Flickr

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Flickr

Postby The Egg Man » Tue May 15, 2012 10:42 pm

How Yahoo Killed Flickr and Lost the Internet.

Web startups are made out of two things: people and code. The people make the code, and the code makes the people rich. Code is like a poem; it has to follow certain structural requirements, and yet out of that structure can come art. But code is art that does something. It is the assembly of something brand new from nothing but an idea.

This is the story of a wonderful idea. Something that had never been done before, a moment of change that shaped the Internet we know today. This is the story of Flickr. And how Yahoo bought it and murdered it and screwed itself out of relevance along the way.

Do you remember Flickr's tag line? It reads "almost certainly the best online photo management and sharing application in the world." It was an epic humble brag, a momentously tongue in cheek understatement.

Because until three years ago, of course Flickr was the best photo sharing service in the world. Nothing else could touch it. If you cared about digital photography, or wanted to share photos with friends, you were on Flickr.

http://gizmodo.com/5910223/how-yahoo-ki ... socialflow
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Flickr

Postby Fossil » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:01 pm

wot are you on about? :roll:
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Sharon » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:43 am

What's better than Flickr? Personally I still think it's by far the best of this kind of service for people who want to look at a wide variety of photography from their friends that aren't just pictures of their lunch - which is what Facebook's for. Different audiences.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sat May 09, 2015 8:42 am

Oh dear, they have "improved" Flickr again!!!

Looks like yahoo are going further down the tablet / phone friendly creek.

There are now also automatic tags applied to your photos. From what I've seen so far they are not all accurate....
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Sat May 09, 2015 11:00 am

Vinegar Tom wrote:There are now also automatic tags applied to your photos. From what I've seen so far they are not all accurate....

How does that work, VT?

I just downloaded the latest Flickr update on my iPad, and so far there are no automatic tags applied to my photos.

Was looking forward to a good laugh too, with mad tags like "Fishcake Oxo Coach", or "Desperate Nairobi Vest".
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sat May 09, 2015 12:06 pm

Dunno Neil, my desktop pc version (firefox) was updated overnight. Lots of blank white either side of the screen like a mobile friendly site.
The recent group activity icons at the right hand side have gone, which is a pity. As for the tags, sadly nothing worth a titter yet; a photo of the Kylesku Bridge has been tagged "steel arch bridge" and one of the Glasgow Tollbooth Steeple as "skyscraper".

I have no doubt that yahoo will do what they want as always.

Cheers
Dave
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Sat May 09, 2015 1:28 pm

Thanks Dave.

I use Safari, so will check it out on my Macbook when I'm home.

Neil
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby neilmc » Sat May 09, 2015 5:57 pm

I can now see the automatic tags when I log in to Flickr via my browser, but not on my app., which is strange.

Like Dave's, most of my photos have been given pretty bland tags; however, the following photo has 'outdoor/water/forest/landscape/stream/creek/snow/plant/tree/serene'...!

ImageFallen Tree, Brock Burn by neilmc_photos, on Flickr
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Photography