Peregrine Falcon M8??? Perhaps!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Peregrine Falcon M8??? Perhaps!

Postby Boxer6 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:45 am

Getting back to the OP - are we sure it wasn't a Golden Eagle? It's the only large raptor I can think of with a yellow beak. I know it's a bit far south for their normal habitat, but the other birds with yellow beaks would be too small, going by the description.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:03 am

My 'Boys Book of British Birds' (not at all what I was expecting :( ) reckons adult Peregrine Falcons have bright yellow feet and a mostly yellow beak and eye-ring.

Could that be what's been seen?

There's something quite large seems to spend a lot of time on the motorway lamp post just about outside the Mitchell Library. Dunno what it is.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:06 am

A speed camera looking for prey? :P
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Autolycus wrote:My 'Boys Book of British Birds' (not at all what I was expecting :( ) reckons adult Peregrine Falcons have bright yellow feet and a mostly yellow beak and eye-ring.

Could that be what's been seen?

There's something quite large seems to spend a lot of time on the motorway lamp post just about outside the Mitchell Library. Dunno what it is.

Its very difficult to say exactly because its only fleeting glimpses you get at 70mph on the M8. I again saw the bird on Friday last at the Ballieston Interchange and it has all the hallmarks of PPM's Buzzard. However I won't rule anything out. Golden Eagle.... I really don't think it would be, otherwise they'de need to shut the M8 to protect the thing.
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Monument » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:45 pm

I would have thought it is unlikely to be a peregrine as they are quite small, have much more streamlined, tapering wings, and in this country are usually (though not exclusively) found in remote, high areas - normally rocky cliff faces for example.
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:09 pm

MacotheIsles wrote:Ah well... All these birds of prey once had their own particular place in the social pecking order in days of old when a man's standing was measured by the size of his raptor. Roughly speaking it was something like Sparrowhawks for the likes of cooks and footmen; Merlins for Barons; Buzzards for Dukes; Falcons for Princes; Kites for Kings and Eagles for Emperors. Something along those lines although species and rank may vary. I can only presume that Lord Garrowhill , 16th Duke of Showcase (noblesse oblige) has been exercising his ancient prerogative on the verge of the M8). Anyway I'm buggered if I can be bothered googling the actual species vs-social-rank as I've just sunk a half bottle of Lidl's finest Port, but you get the gist.

And a Kestrel for a Knave,the original title of Kes by Barry Hines.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:28 pm

floweredpig wrote:

And a Kestrel for a Knave,the original title of Kes by Barry Hines.

Didn't know that. Thanks. I first came across the linking of hunting birds to social rank in T H White's very excellent 'The Sword in the Stone'. After Googling Kestrel for a Knave I found the Book of St Albans which gives a bit more detail on the subject. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falconry#T ... _St_Albans
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glasgowstef » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:16 pm

Hi there Ive just been reading your sighting of peregrine/buzzard. Ive been watching both birds in Glasgow and i am certain its a Buzzard as ive seen buzzards most times i pass the forte.There is a few buzzards opposite the forte on the other side of motorway,they have been there for about 3-4 years thats when i first starting seeing them.You will see 50 buzzards for every 1 peregrine thats how rear the peregrine is!! However there is a few Peregrines in Glasgow !! Ive seen 2 this year.One i seen chasing a pigeon at john street at the city chambers and the other in finnieston beside the sky park building! Other people have seen them at kelvingrove art galleries and on the finnieston crane.Please post if ypou happen to see a Peregrine cheers
Glasgowstef
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:13 pm

I've been trawling through my "back catalogue" (ahem!) and found this. If it looks like this, then it's a buzzard!
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:54 am

Boxer6 wrote:I've been trawling through my "back catalogue" (ahem!) and found this. If it looks like this, then it's a buzzard!

Yeh thats what it looked like. Almost killed it on Sunday.....driving past Old Monkland Cemetery (A8) and it flew right out in front of me......stupid bird!!

They're quite slow and cumbersome birds, but i'd imagine they get into gear when they see some unassuming mammal!!
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:07 pm

Took this photo a few minutes ago from my study window, looking towards the fields to the east of Cuilhill Road.

Not the best photo I know but what do you think? Bird of prey - buzzard perhaps?

It looks similar in size and body shape to the type I regularly see in the vicinity of the M8.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:03 pm

Buzzard. Did you hear it call? Did you see it fly?
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:06 pm

rabmania wrote:Buzzard. Did you hear it call? Did you see it fly?

Nope, it didn't do anything but sit in that tree - it stayed there for at least 20-25 mins and then, when I looked later, it had gone.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:09 pm

It's not a buzzard; it's a bloody pterodactyl. Look how it's making the tree lean.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:14 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:It's not a buzzard; it's a bloody pterodactyl. Look how it's making the tree lean.

::):
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)