What's the going rate for a photograph?

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

What's the going rate for a photograph?

Postby KonstantinL » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:08 am

Three or four people have now said to me that I should try and sell some of my better photographs and I am wondering what the going rate for photographs are?

If I approach, say, VisitScotland and they are interested, what would be a fair price?

Are photographs bought individually or in 'bulk'?

If you can answer any of these questions (or even if you can't!) feel free to get a © konstantinl desktop wallpaper from here...

http://www.caedes.net/Zephir.cgi?lib=Caedes::Infopage&image=konstantinl-1154856273.jpg

Thanks!
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:41 pm

I would expect the price to vary according to the proposed use of the photo. Use as a small image to illustrate an article in a magazine/brochure would recieve less than use on the cover of the same publication or as a full page shot for the article. The circulation of the publication would also have an impact.
Probably easiest to use an agency to sell your work if its something your planning on doing on a regular basis.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:23 pm

When the Evening Times stole a photo of the interior of the Old Athenaeum theatre from our website, and published it in the paper and online, they advised that I send an invoice to them and I would receive the standard rate.

I got all of 75 quid for it, which I supoose itsn't bad for the length of time it took me to take it!

Still, it would have been nice to have been asked first....

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:02 pm

Last edited by HollowHorn on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:25 pm

Hi KonstantinL, nice photo. Thought I would signup for that
site as well. Start my very own © pripyat desktop wallpapers 8)

http://www.caedes.net/Zephir.cgi?lib=Caedes::Infopage&image=pripyat-1155147765.jpg
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Photography