Digital Images & Post Processing Software

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Digital Images & Post Processing Software

Postby old jock » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:46 pm

So I'm thinking of purchasing some new software for post processing images

I'd love to know what the rest of you use, or have used in the past, and what you think about the packages. Ease of use effectiveness, strengths and weaknesses in particular areas etc:

I must admit although it seems to be de facto standard I'm not a huge lover of Adobe, but I'm willing to listen Photoshop and Lightbox seem to be the most common by a country mile.

Anything considered free or purchased.

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Digital Images & Post Processing Software

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:46 pm

I must admit Lightroom has been my everyday thing for a good few years now - I first heard of it on here, as a matter of fact. I might have to rethink if Adobe push the yearly license idea any further than they have already, but I've never felt limited by what it can do editing-wise. In terms of organising photos, well, it works fine. And it's beyond handy having one program do both. For good or bad, pretty much everything I've posted on here has been through LR. Apart from the Not Cathcart Road Pyramids.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby old jock » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:55 am

Cheers LP

Adobe just seem weird to me, the renting of the license, the on line help, the cloud service. They certainly plough their own furrow for sure.

Thinking about it some more, once I get some images, from both my old and new cameras I'll trial out a few of the packages I guess. A few (not adobe) wouldn't support the Fuji raw film format at first and one that I know of still doesn't, although its price was probably out of my budget anyway.

I was hoping for more than one reply, Oh well.........................appreciated thanks for taking the time
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:45 pm

old jock wrote:I was hoping for more than one reply, Oh well.........................appreciated thanks for taking the time

Oops, I was meaning to reply to this when I first saw it but obviously got side tracked!

I would back up what LP says above. I find that Lightroom does everything I want in that it is akin to a digital darkroom as opposed to Photoshop with its layers and jiggery-pokery which is the work of the devil.

Lightroom can be dipped into by the novice via various pre-sets , or you can find various “recipes” on the web to emulate classic darkroom techniques or just slightly tweak your RAW images.

I have so far stuck to buying the product outright rather than the subscription model that Adobe are pushing. Would I go down that route if it was the only option? Probably, yes.

There are other options though. “Gimp” is free and reportedly provides pretty much what Photoshop does (although I can’t confirm as I have not tried it).

Hope this helps.

Dave
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby old jock » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:15 pm

Thanks VT

Guess I'll be spending a bit of time trialing packages. I agree that Photoshop seems overly complex and there has been enough books written on how to use it to fill a library

But it appears that Lightroom ought to be given a crack of the whip based on the advice from both of you who are I know seasoned photographers

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Scotty100 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:36 pm

Hi All
Has anyone ever heard of or, used a program called Gimpshop? Allegedly it is a free version of Photoshop. Am I being pranked, or is it genuine and any good.
Thanks in advance.
Scotty100
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:39 pm

Not used it, but I have used GIMP. Not as intuitive as Photoshop (which itself isn't particularly intuitive either), but a nice program results wise, and has many, many free resources to draw from v.v. brushes, scripts and turorials etc from the various online communities.

Get GIMP from here - http://download.cnet.com/GIMP/3000-2192_4-10073935.html

Get Gimpshop from here - https://www.gimpshop.com/downloads

Gimpshop review

***IMPORTANT***

In the comments beneath the review, it says the following:

"Do NOT install this software. It's full of BLOATWARE. You go through four screens of what you think are "accept terms of service", when in actuality you are accepting to download the bloatware. The right button is clearly visible "ACCEPT" while the left button "do not accept" is hidden in shaded grey. Makes it appear as though you will be refused to download the software. It's all bloatware even if you deny everything and complete installation. I have Windows 7. I've had to buy a program to remove several of the bloatwares hidden but still activate. Also, Malwarebytes has quarantined numerous threats."

And, in the CNET reviews, it has a less than stellar reputation too:

CNET Reviews

A minefield.

Looks like jumping in at the deep end with the full GIMP program may be best, even with the steeper learning curve.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Scotty100 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:20 pm

Thank you sir. I think I will pass that one.
Scotty100
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Photography