What does the people of Glasgow need?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

What does the people of Glasgow need?

Postby glasgowdan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi All

I would be interested in your views on what you think Glasgow is missing. What is Glasgow lacking in? i.e. Coffee shops, candle suppliers, bakeries, consultants or farmers markets. Is there something that doesnt exist in Glasgow or do you feel we need more of something? Is there a particular part of Glasgow that you would like to be able to access a certain service that exists in another area?

I am looking to set up my own business for the new year and while I have some ideas, I'd like to know what people actually want.

Be very grateful for your views and would offer you some freebies from my new business!

Many thanks
glasgowdan
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: What does the people of Glasgow need?

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:48 pm

Cookie monster sanctuary? :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:49 pm

Gooder grammer?

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BenCooper » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:56 pm

Buggy whip maker?

A better idea I think is to work out what you're good at and enjoy, and turn that into a business - Glasgow's a pretty big city, there's probably not much that's lacking.
www.transientplaces.co.uk
BenCooper
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:01 pm

dimairt wrote:Gooder grammer?

Le durachd,

Eddy

You'll be chasing people away next.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:16 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
dimairt wrote:Gooder grammer?

Le durachd,

Eddy

You'll be chasing people away next.

I just presumed that was Gaelic for Delicatessen.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:36 pm

Candle suppliers? have i overdosed on Sudafed and woke up in Victorian times? If i have can you open up a Syphilis shop one that takes away the dreaded pox after too many visits to dimly lit brothels? can't wait till that candle shop opens and i can see the scabby ones to stay away from.
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Josef wrote: I just presumed that was Gaelic for Delicatessen.

Keep up to date with issues in Gaeldom at http://gaelicguerilla.com
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:28 pm

some kind of medical cosmetic practice that removes the feckin chip off the average Glaswegians shooder 8O
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:18 pm

Although there was a healthy dose of self-interest in the OP's question, I think that it was a reasonable enquiry and we've not been very constructive so far.

Surely there must be some genuine suggestions?

Here's one from me with my best friend (my stomach) in mind...

I'd like to see more variation in your average thoroughfares type of takeaway outlet. There are far too many chinese/indian/chippys in my area (there are so many, in fact, I can't understand how they all manage to compete and make a reasonable profit). Dominos is the sole exception to this grouping but I'm no great fan of that establishment (not value for my money and my fave chippy does better pizzas anyway).

My personal desire (in this respect at least :wink:) would be to see less of the above (and pubs, which seems to be other big business in my area - not that I don't like a pint - but that's perhaps a subject for a different thread) and more of the less-seen (if ever seen) type of outlet. A Mexican outlet would be my preference in my area as I love that type of food.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:19 pm

glasgowdan wrote:What is Glasgow lacking in? i.e. Coffee shops, candle suppliers, bakeries, consultants or farmers markets.

flyman wrote:Candle suppliers? have i overdosed on Sudafed and woke up in Victorian times? If i have can you open up a Syphilis shop one that takes away the dreaded pox after too many visits to dimly lit brothels? can't wait till that candle shop opens and i can see the scabby ones to stay away from.

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on the subject of candles, however I don’t think a candle shop is as daft an idea as you might think Flyman. My guess is that the city centre probably has such a shop but, even so, I suspect that might be a venture that could prove to be a sustainable business.

To back up this view, I’d point out my wife has candles in many of the rooms in our house (living room; hallway; kitchen; master bedroom; family bathroom) – there’s dozens upon dozens of them in here! I’d bet most of the female HGers (fairly) regularly indulge in candle buying as well. Also, my wife has gone to ‘candle parties’ in the past (sounds like a fun night out- not!) and, from what I’ve heard, they sell for up to £50 a pop 8O Sounds like a potentially profitable business to me.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:44 am

A chain of temperance bars :wink:
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:49 am

My apologies indeed to GlagowDan the post i made has made me feel very contrite.I never realised the candle business was so lucrative Steve then again when i thought about it the wife has loads of them as well dotted about all over the house so maybe it's time for me to get out the roofing game and open a candle shop :P on a more serious note i'd like to see more retro clothes shops but ones that are not waaaaaay over the top when it comes to price range.Theres a lot online but some of the stuff even there comes with a hefty price tag.I'm a keen collector of Chelsea boots but nowadays the prices for them are verging on the ridiculous you would need to actually PLAY for Chelsea to buy a pair.So to that end Dan open a retro shop and i'll be a regular,although im not a regular im a short inside leg.........ok more shite jokes sorry :cry:
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:50 am

glasgowken wrote:A chain of temperance bars :wink:

Thats actually not a bad idea,it beats paying over the odds for a soft drink in a boozer.
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:53 am

flyman wrote:
glasgowken wrote:A chain of temperance bars :wink:

Thats actually not a bad idea,it beats paying over the odds for a soft drink in a boozer.

beanscene anyone?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)