Press

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Press

Postby RDR » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:11 am

BrigitDoon wrote:I knew these photos existed some while ago but I didn't expect them to see the light of day.

Neville Thurlbeck, News of the World reporter recently arrested for phone hackery, went on a mission one day to set up a couple for one of their dubious stories. The couple were suspicious from the start so they made sure they recorded proceedings...

NSFW

"Onan the Barbarian" in the nuddie >>

Do let your breakfast go down first. ::):

Ugh! where's the vomiting smilie?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:32 am

Got one! :D

Where's the kill-marking smilie? 8)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:35 am

Nice legs, shame about the boat race.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri May 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Beep

Herald newspaper sales slump below 50,000. :|
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby delirium » Tue May 24, 2011 9:24 am

I'm not surprise the Sunday Herald sales have slumped, if I'm any example anyway as I've gone from buying it every week to only a rare purchase. The recent changes were incredibly stupid! Putting it all into one issue completely goes against how many people read their Sunday paper. We now either fall out over it or one does without anything. They've backtracked slightly by seperating the sports section again, but too little too late. The funny thing is, even the regular columns I previously enjoyed I now skim past, the whole paper seems offputting somehow. It never fails to amaze me how little care and attention newspaper companies (and I can say that as someone who spent years working for one) pay to their readers!
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Tue May 24, 2011 8:49 pm

I find the Glasgow ET hardly worth buying now. Virtually no news. Remember the old days when the last edition had the days court room stuff plus a stock market latest prices column. Even used to buy it at the Renfrew Ferry at 5.30pm or so to get the 2pm and even 2.30pm horse racing 1-2-3. I recently bought the Dundee Courier. Page 3's big news was a missing cat! Page 5 was local news.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:43 pm

Jeremy Hunt plans to approve Rupert Murdoch’s BSkyB takeover in a few days time. But the coalition is weak and divided. With a huge appeal now to Vince Cable – who knows the danger Murdoch poses to our democracy - we could derail the deal.

In return for supporting David Cameron at the general election, Rupert Murdoch expected to own all of BSkyB months ago. He's angry thatwe forced the government to put the brakes on. The Lib Dems were hammered by voters last month and are now desperately trying to distance themselves from the Tories. So let’s raise a mass outcry to Vince Cable to follow his conscience and threaten to resign unless the government blocks this deal.

Sign the petition calling on Cable to stand up against News Corporation, and for our democracy. We’ll deliver it with a splash to the Business Secretary next week, making media waves that could rock the coalition. With hacking scandals piling up and the deal's cost rising every day this could be decisive. Sign now, and circulate to everyone you know.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/bkyb_decision_time/?vl
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby strange brew » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:43 pm

But Vince Cable has no responsibility at all towards the deal - that was taken away from him after he was caught on tape admirably declaring war on Murdoch. Shouldn't you be targeting Jeremy Cu..sorry, Hunt, who actually will be the deciding factor here?
strange brew
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:14 pm

strange brew wrote:But Vince Cable has no responsibility at all towards the deal - that was taken away from him after he was caught on tape admirably declaring war on Murdoch. Shouldn't you be targeting Jeremy Cu..sorry, Hunt, who actually will be the deciding factor here?

Camoron doesn't let Jeremy Hunt decide for himself what colour of Y fronts he's going to wear that day.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Herald

Anger as 90 journalists face axe at Daily Record

9 Jun 2011

POLITICIANS have attacked the Trinity Mirror newspaper group for hammering the “nail in the coffin” of its Scottish titles after announcing plans to axe almost half its editorial staff at the Daily Record and Sunday Mail.

The London-based media company, which also prints the Mirror and Sunday Mirror, announced yesterday that it would be shedding 90 journalist jobs at its office in Glasgow from a total workforce of around 240.

It is understood the writing pool will be cut from around 50 to 27, while its current staff of 11 photographers will be reduced to just three. The picture desk is understood to be losing three of its eight employees with the multimedia desk dropping from 22 to 12. Sport is believed to be remaining intact.

The cuts were revealed as the papers announced the next stage of their drive to create “one of the most technologically advanced and operationally efficient digital newsrooms in Europe”.

Trinity Mirror said it would also include the sharing of non-Scottish content with sister titles the Mirror, Sunday Mirror and The People.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:48 pm

last i knew the scottish mirror only had three staff in scotland.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:17 am

Greenslades Blog in The Guardian makes some interesting points regarding the decline of the The Daily Record.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2011/jun/13/daily-record-trinity-mirror

I suspect the rot has been chronic and there has been no interest from Trinity Mirror in fighting the decline, just managing it.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:44 pm

I've noticed the latest New Scientist has the headline "Unknown Elements".

Who is this publication aimed at? It used to be a respected scientific journal, or so I was led to believe. I stopped buying it some while ago because it seemed aimed at a sci-fi/kids audience.

These "unknown elements" turn out to be nothing more than a number of rare-earth metals, all of which we were required to know about for A-level chemistry.

http://magbooks.org/post-29096/new-scie ... ne-2011-uk
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:18 am

It has died a death of late hasn't it ... "Science with free balloons and crayons" I began to call it. Cancelled my sub a few months back.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:21 am

balloons AND crayons ,where do i sign.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)