Sectarianism in modern Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Sectarianism in modern Glasgow

Postby peter » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:48 pm

As far as I can tell Sectarianism in Glasgow is alive and well. Is there any difference from a racist and a bigot .
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:16 pm

peter wrote:.................... Is there any difference from a racist and a bigot .

Yes.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:51 pm

peter wrote:As far as I can tell Sectarianism in Glasgow is alive and well.

In what respect?
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jack_parlabane » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:22 pm

dave2 wrote:I was wearing a pale blue normal work shirt, and walking through town yesterday past M&S on Argyle St about 5, when I was asked if I would like my head removing from my shoulders for wearing that colour at their end of town. Said gentlemen were wearing nice green and white scarves around their necks.......sad.... :evil:

Obviously that's out of order but I fail to see the sectarianism in that incident.
jack_parlabane
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Blueboy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:25 pm

jack_parlabane wrote:
dave2 wrote:I was wearing a pale blue normal work shirt, and walking through town yesterday past M&S on Argyle St about 5, when I was asked if I would like my head removing from my shoulders for wearing that colour at their end of town. Said gentlemen were wearing nice green and white scarves around their necks.......sad.... :evil:

Obviously that's out of order but I fail to see the sectarianism in that incident.

I'd have knocked fuck out them. But no, that's not sectarian - that's just football related tomfoolery.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jack_parlabane » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:03 pm

Blueboy wrote:
jack_parlabane wrote:

I'd have knocked fuck out them. But no, that's not sectarian - that's just football related tomfoolery.

Indeed. That's my point. Too often incidents are labled as sectarian just because they involve Rangers or Celtic, when in reality they are football related.
jack_parlabane
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Roxburgh » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:20 am

jack_parlabane wrote:
Blueboy wrote:
jack_parlabane wrote:

Indeed. That's my point. Too often incidents are labled as sectarian just because they involve Rangers or Celtic, when in reality they are football related.

Generally speaking, it is considered sectarian if perpetrated by Rangers supporters and football related when perpetrated by Celtic supporters.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Caltonboy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:52 am

Well, as a rangers fan, I can honestly say celtic have at least tried, maybe even cosmetically to eradicate sectrarian singing and behaviour at their ground, but rangers have done very little but bleed their fans dry and treat them like battery hens at games, and charge a fortune for the privilege.
Caltonboy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby samscafeamericain » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:18 am

Roxburgh wrote:
jack_parlabane wrote:
Blueboy wrote:
jack_parlabane wrote:

Generally speaking, it is considered sectarian if perpetrated by Rangers supporters and football related when perpetrated by Celtic supporters.

Maybe that's because Rangers fans cannot separate supporting a football team and FTP
'once you can get men to believe in absurdities you can get them to commit atrocities' ....Voltaire
samscafeamericain
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:16 am

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:25 am

Caltonboy wrote:Well, as a rangers fan, I can honestly say celtic have at least tried, maybe even cosmetically to eradicate sectrarian singing and behaviour at their ground, but rangers have done very little but bleed their fans dry and treat them like battery hens at games, and charge a fortune for the privilege.

Don't fall for the propaganda. Celtic have their fair share of "party" songs. Its just that they have convinced themselves and many others that they are "political" or "folk". The comment by samscafeamericain is a great example of the propaganda (although he is probaly naive enough to actually believe it).

But do a few unsavoury songs and chants mean that there is a sectarianism "problem"? Where is the evidence that sectarianism really impacts people in their daily lives? Is there evidence that people are discriminated against in the job market, in the housing market or socially becaise they are protestant or catholic? Steve Bruce in Sectarianism in Scotland provided evidence that there was no discrimination. No-one has yet been able to provide evidence to the contrary.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:29 am

Roxburgh wrote:........................... Steve Bruce in Sectarianism in Scotland provided evidence that there was no discrimination. No-one has yet been able to provide evidence to the contrary.

How do you prove that something doesn't exist?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby samscafeamericain » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:59 am

Roxburgh wrote:
Caltonboy wrote:Well, as a rangers fan, I can honestly say celtic have at least tried, maybe even cosmetically to eradicate sectrarian singing and behaviour at their ground, but rangers have done very little but bleed their fans dry and treat them like battery hens at games, and charge a fortune for the privilege.

Don't fall for the propaganda. Celtic have their fair share of "party" songs. Its just that they have convinced themselves and many others that they are "political" or "folk". The comment by samscafeamericain is a great example of the propaganda (although he is probaly naive enough to actually believe it).

But do a few unsavoury songs and chants mean that there is a sectarianism "problem"? Where is the evidence that sectarianism really impacts people in their daily lives? Is there evidence that people are discriminated against in the job market, in the housing market or socially becaise they are protestant or catholic? Steve Bruce in Sectarianism in Scotland provided evidence that there was no discrimination. No-one has yet been able to provide evidence to the contrary.

Sectariansm certainly did exist, a certain periscope manufacturing company formerly based at Anniesland Cross operated a quite blatant policy of employing only those that went to certain schools. Propaganda??? Priceless. Or do you mean that the fact people are no longer prepared to put up with songs of dancing in people's blood it seems like they are picking on the chanters.

I believe discrimination on grounds of religion has nearly disappeared (muslims may currently feel different) but sectarianism is more than restricting people's opportunities about a state of mind, its about spoken words, its about attitudes; which have a long way to go.
'once you can get men to believe in absurdities you can get them to commit atrocities' ....Voltaire
samscafeamericain
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby myfriendstan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:23 pm

Proor that sectarianism exists in Glasgow (at least on the 41 bus)

myfriendstan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:58 pm

Roxburgh wrote:But do a few unsavoury songs and chants mean that there is a sectarianism "problem"? Where is the evidence that sectarianism really impacts people in their daily lives? Is there evidence that people are discriminated against in the job market, in the housing market or socially becaise they are protestant or catholic? Steve Bruce in Sectarianism in Scotland provided evidence that there was no discrimination. No-one has yet been able to provide evidence to the contrary.

How's the weather in cloud cuckoo land?
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)