Buses Today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Buses Today

Postby yoker brian » Wed May 29, 2013 6:55 am

66 has been renumbered as a 6 no change to timetable or route according to the literature I have read
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed May 29, 2013 2:19 pm

yoker brian wrote:66 has been renumbered as a 6 no change to timetable or route according to the literature I have read

Absolutely right and I'm wrong. I passed the usual pair this morning. I do have to point a couple of minor differences in the route when the last two buses on a Saturday head straight for Drumchapel from Anniesland rather than via yoker .
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Wed May 29, 2013 4:22 pm

Trust your space aliens in future or it'll be mashed potato for breakfast every day for a week! :P
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Wed May 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
yoker brian wrote:66 has been renumbered as a 6 no change to timetable or route according to the literature I have read

Absolutely right and I'm wrong. I passed the usual pair this morning. I do have to point a couple of minor differences in the route when the last two buses on a Saturday head straight for Drumchapel from Anniesland rather than via yoker .

The last two buses heading straight for Drumchapel will be the new 6A (old 20)
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:49 pm

The 213, 36 and 42 have all been merged into a "gaggle" of 38 A-E all heading out to Woodfarm! There are loads of them, no doubt First can then cut this service to the bone and tell us dafties there were too many buses. Heard this Simplicity shit is to make it simple for the hoards of visitors for the waste of space games next year.

Re-regulation! :evil:
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:57 am

scott125 wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:The consultation period supposed to finish today is extended to next Wednesday, March 6.

The decision has already been made. Consultations, like those in the NHS, are a farce.

I dfon't doubt First have a favoured outcome in mind but it's still possible to have some influence.

Remember the business re the 42 and the 9 swapping routes between Kelvingrove and the city centre? It took a while but we got that reversed - even if some of the Argyle St bus shelters still carry 42 service timetables :roll:

Barely notice the 42 now runs along with other bus routes that are higher in freq like the 9 and 62.

Yeah and I've just heard that the 62 is now the 2!! - what are they on? The 62 has always been "my" bus thank you very much, the artery from Shettleston into the town - how dare they tinker with decades old tradition! (even though I've always preferred the train into Queen St LL...hypocrite that I am!)
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:28 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:
Yeah and I've just heard that the 62 is now the 2!! - what are they on? The 62 has always been "my" bus thank you very much, the artery from Shettleston into the town - how dare they tinker with decades old tradition! (even though I've always preferred the train into Queen St LL...hypocrite that I am!)

Only the number has changed.

Same route. Same timetable. Same bams.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:04 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
RapidAssistant wrote:

Only the number has changed.

Same route. Same timetable. Same bams.

Indeed - First are a bunch of xxxxx's and all that. The bus numbers have gone though, along with my rose tinted memories of white, yellow and green Leyland Atlanteans (before they painted them SPTE orange/black), with green vinyl seats, and that smell that was like the inside of an old hot water bottle.....memories!
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:58 am

SCOTLAND'S largest bus-operating company has been plunged into crisis after the head of its Glasgow division went on indefinite gardening leave in a suspected row over service cuts.

Ronnie Park, managing director of First Glasgow, which runs bus services in Greater Glasgow, is understood to be taking a leave of absence. It is unclear if or when he will return to the post. A senior manager from First's Aberdeen division is understood to have been appointed temporarily in his place.

Mr Park took the post in 2010 after serving for three and a half years as operations director and deputy managing director. It is understood he was unhappy about deep cuts that First's senior management expected him to implement.

One industry source told The Herald there were fears the company would now bring in a "heavy-hitter" willing to slash jobs and services.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/tran ... e.21731850
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BairnyBoy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:11 am

Is anybody neatly clued-up on bus prices right now?

I can never seem to get a proper break down of basic prices.

The driver of the 18 will accept the £1.90 (long hop?) fare from EK to Glasgow

but the driver of the 240 wants to charge £3.40 (I think) fare from Glasgow to Mount Vernon(ish).

Seems a bit mental.
"He who learns but does not think, is lost! He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger." - Confucius
BairnyBoy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gap74 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:59 am

There is no map online of where the city zones end - used to be up until recently but it was inaccurate. I'm in one of the nether regions on the outskirts that was originally within them but is now seemingly outwith, and therefore subject to the frankly ridiculous £3.45 fare. Except on night buses, where I am indeed still in the city zones and therefore subject to a fare of only 2 quid. Makes perfect sense...

I don't understand either why EK is £1.90 but my end of Cambuslang is somehow regarded as further. I haven't set foot on a day bus since finding this out. Pish, pish service - the train is both quicker and cheaper these days, its only failing being that the last one is some half an hour before the last bus.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby busdriver » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:18 am

If memory serves, an adult single to Mount Vernon Ave is £1.90, on FG240 (boundary for next fare being, Daldowie Roundabout) which takes you outside the Cityzone, fare would be £3.40 (ish), fares charged outside the Cityzone are based on distance travelled. However EK to/from Glasgow travel is in the Cityzone so adult single £1.90.

Makes sense doesn,t it? :?
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:32 am

That's essentially the reply I got from First Bus on Twitter yesterday - that Lanarkshire routes are based on distance travelled, despite the fact that EK is in Lanarkshire and further away than I am, but still only £1.90. Didn't get a response when I pointed this out...

I wouldn't be so annoyed had my bus stop not originally been in the outer city zone, then moved into £3.45 territory without any publicity - indeed, the online map of the zones still on the site up until SimpliCITY came in still had it in the city zone, and it's still in the city as far as night bus fares are concerned.

A flat fare across the whole of the Glasgow metropolitan area is badly needed, a la TFL or Lothian buses.

*goes to look with envy at Lothian Buses website with it's £1.50 flat fare and all-week night services*
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:03 pm

gap74 wrote:That's essentially the reply I got from First Bus on Twitter yesterday - that Lanarkshire routes are based on distance travelled, despite the fact that EK is in Lanarkshire and further away than I am, but still only £1.90. Didn't get a response when I pointed this out...

I wouldn't be so annoyed had my bus stop not originally been in the outer city zone, then moved into £3.45 territory without any publicity - indeed, the online map of the zones still on the site up until SimpliCITY came in still had it in the city zone, and it's still in the city as far as night bus fares are concerned.

A flat fare across the whole of the Glasgow metropolitan area is badly needed, a la TFL or Lothian buses.

*goes to look with envy at Lothian Buses website with it's £1.50 flat fare and all-week night services*

and there you have it Gap74. Lothian Buses owned by the council and run for the public service. Strathclyde buses sold off and run by Worst Group for profit.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)