Sectarianism in modern Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Sectarianism in modern Glasgow

Postby vinny » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:19 pm

Would also recommend Sectarianism in Scotland as it provides a lot of historical and statistical evidence on the issue in Glasgow.
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:21 am

I'd love to know how much Sectarianism is still an issue in 21st century Glasgow beyond the occasional bonehead at a football game

i think last tread being closed & reaction in this one should give you rough idea. sectarianism is alive & well in modern Glasgow.
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby samscafeamericain » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:27 am

Not party to the previous locked thread so I am unsure what was said. On answer to the OPs thread and my own personal opinion. Sectariansim in Scotland let alone Glasgow has evolved, as people travelled abroad they have widened their understanding of our people and other cultures and I genuinely believed it was fading into obscurity. The internet has offered it a refuge and, hopefully, a last hurrah before it enters its death throes. The bileous seem to congregate together on certain websites feeding off each other and justifying their rancourous bile. That being said there is a sea change in opinion generally, its become less tolerated and marginalised and with a favourable wind will be a thing of teh past within one or two generations
'once you can get men to believe in absurdities you can get them to commit atrocities' ....Voltaire
samscafeamericain
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:30 am

Aye we will have moved on to sheer racism.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:54 am

or maybe just non-specific misanthropy, eh Dex?
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:37 am

red_kola wrote:or maybe just non-specific misanthropy, eh Dex?

Try Ralgex
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby OLDFART » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:32 pm

as people travelled abroad they have widened their understanding of our people and other cultures and I genuinely believed it was fading into obscurity

after moving back to Glasgow my daughter was asked in the first day, are you English? not long followed by are you a prod or a tim? Having been brought up in a multicultural school with not much racism she soon seen the darkside of racism rear its ugly head and it was really a culture shook for her. As the part of next generation its still there and its not fading into obscurity.....maybe one day :mrgreen:
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby samscafeamericain » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:31 pm

Having been brought up in a multicultural school with not much racism she soon seen the darkside of racism rear its ugly head and it was really a culture shook for her.

Can you tell us where this was your daughter was brought up?
samscafeamericain
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:03 am

Manchester she went to church of England school.
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:23 am

In the big wide world, this isn't such a hot issue !

Oi grew up in Devon and even as a teenager listened avidly to the news every day. The Irish troubles raged and figures would appear on screen and spout on about Sectarian violence and so forth. I thought it was an Irish term for organised fighting.

I was approximately 24 years old when someone informed me I was a Protestant. Until then I thought I was C of E.

(This is the best bit...) I was about 40 (!) before someone explained the reason why big cities had rival football teams because they were either Protestant or Catholic.
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:35 pm

If you get brought up with a chip on your shoulder, you will keep it and pass it down to your progeny. Unfortunately the people with the chips rule Glasgow at the moment so its still alive and kicking. Mind you its not just their attitude to religion, there's the whole Glaswegian attitude to manners, civility and letting people get about their lives normally without having some twat get in your way (mobile tunes on the buses, feet on seats, spitting in streets, not putting their rubbish in a bin, not washing, the list is endless)

MK a bit fed up with Glaswegians today after a hellish day in town yesterday
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:29 pm

My Kitten wrote:mobile tunes on the buses, feet on seats, spitting in streets, not putting their rubbish in a bin, not washing

or spitting on buses, which i had a few days ago while sitting near the back of the 62
every 2 minutes it was "HHHOICK-CHOOH...splat"
lovely
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:38 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JumpingAtTheWoodside » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:56 am

I was born in Glasgow but left when I was a baby. I lived in England until I was 12, and religion just wasn't discussed at school or in company- it wasn't important. When we moved back to Glasgow I became instantly aware of how obsessed people were about religion here. It hasn't changed much. I hear sly digs from both "sides" at work and keep well out of it.

I was at a party a couple of years ago and was asked what religion I was by a complete stranger. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Even if I said I was an atheist (which I am), it wouldn't be enough for boneheads like that. :roll:
JumpingAtTheWoodside
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dave2 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:04 pm

I was wearing a pale blue normal work shirt, and walking through town yesterday past M&S on Argyle St about 5, when I was asked if I would like my head removing from my shoulders for wearing that colour at their end of town. Said gentlemen were wearing nice green and white scarves around their necks.......sad.... :evil:
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)