Cleaner Enviroment

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Cleaner Enviroment

Postby conn75 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:06 am

Josef wrote:Jimmy, I don't drive, have never driven and will never drive. However, I don't think that illegal parking, annoying as it is, has any great relevance to pollution levels.

If I remember correctly from a long-ago read study, the most heavily polluted streets in Glasgow are Hope street and the like. The high levels are caused by the canyon effect: long, high, continuous buildings on fairly narrow streets with nowhere for the exhaust fumes to escape to.

The exhaust fumes of the buses, that is.

I don't drive either, but I don't see how illegally parked cars are doing anything other than blocking other cars or pedestrians or whatever. Certainly nothing to do with air quality.
http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com
conn75
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby conn75 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:07 am

This links in very well the the thread regarding trams - that's how you cut down on the fumes in places like Hope Street. No buses - trams only.
http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com
conn75
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby pclimie » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:01 am

A consultation is available at GCC website on Air Quality Action Plan until mid November 08 here:

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/ ... tation.htm
pclimie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby potatojunkie » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:26 am

Are those many millions of ponds still at risk? I'm worried about what's going to happen to the ducks.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:01 pm

Just been pulled over by one of Strathclydes finest and a council employee stuck a probe up my exhaust pipe. The leaflet they handed me (recycled paper?) gave a spiel about the roadside tests being to MOT standards and a failure could lead to a fixed penalty fine.

That is the bit I don't get, the test is part of the annual MOT anyway, so what is the point of a random roadside test? If your car passed its MOT, you are in the clear. Exhaust quality is not something that most drivers can measure of influence. It's not like knowingly driving with faulty lights or baldy tyres etc. So a fixed penalty from GCC for something you unable to self-monitor, and the Ministry of Transport measure for you annually, is a bit harsh.

Looks to me like a big effort by the council to be seen to be doing something about air quality.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:25 pm

It's a "construction and use" issue. No matter the outcome of the MOT, it's the owner/driver's responsibility to ensure that the car is in proper running order at all times. For example an enire wing or bonnet fell of the vehicle, a drive couldn't rely on an argument that it had passed it's MOT some weeks or months ago.

How a person would know about emissions from their exhaust pipe is quite another issue, but the responsibility remains the owner/driver's.
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Vinny the Mackem wrote:It's a "construction and use" issue. No matter the outcome of the MOT, it's the owner/driver's responsibility to ensure that the car is in proper running order at all times. For example an enire wing or bonnet fell of the vehicle, a drive couldn't rely on an argument that it had passed it's MOT some weeks or months ago.

How a person would know about emissions from their exhaust pipe is quite another issue, but the responsibility remains the owner/driver's.

True, but as you say there is a world of difference between owners, wittingly or unwittingly, driving cars with bodywork hanging off and the particulates coming out the exhaust pipe exceeding a ppm limit.

I would welcome roadside, random mini-MOTs, and driver testing along with breath testing (alcohol not halitosis) and sight tests etc. But that is the domain of VOSA not GCC. It's true Glasgow has an air quality problem, but is targeting car drivers in this way an effective way to tackle it? Do GCC feel that their random tests are more effective than, or enhance the systematic (annual) tests by VOSA? Hence money well spent. Ironically, if a driver has just added fuel system cleaner to reduce their emission in the long term, they might fall foul of roadside testing as the accumulated crud is expelled out the exhaust pipe.

I wonder how a case for exceeding particle emissions would stand up in court as there is no 'reasonable' method by which a driver can check their emissions before taking to the road. In other words, can you be convicted of something if it is impossible to know if you are complying with the law or not?
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)