Gilbertfield Castle

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Gilbertfield Castle

Postby Gary Brown » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:37 pm

Hey guys,

do any of you know if you can access the Gilbertfield Castle ruins or not? Are they on private ground or do they fall within the shooting range territory in Dechmont?

Thanks

Gary
Gary Brown
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Gilbertfield Castle

Postby Icecube » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:42 pm

If you want to avoid the farm route walk over to it through the golf course, the law provides open access remember. Just kid on your a golfer if you use their car park.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:45 am

Ive been there a few times.

The farmer up there actually doesnt mind if you go up to it, just knock his door and let him know and he will open the gate for you, He usually keeps sheep or cows in the field so expect loads of mud and cow pats and sheep crap. Go along the piggery brae road and go up the path directly into the farm.

The castle itself,you can only get into the barreled room area which i understand was the kitchen. The upper areas are innacessable unless your an amazing climber. Theres the remains of a lovely wee staircase in it.

There was a book translated from old scots into english by the owner Poet William Hamilton (1665-1751) Blind Harrys "Wallace" which inspired the book Braveheart, then turned into the movie. Rabbie Burns was also a big fan of the book. He stayed at the castle regulary.

Heres a shareware book that is avaialble.

http://www.sharewareebooks.com/eBooks/E ... /inbrowser

I hope you enjoy your visit.

Dicky.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:54 pm

You don't get many answers better than that. Cheers, Dicky. :D
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gary Brown » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:10 pm

You guys are legends - thanks
Gary Brown
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:24 am

Like Dicky says, access isn't really a problem, I've usually wandered across from the adjacent firing range no problems (as long as the flags aren't flying - might be worth giving them a buzz beforehand if you're coming from afar in case they're shooting that day).

And while you're there, I suggest you make the effort to climb Dechmont behind the castle if the weather permits, it would be rude not to - the views are, for my money, better than Cathkin Braes.

gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deakin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:38 pm

I've not been to Gilbertfield castle in years now, i used to love going there and climbing around the ruins. I can remember on the open face of the east wall you could get access to the remains of a stairwell and from there you could climb onto the first level with quite a well preserved room that i think might have been a bedroom. i think a fireplace was on the north wall with a window on the west. Looking up from this room with the upper floors having colapsed you could see the holes in the walls for the floor beams ect..

Down in what we thought was the dungeon(ok it was the kitchen but we were only 10 years old) i can still picture the large rusty metal hooks and chains on the walls. we at the time thought that this is where the bad guys were locked up.

If the weather's good this weekend i might take a walk over there as i only live about a mile away. If i can get my cheap ass fricking camera to work i'll take some pics and post them here.

Oh yeah, before i forget.. thier used to be an electric cattle fence on the east side be carefull as i said it's been years since i've been there but i never noticed it untill it was too late.
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
deakin
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gap74 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:53 pm

I'm probably only half a mile away myself, but again, not been up in years - a revisit is long overdue. Got a fair few pics of the place, but can only find a couple that are scanned, and I appear to have done them at a ludicrously low resolution so not worth sticking up!

Glad you reminded me of the electric fence, there's one to the west that I got over OK but I forgot about the poor dog, who let out a yelp as she received an unexpected zap whilst clambering through it!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deakin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:04 pm

Sorry got my east / west mixed up. I don't know why but i seem to be able to read maps better by holding them upside down with the south being at the top. Strange i know but its allways been easier for me that way.
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
deakin
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)