Cambuslang-mystery pitch & building

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Cambuslang-mystery pitch & building

Postby cumbo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:28 pm

Is the M74 not cutting through there ?
the wee building was used by a transport firm until a few years ago.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TEAMSANO » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:59 pm

strangely enough, the house with a the blue arrow always intrigued me, as it appears to be a semi detached house which has been cut in half. i.e. one house missing. (hard to explain, but i'm sure anyone familiar with the area would agree.) ::):
TEAMSANO
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:57 pm

I'm not really, but I agree anyway. :)
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hervey » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:32 am

Might be flats soon? Going back to its original use. Was a miners' row until approx 1900. My grandparents lived there before being relocated to Silverbanks St at the beginning of the 20th century.
I played football regularly on that field in the 1950's

Eastfield school in the background was located on the corner of Cambuslang and Bogleshole Rds.

[imgImage]
Hervey
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:06 am

The demolition of Eastfield School a year or two ago, along with the former Cambuslang Library, and the current demolition of the former Gateside School, were all acts of architectural vandalism. All of them could have been re-used in some way, but sadly, I've found South Lanarkshire Council to be constantly blinded by the promise of something new and shiny, regardless of quality, history and heritage.

I'm glad I got the Savoy Bingo hall in Cambuslang listed the week that it closed, at least Wetherspoon's can't just tear the interior out now!

Just to remind us of Gateside, now a pile of rubble:

gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deakin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:19 am

gap74 wrote:I'm glad I got the Savoy Bingo hall in Cambuslang listed the week that it closed, at least Wetherspoon's can't just tear the interior out now!

Glad to know it's been listed, i worked in there for a very happy seven years starting of running the floor giving out 20p's change for the prize bingo then i moved up the ranks to become the main session caller. i have so many fond memorys from my time working there. I made some great friends too but sadly with time have lost contact with them.

Word of warning to anyone that decides to explore the building. Do not under any circumstances go down to the basement,look behind the boiler and pick up the brown botterils paper bag that sits there. for ye shall open up the gates to hell.. well you'll find a solidified quantity of vomit that resulted from a christmass party where vast amounts of cheap beer and even cheaper vodka was consumed.

One regret i have is not keeping the old posters from the late 40's early 50's that we found in the old projection rooms,i'm guessing they would be worth a small fortune now. just thinking about that place brings back so many memorys like the time a certian doorman got caught getting oral sex from the local transvestie that used to hang about the main street.
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
deakin
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gap74 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:03 pm

Ha-ha, Cambuslang didn't have a wealth of trannies, so I think I know who you mean!

My dear departed grandmother was a regular there, I only hope she never stumbled on the sight of this alternative jackpot!

Do you know if the posters are still there, or if they were chucked? The architects doing the conversion for Wetherspoon's have said they'll let us in next time they visit the building, but have sent me in the meantime a few blurry pics of the interior, if you PM me, I'll pass them on for a nostalgia trip if you like!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:18 pm

The demolition of Eastfield School a year or two ago, along with the former Cambuslang Library, and the current demolition of the former Gateside School, were all acts of architectural vandalism. All of them could have been re-used in some way, but sadly, I've found South Lanarkshire Council to be constantly blinded by the promise of something new and shiny, regardless of quality, history and heritage.

You whined and moaned for years to leave Glasgow and when Michael Forsyth redrew the boundaries and you got your wish you're still greeting. You've still got the town hall.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:58 am

To be honest, I had no feelings one way or the other about leaving Glasgow, possibly because I was in my early 20s at the time and was too busy being a terrible student - although I was miffed that I suddenly faced a boundary charge if I jumped in a black hack home!

Having said that, I do remember my cynical side thinking that councils are all generally as bad as one another, and that it wouldn't make much of a difference to anything, which has been proven to be the case as far as my older self is concerned.

The curious thing about South Lanarkshire is just how big and scattered it is - I feel no affinity really with the other main towns, Hamilton, East Kilbride, Biggar etc etc.

As for Rutherglen Town Hall - well, that's in Rutherglen, I'm a Cambuslang man, I don't feel it belongs to me in any particular way either.

All South Lanarkshire have done for Cambuslang, as far as I can see, is produce another redevelopment of the Main Street which is just as piss poor as the 1960s one, and they've thrown a bit of money at the area around the shops in Halfway, without really tackling the root causes of why it's such a miserable place to be...
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby EdBoyle » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Re the Savoy cinema

I remember a school visit in the 1950s from St Brides. We all trooped down Greenlees Road and entered via the back lane behind the Royal bank. Years later when watching a feature film there, a short came on between the main films and to everyones surprise it was a film of all us kids coming down the lane to enter the cinema by the back door.

I often wondered what happened to that film. Anyone Know?

Ed

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslan ... slang.html
EdBoyle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:55 am

HollowHorn wrote:Bogleshole Road
My goodness, what an unfortunate name. 8O

There's a Boglemart St. in Stevenston.
I once knew a Jimmy Bogle.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 pm

Boglehole was a ford across the Clyde. The Bogles [a famous Glasgow merchant family] owned the adjacent land hence the name of the ford.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby EdBoyle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:11 am

EdBoyle wrote:Re the Savoy cinema

I remember a school visit in the 1950s from St Brides. We all trooped down Greenlees Road and entered via the back lane behind the Royal bank. Years later when watching a feature film there, a short came on between the main films and to everyones surprise it was a film of all us kids coming down the lane to enter the cinema by the back door.

I often wondered what happened to that reel of film. Is it still lying in the deepest dungeons of the Savoy. Anyone Know?

Ed

EdBoyle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby deakin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:52 am

EdBoyle wrote:Re the Savoy cinema

I often wondered what happened to that film. Anyone Know?

Ed

Sorry to drag up a really old thread but i just noticed the above post.

Thier were some old film cans found in a boarded up room found while the builders were renovating the upper floors into the new head office. I can clearly remember some of them were marked with local school names. Sadly however, the contents were beyond repair as they had been left open for countless years. One can was still sealed but the label was unreadable. As far as i know it was given to the Glasgow uni film department.

On a slighty naughty tangent. That back door you spoke of, Well i had my first ahem.. oral pleasuring there from a lovely but very drunk co-worker there :twisted:
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
deakin
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Doorstop » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:10 am

Romance isn't dead, after all.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)