Sectarianism in modern Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Sectarianism in modern Glasgow

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:34 pm

Aye it is a while since a Catholic was murdered for being a Catholic. Not if the murder took place after a football game. However Protestants and other non believers have seen their chances of being employed in a supervisory position by Catholics improved. So there's an outstanding bit of sectarianism being chipped away.

Did Steve Bruce miss that one? Maybe he was at a parade. Not causing any trouble of course. That's left to the football supporting followers.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:28 pm

BBC

Prejudice and crime against asylum seekers in Glasgow may be a bigger problem than sectarianism, according to a survey of attitudes in the city.
A significant number of those questioned said they had a problem with homosexuals, people of a different race or refugees becoming their neighbours.

However, only a small percentage expressed concern about Catholics or Protestants moving in next door.

While sectarianism is perceived as being endemic, there is less evidence to suggest that sectarian crime and discrimination is widespread
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:23 am

Mori wrote:
While sectarianism is perceived as being endemic, there is less evidence to suggest that sectarian crime and discrimination is widespread

This is pretty much what Steve Bruce found - that lots of people imagined sectarianism was endemic but, when pushed, couldn't think of anything sectarian that had actually happened to them personally and the crime statistics did not flag up anything significant either. Some users on here, however, seem to prefer pub gossip and sly-winkery to evidence-based research. :roll:
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:27 am

Mori wrote: A significant number of those questioned said they had a problem with homosexuals, people of a different race or refugees becoming their neighbours.

However, only a small percentage expressed concern about Catholics or Protestants moving in next door.

Human nature is to try and find people similar to yourself - the law of resonance. I don't think you'll ever change that.
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:53 pm

Roxburgh wrote:Steve Bruce in Sectarianism in Scotland provided evidence that there was no discrimination. No-one has yet been able to provide evidence to the contrary.

So we're left with a slight desire for sectarianism. Or is just excusable xenophobia?

So in 100 years there may be an apology.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:51 pm

I experience sectarianism on an almost daily basis in my workplace. I am a non-Catholic Celtic fan in a mostly Protestant Rangers work place. Some of the things that have been said to me or I have overheard are pretty unbelievable.

"I'd rather be a darkie than a tim"
On seeing the new 'Celtic' football from nike, "I'd rather have a Catholic's head to kick aboot than that piece of shit "

A guy refused to sponsor his colleagues wee boy coz the boy went to a Catholic school.
People refusing to eat the green jelly baby, in fact refusing to touch it as if it might burn them

Now, I'm not saying Sellik fans are any better, this is just the stuff I've experienced. Also questions asked about my support, 'if I'm no Catholic why support those arseholes?' etc

I also live right next to Ibrox Stadium, I see and hear what goes on here on match days. If there's an old firm match that Celtic win, the graffiti round here would make your eyes bleed.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:36 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote: So in 100 years there may be an apology.

Apology from whom?
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:41 pm

lynnski wrote:I experience sectarianism on an almost daily basis in my workplace. I am a non-Catholic Celtic fan in a mostly Protestant Rangers work place. Some of the things that have been said to me or I have overheard are pretty unbelievable.

Are catholics in your work place actively discriminated against? Have they been denied promotion due to their religion? Is there a policy not to employ catholics? Are catholics subject to "constructive" dismissal due to the atmosphere there?
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:57 pm

yawn
clunk click
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Previous