Chinooks over Glasgow (23/06/08)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Chinooks over Glasgow (23/06/08)

Postby Timchilli » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:07 pm

Two of these bad lads just passed over my house with a thunderous cacophony - any idea what's going on?

TC
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Chinooks over Glasgow (23/06/08)

Postby Peekay » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:30 pm

They go over reasonably reguarly TC. Normally East-to-West first then vice-versa a few hours later. Don't know what they're up to though. Try calling 01436-674-321 to find out. They're nice chaps and I'm sure will be only too happy to answer any queries you may have.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:04 pm

Heading to the Mull Of Kintyre by any chance?
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deebers » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:12 pm

They thundered over my house too… how very odd!
Ehhh... cool. Whatever you say, I'm sorry. You're the man. The dude in the chair.
View my Blog
deebers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alan L » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:51 pm

Saw these flying (very slowly!) north east over Mount Florida at around 8pm tonight. Pretty impressive sight.

If these flights are regular, then I clearly walk around with my head wedged up my arse. That's the first time I've seen Chinooks over Glasgow since I moved here a couple of years back.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:22 pm

Practice Runs

Nats bring in LIT

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:28 pm

I understand a former 'phone box on Highburgh Rd is a popular Tartan Tory target.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:47 pm

Heard the Chinooks over Yoker around 8ish last night - occasionnally see/hear RAF Search & Rescue Sea Kings heading to the Sufferin General with people who chuck themselves of mountains.

Don't think Chinooks are regular visitors though, did see them over Bellshill about a year ago and propr to that was when George Dubbu Bush was in Scotland for the G8 nosh up
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:30 pm

onyirtodd wrote:I understand a former 'phone box on Highburgh Rd is a popular Tartan Tory target.

Yup they go there and read the graffitti about the Closet Tories.
The Labour Party has decided to change its logo from a rose to a condom believing it more accurately reflects their policies. This is because a condom allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pr*cks and gives you a sense of security whilst you are being fcuked!
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:10 pm

yoker brian wrote:Heard the Chinooks over Yoker around 8ish last night - occasionnally see/hear RAF Search & Rescue Sea Kings heading to the Sufferin General with people who chuck themselves of mountains.

Don't think Chinooks are regular visitors though, did see them over Bellshill about a year ago and propr to that was when George Dubbu Bush was in Scotland for the G8 nosh up

The last time I saw them(3 in formation) was 4/8/2008 at 17:55. I can be so accurate because I posted it on a.n.other forum. Apart from that I 'see' them every couple of months-or-so, so no doubt they must be even more frequent than that. They might just be skirting southern Glasgow from where to somewhere else and that's why I catch them.

There is a build-up of military ships in the Clyde/N.Channel just now(including 2 identified as "Coalition Warship") so maybe some kinda excercise due to start? I know of one in October(Op Joint Warrior), but nowt just now.

Just found out too;
"02/08
Mariners are advised that a remote controlled submersible vehicle is adrift and believed to be submerged between Clynder and the Rhu Narrows. Vessels should navigate with caution in this area. Sightings should be reported to QHM Clyde on 01436 677280"

Bet that ROV pilot never got his Rum Ration that night :oops: :(

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kathyf » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:07 pm

I asked an aviation friend, and he said that some part of their manufacture happens in glasgow, and they often
test fly them after fitting, something to do with low flying/navigation. kathyf
kathyf
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby yoker brian » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:15 pm

Peekay wrote:There is a build-up of military ships in the Clyde/N.Channel just now(including 2 identified as "Coalition Warship") so maybe some kinda excercise due to start? I know of one in October(Op Joint Warrior), but nowt just now.

Oh shite.... do you think they have discovered that O.B.L. is hiding up in the Old Kilpatrick hills and are preparing to strike...quick send for SMEATO
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:37 pm

asked an aviation friend, and he said that some part of their manufacture happens in glasgow, and they often
test fly them after fitting, something to do with low flying/navigation. kathyf

i just love the way that rolled out there......... what it really means they test fly them over Glasgow cause if they crash it wont cause any damage or alternatively if they crash in Glasgow we can get troops out quicker before the local neds wake up about 1-2pm & lout the helicopter for spare parts??? :mrgreen:
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Reenie Bujman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:03 pm

Two Chinooks flew over my place in EK the other evening. I knew what they were long before I saw them. They're frequent visitors to the skies of Somerset and they are quite audible at distances of 20 miles or more so if they were regular visitors to Glasgow, you'd notice.

This one tried to land on my head at RNAS Yeovilton's Air Day in 2003

Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:41 pm

I saw the two the other night over Govan, it's only the second time in recent years I've seen a Chinook - never mind two- flying over the city.

Probably a local lad who signed up showing off to his mates in the local young team who didnt make it to the army recruitment day at school.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)