Press

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Press

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Did the Sun not have a Jimmy Reid column at some point before he jumped the dyke to the Nats. And just what is the current percentage of Sun buyers who still think it's a Labour paper?

News International will do anything to sell newspapers. Only full clothed tits appear in the weekend editions of the Sun as they now think naked ones put women off purchasing their rag.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Did the Sun not have a Jimmy Reid column at some point before he jumped the dyke to the Nats. And just what is the current percentage of Sun buyers who still think it's a Labour paper?

News International will do anything to sell newspapers. Only full clothed tits appear in the weekend editions of the Sun as they now think naked ones put women off purchasing their rag.

I refer you to my previous post.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:06 pm

Neither the Evening times nor The Daily Record are changing their editorial line. They've always had guest contributors and regular columnists who did not share that line. I'm sure Teddy Taylor wrote for one of them.

I refer to your previous post.

In certain parts of the United Kingdom a "Hard line unionist" carries the same meaning regardless of whether or not you share a certain political enthusiasm. It is certainly not limited to those who would describe themselves as Irish.

I'm sure you could stick a Funk and Wagnall in that sporran.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:33 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Neither the Evening times nor The Daily Record are changing their editorial line. They've always had guest contributors and regular columnists who did not share that line. I'm sure Teddy Taylor wrote for one of them.

I refer to your previous post.

Fair enough. As I said, I'm speaking from a degree of weakness, having read-only 'linked-to' articles in those papers in the last decade, rather than being a daily cover-to-cover reader. I'll take your word for most of that, since you're usually accurate on facts.

Unrelated - was Teddy Taylor a supplementary/replacement columnist for John Junor in the Sunday Express at one point?

Dexter St. Clair wrote:In certain parts of the United Kingdom a "Hard line unionist" carries the same meaning regardless of whether or not you share a certain political enthusiasm. It is certainly not limited to those who would describe themselves as Irish.

The 'It is certainly not limited to those who would describe themselves as Irish.' : As I'm sure you aware before you commented, that's neither what I said nor what I implied. Although it is useful in setting the context of your reply.

Dexter St. Clair wrote:I'm sure you could stick a Funk and Wagnall in that sporran.

I don't have any idea whatsoever (without Googling) what that means so I'll pass, although I do have some Funk and some Wagner recordings.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:53 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Neither the Evening times nor The Daily Record are changing their editorial line. They've always had guest contributors and regular columnists who did not share that line. I'm sure Teddy Taylor wrote for one of them.

Today's issue suggests that they are Dex: until recently, their approach to the SNP has been hostile, their support to Labour supine. As to their motives, I can't say, perhaps they feel that they're reflecting their readership/voting patterns - I don't know. It will be interesting to see how they can justify supporting Labour at the May elections - they will do, how they'll do it is beyond me.
I was genuinely surprised to read today's Record.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:13 am

I'm genuinely surprised anyone reads it. I'm quite surprised anyone who buys it can read.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:25 am

When I was a teenager I was delighted when my dad presented me with a boxed Funk & Wagnall's. I'd heard of it on Rowan and Martin's Laugh In, but to have a set...wow!
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:36 pm

Josef wrote:I do have some Funk and some Wagner recordings.

Wot? No Munk? You iz slippin', dad.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Today's Herald reports that Lloyds Banking Group (we all know where the major shareholding lies) "has injected a further £117.7 million of capital into metals-to-property entrepreneur Sir David Murray’s business empire to help reduce the debt pile.

This capital injection was revealed yesterday with news of a tumble in underlying profits at Murray International Holdings (MIH), and a huge exceptional write-off of £59m arising from Sir David's sale last year of 85% of Rangers Football Club to businessman Craig Whyte for £1."

So, unless I'm mistaken, David Murray gives Rangers to Craig Whyte causing profits at his core company to tumble and an (all but) nationalised bank steps in to keep him afloat.

Am I missing something somewhere?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/business/ ... 2012042113
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:15 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Today's Herald reports that Lloyds Banking Group (we all know where the major shareholding lies) "has injected a further £117.7 million of capital into metals-to-property entrepreneur Sir David Murray’s business empire to help reduce the debt pile.

This capital injection was revealed yesterday with news of a tumble in underlying profits at Murray International Holdings (MIH), and a huge exceptional write-off of £59m arising from Sir David's sale last year of 85% of Rangers Football Club to businessman Craig Whyte for £1."

So, unless I'm mistaken, David Murray gives Rangers to Craig Whyte causing profits at his core company to tumble and an (all but) nationalised bank steps in to keep him afloat.

Don't think you are missing anything.
I must see if Lloyds TSB who have my mortgage, would mind writing it off.
I made a bad investment in a Jags season ticket.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:49 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Today's Herald reports that Lloyds Banking Group (we all know where the major shareholding lies) "has injected a further £117.7 million of capital into metals-to-property entrepreneur Sir David Murray’s business empire to help reduce the debt pile.

Depends.

What are the 'underlying profits'? What relation do they bear to the capitalisation of the company? And to the size of the loan? And the future prospects?

It looks like you're trying to make a 'What team do you support' point here.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Josef wrote: ................

It looks like you're trying to make a 'What team do you support' point here.

Absolutely not. Were this about any form of 'my team's better than your team', based on the usual nonsense about which side of the religious divide people are born into, I wouldn't have mentioned anything which appears to show up Murray and his works in a bad light.

If I have any interest to do declare, it's as the holder of a number of Lloyds TSB accounts - some of which I've held since the days of the Trustee Savings Bank.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:33 pm

But what is your point then?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:41 pm

I asked the question

The Egg Man wrote:..........

I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:54 pm

Which is a tad disingenous, since it presupposes that there is something out of the ordinary corporate run in the series of transactions described.

I'm unconvinced that there is.

I shall be seriously unamused if this conversation makes me look like a supporter of the football team that - thirty years ago - I swore that I would never attend another game by. But be that as it may be....
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)