Dancing in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Dancing in Glasgow

Postby dancer » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:31 pm

Can anyone remember dancing in the Albert Ballroom or the Astoria in the early 1970s? The Albert was burned down in 1974, and there was a disco in the basement, but I would like to know if ballroom dancing took place in the main ballroom up until the time of the fire. Likewise with the Majestic. When did the last ballroom dancers depart from its floor?
dancer
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Dancing in Glasgow

Postby Dugald » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:54 pm

Dancer, you might try finding the post from Fri May 18, 2007 12:28 pm under the heading
Are Ye Goin' t'the Dancin'? . that thread has to do with dancing in Glasgow... and as you aleady seem well aware of, Glasgow was /is(?) a great place to go dancing. In my day dancing was a very important part of a young man's way of life in the "Big Smoke". and, Glasgow was just as well-renowned for ballroom dancing as it was for shipbuilding, football, and hooliganism.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:19 pm

This is the thread here:

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... f=3&t=6101

I'm just about to add some info to it about the Majestic Ballroom in Hope St, having just obtained new photos of the place.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby northmaven » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:37 pm

The Astoria Ballroom was sited where the Garage club is now, at 490 Sauchiehall St. My dad (born 1929) remembers going to the Astoria for his dinner before night classes, as they also had a restaurant. He described going inside and immediately up a flight of steps, which I understand is the current setup for the Garage.

If anyone has any pics of the frontage or interior of the Astoria, I'd be interested to see them, as I am researching the original venue on that site, Charing Cross Halls, in the early 20thC in another thread.

astoria.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
northmaven
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)