Armed stand-off at nuclear bunker

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Armed stand-off at nuclear bunker

Postby DavidJ » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:57 am

Hi all. First time I've posted here but thought this might be of some interest to you - saw it on the news this morning:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3785945.stm
DavidJ
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby purplegrum » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:06 pm

I was lead to believe that this site was manned by security 24/7 even although it's a museum. Been there a few times, it's not bad - although some of the equipment descriptions are a tad inaccurate!

That'll be a nightmare to get someone in there, so many places to hide up in.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidJ » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:13 pm

They should just lock the doors on him.

He'll want out soon enough.
DavidJ
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby purplegrum » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:42 pm

Well there's only two entrances into the place, the main entrance and the emergency exit. There's also a cafe so they'll be food and drink down there too - so he could hold up for a while if he really wanted.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:09 pm

Not really a lot of point in hiding in what is effectively a cul-de-sac. Wonder if we'll ever find out why he really bolted down there?

Although there's many nooks and crannies. by virtue of its closed nature, it should be relatively straightforward to sweep the place with proper manpower.

Alternatively, it is airtight so shut and seal the doors, kill the power, backup and ventilation and wait...
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:13 pm

Apollo wrote:Not really a lot of point in hiding in what is effectively a cul-de-sac. Wonder if we'll ever find out why he really bolted down there?

Although there's many nooks and crannies. by virtue of its closed nature, it should be relatively straightforward to sweep the place with proper manpower.

Alternatively, it is airtight so shut and seal the doors, kill the power, backup and ventilation and wait...

I would love to find out why he wanted to hide out down there - seems so weird. Just hope he's not gone on a rampage and wrecked the joint, there's a lot of equipment down there that could be hard to replace.

Apollo, do you know how the backup systems work... if they cut the mains power would they automatically take the load for the place? I'm not sure how it'll be set up now if the museum has changed anything.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:28 pm

Probably just concidence that he locked himself in bunker on the day venus crossed the sun but perhaps he thought the world was about to end? :!: :!:
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidJ » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:46 pm

I never thought of that.

They should get a load of people to dress up as zombies and wait outside for him.
DavidJ
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:51 am

and it seems he's still in there, and the world hasn't ended! :wink:
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DickyHart » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:05 am

Damn, and I missed it too.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:24 pm

DavidJ wrote:They should get a load of people to dress up as zombies and wait outside for him.

::): ::):

I suppose it is the end of his world 8O He'll either be sectioned or imprisoned when they get him out :roll:
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby DavidJ » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:28 pm

Apparently his name's Ronald MacDonald, the years of constant fast-food related jokes at his expense must have finally made him snap.

According to some guy they interviewed on the news today he had a crow with him in the cab of the digger he was driving.
DavidJ
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby stevoooo » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:18 pm

how mad is this...

"McDonald removed a skeleton from the medical training room and brought it into the diner, where he positioned it in front of him.

'He seemed to be taking aim with a rifle and firing at it.'

MacDonald then appeared to make the skeleton cups of tea.The source said: 'He then moved the skeleton behind the counter, and draped its arms over tea cups.'"
stevoooo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby purplegrum » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:09 pm

On a serious note though there is quite a worry that he may damage some of the equipment down there that is getting increasingly hard to source. May just seem like old junk to him, but for cold war historians like me it's pieces of history.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrpattersonsir » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:27 am

do you think he just shouted "ronald mcdonald" for a laugh? i like to think he sat there for a while thinking of different names, before settling on ronald:

"joseph stalin?, no"

"oliver hardy?, no"

"ronald mcdonald?... i like that!"

however, if hes mad enough to do an armed seige in a hole in the ground, then he might just be mad enough to believe hes a ginger heided clown.
mrpattersonsir
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)