Dundas Street Bus Station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby trudger » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:10 pm

a a a
Last edited by trudger on Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:22 pm

.....Was it not called Killermont street bus station

http://www.centralsmt.co.uk/killermont_street.htm

I remember that station well. Big arches for the buses to get in....

Good site this..

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby skintobalinto » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:43 pm

I think Dundas St. Bus station was near Killermont St. Bus Station. Dundas St. Bus station was open and not enclosed (like a big shed) as Killermont St. was.

I caught many a bus at Dundas St. Station going to my Aunties in Easterhouse.

Also I think it was Green Eastern and Blue Midland buses at Dundas St. and red Central at Killermont St.
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:25 pm

Killermont St Station

I think they were both technically on Killermont Street

Photos from Virtual Mitchell (I hope this is OK) ::): ::):
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:34 am

Trudger,

I think this is is the Killermont Garage (the back side of the photo I posted), across the road and down a wee bit was the Dundas St. Garage.

They both operated at the same time and served different parts of central scotland until the Buchanan St Bus Station was opened I think in the early eighties, It was built on the land with all the cars parked on it.

I am no expert this is from childhood memories as well, maybe someone has a definitive answer?

Hope this helps ::):
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

The bus stations

Postby gap74 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:44 am

Perhaps these might help - they're from the Streets of Glasgow book that I used for many pics in the pre-1980 colour pics thread. I'll quote the captions instead of making my own up for them, as they seem to go some way to answering the previous posts!

Buchanan Street ends today at the steps leading into the Royal Concert Hall, which opened in 1990. The lost section north of there included Buchanan Street bus station, opened by the Scottish Motor Traction (SMT) group in 1934 for services that until then had used stances in Cathedral Street. It was used mainly by Laexander, SMT and Central SMT buses, but Western SMT also ised it for its first couple of years for routes to Kilmarnock, Ayr and beyond. The adjacent Massey's greengrocer's shop had been demolished by February 1975, when Alexander (Midland) MT20, a Ford R1114 with Alexander Y-type body, was recorded emerging into Buchanan Street using what, for most of the bus stations's life, was its exit. This was originally the entrance, and the design envisaged buses leaving by the individual platform doorways on the northern and eastern sides of the building in Germiston Street adn Killermont Street; probably because of this original design, Central SMT continued to describe it as Killermont Street bus satation. The bus station closed in 1976, and the site is buried somewhere beneath today's Killermont Street, which runs roughly east-west and is substantially longer than the original, which ran from south to north.

Alexander's relieved congestion at the Buchanan Street site in 1944 by building Dundas Street bus station, an open air terminal close by on the sout-eastern corner of Dundas Street/Killermont Street and Parliamentary Road corssroads. Both bus stations were next door to the warehouses of Buchanan Street goods station. This 1960 photograph shows RD16, a 1956 Bristol Lodekka LD6G of the David Lawson fleet, turning into the bus station from Parliamentary Road. [...] The buildings behind, including the Parly Road Cafe and George Boyd builders' merchants, were demolished long before the bus station closed in 1976.

Fast forward to Parliamentary Road in a summer's morning in 1976. [...] The red brick wall to its right is the Killermont Street side of Buchanan Street bus station [...] and the site of the Parly Road cafe has long since become an overspill bus-parking area. [...] The new Buchanan Street bus station - off-camera to the right - opened before Christmas that year.

(My comments) Overnight buses to London in the mid-1960s at Dundas Street bus station. Note the Forfarshire Bar on the corner of Killermont Street and Parliamentary Road. Is this one of the bars that sits all alone in the aerial shots posted elsewhere, when all the buildings around it were demolished?

Gary

Edit: First picture resized
Admin
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)