography being banned.

http://www.spt.co.uk/cms/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/1980-Subway-byelaws.pdf

There are also some great anachronisms - does 17(1) really mean listening to music on your headphones is illegal?
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Photography