Ancestory

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Ancestory

Postby scotthiggy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:22 pm

Can anyone help in advising me of a good way to trace relations of mine , the McCoy family who resided at 24 Maryhill Road, in the 1920s & 30's? I have been down the usual routes ( Scotlandspeople, GROS Princes St , 22 Park Circus,Genes Reunited, Friends Reunited, Facebook) but to no avail?
Hope someone can point me in a better direction.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32935908@N07
scotthiggy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Ancestory

Postby ninatoo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:49 am

Hello scotthiggy and welcome to HG,

If you haven't struck gold yet, it might be because the name you are looking for may have spelling variations. It matters not how the family spelled it, or how you think it should be spelled....the registrar was often the writer, so records were often mis-spelled.

Having said that, you will get loads of help from a terrific site called talkingscot.com. The site is dedicated to genealogy. Not sure if has problems at the moment...my browser won't take me there but it was working fine yesterday - keep trying if it isn't working today.

Also there is rootschat.com. Both of these are free...and just full of helping hands who can often point you in the right direction.

Nina
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:43 pm

the street directory shows:

1927. 24 Maryhill Road, Norman Colquhoun, Dental Practice

1933. 24 Maryhill Road, Jeannie Reid, Milliner

sorry, thats all the info l have

try this http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/forums.html
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotthiggy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:56 pm

Thank you so much guys for the tips. I am trying to trace a William Wallace who was born in Lochwinnoch in 1943. I know his DOB,his father and mother's names but i dont know what to do next?! Ive tried 192.com, but William Wallace is a pretty popular name.....especially around Lochwinnoch & Renfrewshire, as that is where the William "Braveheart" Wallace hails from too! Talkingscot is indeed down for the time being, so i'll keep on trying. How do you get access to the Glasgow street directory, Robertpool?
Cheers
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32935908@N07
scotthiggy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby robertpool » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:18 pm

you can buy the directories.

I only have the ones for 1853, 1864, 1893, 1904, 1927, 1933 and 1971

the Mitchell Library has lots more

if anyone has anymore please email me please
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dalriada6 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:03 am

Hi Folks,
I've just joined, so here goes, clutching at straws.
My grandfather whom I never got to meet, James Mills Stewart, was born in Ayr, 1896, but moved to Glasgow after a split in the family. His mother was Isabella Stewart ms Mills, father James Stewart both of Ayr. His mother remarried and became Mrs. Shepherd and was living at 62 Gilbert St. Glasgow, believed she returned to Ayr.
He died 9th December 1959 in the Victoria Infirmary,he had been living at 72 Denbeck St. Glasgow/Lanark and was 63 at time of death.
His son James Stewart was the witness on the certificate, living at 34 Ducraig St. Glasgow/Lanark
These addresses are probably gone now, redevelopment.
I've managed to get the family tree as far back as 1770 for the Stewart's in Perthshire, and apart from finding my Glasgow family!, I'd love to give them this information, can anyone help or advise me on this?
Dalriada6
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dalriada6 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:21 am

scotthiggy wrote:Can anyone help in advising me of a good way to trace relations of mine , the McCoy family who resided at 24 Maryhill Road, in the 1920s & 30's? I have been down the usual routes ( Scotlandspeople, GROS Princes St , 22 Park Circus,Genes Reunited, Friends Reunited, Facebook) but to no avail?
Hope someone can point me in a better direction.

Have you tried www.familysearch.org, I had a look, there are a load of McCoy's there, when you were on Scotland's People site did you try changing the spelling, I had to do this a lot. Depending on the registrar taking the info down in the first place and these certs being put onto the site, things get changed, good luck.
Dalriada6
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:52 pm

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Avenger » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:35 pm

I've thought about doing some research in this area, but, mainly due to ignorance, have never quite got around to it. A cousin of mine did some digging, she said some of the main problems were the repetition of christian names , slight variations in the spelling of the surname, lack of explanation for people movement, (where did the son/brother come from/go to?) and my favourite, the ability of some female ancestors to get younger with time because they told porkies about their age, I think the latter is a trait that continues to this day!
Avenger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:08 am

You think any of that's bad? I'm a proper spanner in the works. :twisted:

As far as I know there will be no death certificate issued in my birth name. There are two birth certificates available, one for my old name, one for the new and it is a criminal offence for a person in an official capacity to link the two.

Most of the data is unavailable anyway because it's protected.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:37 pm

I started researching my family tree in May 2009- starting with myself, siblings and my parents, my research now covers some 768 people, stretching back to the late 1780's no mean feat considering my parent's surnames of Kelly (from the Calton) and Paterson (Coatbridge) both common surnames in these areas for many years.

I took it up after being made redundant, and to give myself something to keep the brain working and to break the monotony of looking for a new job, it can be an expensive hobby, but a rewarding one too.

For instance I uncovered an aunt that my father never knew he had or indeed met, (having been killed in a house fire aged 10), including newspaper reports from the time. Another cousin killed in an accident at Yorkhill Quay, and only just last Friday, I have been able to part answer a family mystery over the twice married old Aunt, and who really was the father of her illegitimate son, and also an apparent suicide by someone arriving at the gates of HM Prison Duke Street in the back of the prison van.

There are some great resources out there, all you need is a bit of patience, and a willingness to learn. I would say that anyone thinking of doing this should also have an open mind, and not to judge people or events from the past - their actions made you what you are today, and most likely the same "shocking" stories (illegitimacy, divorce, drunkness, unemployment, applying for benefits etc) from a bygone time still happen today and indeed are the accepted norm.

Sadly my research will have to be halted for a while as I start my new job on Monday, but it's a hobby that can be picked up at anytime.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:07 pm

You could look up the voters roll for that street in the Mitchell.......
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm thinking of getting one of those DNA genetic tests.
Anyone got any info or experience of them?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:28 pm

I've asked my GP, endocrinologist and the peeps at the gender clinic and they're not interested in helping. The police might help, though ;)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)