Squinty Bridge Closed

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Clyde Bridges

Postby Josef » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:45 pm

I'm beginning to think there is something in that theory of Cheesylion's about there always being a photo of SmartAlex's arse....
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:42 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:29 am

Link to wee video by Halcrow on the Squinty Bridge aka the Clyde Arc. The smart money today in the construction industry is on the Consulting Engineers - Halcrow claiming their Professional Indemnity Insurance to cover the costs of the inspections and repairs.

http://www.halcrow.com/html/media/flash ... bridge.htm

Initial thoughts of a Consulting Engineer who i was speaking today is that the design is either wrong or the Contractor got the method / sequence of releasing the loads onto the actual Arc away from the fairly elaborate temporary supports out of sync which put stress on the connections.

I was sad to see this happen as the bridge was becoming a key part of the regeneration of Glasgow.

I fear that the bridge will be out of action for a considerable time. It's a heavy old bridge to be partially supported by the suspension rods. No danger of the bridge collapsing, but they will obviously need to check that no further incidents of this nature reoccur.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:48 am

As it would appear to have been an anchorage eye that sheered, I would suspect these would all have to be examined now for similar stress fractures - in your expert opinion, Socceroo, could this be done in situ, or would they all have to be removed? What method would they employ, sonar or x-ray analysis or the like?
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bilco8 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 pm

Error: Witty comment not found
bilco8
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Targer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:26 pm

What is it with Glasgow and for that matter Scotland and their bridges. The Forth bridges are also under scrutiny at the moment. Have we lost the technical ability to build bridges that last?. The answer to the problem is that in the interest of cutting costs is that the people in charge of these bridges have deferred maintenance and repair and which in the long run leads to failure or major repairs. Much of our problems these days of equipment etc failures can be attributed to deferred maintence and repair policy.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:36 pm

Targer wrote:What is it with Glasgow and for that matter Scotland and their bridges. The Forth bridges are also under scrutiny at the moment. Have we lost the technical ability to build bridges that last?. The answer to the problem is that in the interest of cutting costs is that the people in charge of these bridges have deferred maintenance and repair and which in the long run leads to failure or major repairs. Much of our problems these days of equipment etc failures can be attributed to deferred maintence and repair policy.

The Squinty Bridge was only open just over a year, it's paint is still drying, so i don't think in this case the problem is deferred maintenance and repair.

The Forth Bridges are constantly under maintenance and repair. The Kingston Bridge has also been subject to major maintenance and repair over the last 20 years.

With the Forth Road and Kingston Bridges their main problem has been attributed to the sheer volume of traffic using them which was not envisaged when they were designed. So in that regard, then yes they were probably poorly designed.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:12 pm

While the Squinty bridge is relatively new (18months) it did say it had an initial inspection after the failure. It should have had an inspection shortly after its introduction to traffic. Its possible the recent high winds in Glasgow imposed unexpected stress on the struts.
As to the Forth bridges, it would seem if inspections of the multi wire tendons had been done some time ago as would have been prudent. Then remedial actions could have been taken to reduce or prevent further corrosion. Many such bridges have been built worldwide some in even more corrosive environments. Similarly, many of these bridges have seen even heavier traffic loads. As to the Forth rail bridge if you can check the records you will see that the painting program was interrupted for a while. So proper maintenance perhaps inspections also were deferred.
My comment in this case mainly on bridges is a caution on the practice of deferred maintenance and repair policy across the board mainly to maximise profits (in the short term).
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:26 pm

I can't vouch for the Kingston Bridge, but a few years ago they had to strengthen the towers on the Forth Road Bridge and replace all the hangers, because of those huge traffic levels that it wasn't designed for. I'm sure the monster-sized lorries of the past few years really don't help. Last I heard was that they reckon the main cables are having their spot of bother with moisture due to shoddy installation. I guess we'll find out soon enough if all that money spent strengthening it was wasted. As for the Forth Bridge, blessed thing of beauty, the only problem it's ever had was when Railtrack in its wisdom decided to stop painting it in the 1990s, purely to save money (the same period where they stopped replacing rails over much of the network, then acted all shocked when high speed trains started to fall over). I seem to remember they only reconsidered when Fife and Edinburgh councils threatened to use their powers under the listed monument laws to repair it themselves and send Failtrack the bill. Dimwits.

As for the Squinty Bridge, I can't help but think of that Millenium Bridge in L*nd*n with the hilarious wobble that meant it shut the day it opened, with it's prima donna designer blaming it on the public having the cheek to walk on it the wrong way. That sound you hear is Isambard Kingdom Brunel and William Arroll laughing themselves hoarse. It's just my prejudice, but hey. Might it be that we hit the peak of bridge building ability in about 1890 and have got steadily more shite at it ever since?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Targer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:22 pm

You are indeed correct Lucky Poet that the Forth rail bridge authority stopped painting and did not for a number of years (I would have to check my records for how long).
As to the corrosion of the wire bundles (tendons) via atmospheric corrosion (plus moisture,chlorides etc,etc) is a much more complex problem than it might first appear.
The net result of ignoring maintenance programs is a large bill usually for the tax payer.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:26 pm

Lucky Poet wrote: Might it be that we hit the peak of bridge building ability in about 1890 and have got steadily more shite at it ever since?

Eleven years earlier

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:29 pm

^The Tay Bridge was a statistical blip :wink:
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:41 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Lucky Poet wrote: Might it be that we hit the peak of bridge building ability in about 1890 and have got steadily more shite at it ever since?

Eleven years earlier

::): ::): ::):
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:34 pm

This thread is certainly not a tribute to the Squinty bridge or for that matter The Kingston bridge. Neither has been a good example of Scottish engineering. No one disputes the remaining Glasgow bridges which are excellent examples of engineering and architecture and have withstood the ravages of time and Glasgow weather. Lets hope there is a quick and safe repair of the Squinty bridge?
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:31 pm

Socceroo wrote:Source of the problem found. This group of bouncers were clocked on the bridge before it failed .....

Did you obtain permission to use that photograph?
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)