Toilet facilities

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Toilet facilities

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:06 am

I spent a month in the high Himalaya where the toilet facilities consisted of a hut propped several feet above the ground. There was a hole in the floor. They rely on gravity to do their dirty work.

Finally, we arrived at the regional airport at Lukla. The hotel had a proper loo in it. One of the Australian members of our party was first to discover it:

"Guys! We have a flushing dunny!"

Everyone ran to admire it; we had a dozen people crammed into the smallest room in an act of reverential worship.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:07 am

I know that feeling :)
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:08 am

BrigitDoon wrote:
Alvin Smith wrote:In Singapore I heard you'll have to pay a fortune to use a public toilet. Good thing it's not like that in California. I love the window cleaning staff of Los Angeles cafes as they always let me in whenever I plead to use the bathroom even though I didn't buy anything on their menu. People with very kind hearts.
What, spam not on the menu? 8O

Bummer, did I miss that one? :D
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stranger » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:55 pm

Timchilli wrote:Wonder what they'll do with the ironwork from the old Glasgow Cross Station now that the St Vincent Street shit-lockers are to be closed. Hope they're preserved somewhere.

Sorry to drag up an old topic but I only noticed this last week on one of my infrequent visits home. Does anyone know what happened to the old Caledonian Railway panels, will they appear in the new transport museum or was it thrown out for scrap like so much of Glasgow's heritage?
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby calamity » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:51 am

I took photos of the old lavvies at Brigton Cross which were covered up for a long time because of junkies, now all filled in with concrete and covered up.. and was thinking that apart from pubs there nowhere to go here if yer bursting.. its terrible. so what will they come up with for the Commonwealth Games. theres no a lavvy or a decent restaurant here in Brigton so theyd better get their finger oot fast.
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:50 pm

calamity wrote:I took photos of the old lavvies at Brigton Cross which were covered up for a long time because of junkies, now all filled in with concrete and covered up.. and was thinking that apart from pubs there nowhere to go here if yer bursting.. its terrible. so what will they come up with for the Commonwealth Games. theres no a lavvy or a decent restaurant here in Brigton so theyd better get their finger oot fast.

or put it in even faster
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ccoolc353 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:11 pm

stranger wrote:
Timchilli wrote:Wonder what they'll do with the ironwork from the old Glasgow Cross Station now that the St Vincent Street shit-lockers are to be closed. Hope they're preserved somewhere.

Sorry to drag up an old topic but I only noticed this last week on one of my infrequent visits home. Does anyone know what happened to the old Caledonian Railway panels, will they appear in the new transport museum or was it thrown out for scrap like so much of Glasgow's heritage?

The panels have been re-erected albeit raised by a panel. At least they weren't scrapped. Some paint work needing finished though
Newly re-erected panels at St Vincent Street new toilets
face on view
Colin Harkins
ccoolc353
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby ccoolc353 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:15 pm

lexurian wrote:Hey folks, I actally just joined the forum, although I've lurked here frequently, to ask this question: What on earth has happened to the St Vincent toilets? - the 'refurbishment' seems to have turned them into an East-European punishment block, right slap-bang in one of the finest streets in Glasgow - pease tell me I'm dreaming. They're surely not going to stay like that??? If so how on Earth was this allowed? Who do you complain to? Does anyone know someone with a JCB? I can't believe it's real, I really can't.

The panels have been re-erected albeit raised by a panel. At least they weren't scrapped. Some paint work needing finished though
face on view
Colin Harkins
ccoolc353
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby robertpool » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:31 pm

St Vincent Place Loos photo in 2007

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:36 am

GCC

By Bailie Dr Nina Baker:-

"Glasgow City Council notes that Glasgow has very few public toilets and only one that meets the full "changing spaces" criteria. The general shortage of public toilets in the city centre is a public safety issue, placing women in particular at additional risk. The absolute shortage of full-specification toilets for users with disabilities is discriminatory and not compliant with equality policies.

Glasgow City Council resolves to establish a cross party short term working group to work with council staff and the Style Mile Partnership on a feasibility study to establish more 24 hour and fully accessible public toilets in the city centre."
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:53 am

ccoolc353 wrote:
lexurian wrote:Hey folks, I actally just joined the forum, although I've lurked here frequently, to ask this question: What on earth has happened to the St Vincent toilets? - the 'refurbishment' seems to have turned them into an East-European punishment block, right slap-bang in one of the finest streets in Glasgow - pease tell me I'm dreaming. They're surely not going to stay like that??? If so how on Earth was this allowed? Who do you complain to? Does anyone know someone with a JCB? I can't believe it's real, I really can't.

face on view

That looks truly awful - is it as bad as it looks?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:59 am

As part of the Glasgow City Council’s property rationalisation programme, Land and Environmental Services intend to declare the former public toilets at 43 St Vincent Place G1 2ER surplus to requirements. It is intended to transfer this facility to City Property for marketing.

Can I request that any comments you wish to be taken into account, are emailed to David Moffat on or before 12th January 2012. Should no comments be received by that date, I will consider that you agree to the Service proceeding to the next stage of declaring the property surplus.

If you require any further information, please contact David Moffat on 0141 287 8112 or email [email protected]

Sorry for the poor construction of the above but I've re-jigged an email that went to someone else. For the avoidance of doubt it's the underground toilets they're talking about.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Item 3 (8 Pages)

14th March 2012

PUBLIC TOILET PROVISION

Purpose of Report:
To provide an overview of Public Toilet provision and to highlight options for future development and expansion.

Recommendation:
It is recommended that Committee:
    notes the content of the report; and,
    considers the range of options available for future expansion.

1 Introduction
1.1 Following referral from full Council, the provision Public Toilets was included in
the 2011/12 work programme of the Sustainability and the Environment Policy
Development Committee.
1.2 This report provides an overview of current provision and outlines the key
drivers for review. Options for expansion and their associated implications
have been identified for Committee consideration.
2 Overview of Current Public Convenience Provision
2.1 In 2008-09, Executive Committee approved the replacement of existing staffed
public conveniences with Automated Public Conveniences.
2.2 This measure was a direct response to addressing a range of difficulties
associated with the existing manned provision. This included:
Significant capital investment requirements on an ageing provision which
was no longer fit for purpose
    DDA compliance
    Increasing operational costs and reducing patronage
    Limitations on opening times
    Staffing provision and cover
    Health and safety concerns
    User expectations/demand
    Anti-social behaviour
2.3 The new Automated Public Convenience (APC) facilities are provided by
Healthmatic Ltd, under contract for a period of 15 years for the lease of the
units and the associated maintenance.
2.4 The initial contract phase saw the four existing public conveniences
redeveloped, with St Vincent Place, Stevenson Street and West Campbell
Street reconfigured to accommodate the automated service.
2.5 The remaining facility at Cathedral Square could not be re-configured
adequately to comply with DDA requirements, and consequently this facility
was relocated to Collins Street.
2.6 Currently, an APC facility is under construction at the new Hampden Stadium
Park and Ride facility, which is anticipated to open in Summer 2012.

Glasgow

This is the first Glass unit to be installed into Glasgow, and will eventually form one of six sites. It was built along the same lines as the Warsaw toilet below, using a concrete shell, and then a cladding system

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)