Cycle the Clyde

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Cycle the Clyde

Postby Osiris » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:18 am

Hi there,

Has anyone on this forum ever attempted to follow the route of the river Clyde by bicycle (although it could be done on foot)?

I decided last night that I'd like to attempt to go from the City centre to New Lanark or further. I'm pretty certain that its doable, the only section I'm not sure about is Crossford to Kirkfieldbank.

Anyone fancy giving it a go?

Depending on your level of fitness its probably gonna take between 4hrs to best part of a day.

Cheers, J
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby duncan » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:32 am

i'd maybe be up for that, depending on dates and other commitments
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Osiris » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:54 pm

I'll let you know when i'm planning on doing it Duncan, it mainly depends on the weather though.

My current plan is too start from the Bells Bridge and cycle to Bonnington Linn then get the train back from Lanark.

I've covered most of the route already but not in one go, there are some really good sites along the way (old mills, power stations, towers and Victorian follies to name but a few).

J
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DasGutHerrDoktor » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:46 pm

Could be game - heres a pictorial guide to the route from Glasgow Green to Bothwell bridge, which I did for a teenagers sponsored cycle

http://www.btinternet.com/~grahamd/cycle/

From there to Strathclyde park is a bit dodgy, as you have to cross Raith interchange at the turned-off pedestrian crossing. Not sure of any route from Motherwell down the Clyde vally, though the main road follows the river closely to the bridge before Lanark, and then can get along the west bank to Bonnington Linn and the dam
DasGutHerrDoktor
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Osiris » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:27 am

Great pics DasGutHerrDoktor, I did that part of the route myself last week.

Motherwell to Clyde Valley is relatively straightforward following the Clyde Millenium Walkway, although most of it is offroad so a mountain bike or tyres with a bit of grip would be required. From Strathclyde Park follow the Clyde down to Bothwellhaugh Nature Reserve then past the old Power Station at Dalzell Park through the fields to the Garrion Bridge then rejoin the walkway on the eastern side of the river to Crossford.

The road route is equally nice along past Rosebank, Hazelbank, Crossford ect... if your a masochist then you might wanna cycle up Braidwood Road to take a look at the Tower of Halbar. Theres also a monument around there to General Roy, the founder of the Ordenance Survey but i've never found it.

The weather forecast for the weekend looks good, i might give it a go on Sunday.

J
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)