Glasgow Central Stop and Search

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Central Stop and Search

Postby Bex Bissell » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:48 am

Stop and Search, Good or Bad?

Some folks says its bad because it’s against our civil rights and all that jazz however the more liberal thinking amongst us say that if it prevents or even deters terrible acts from happening then its ok.
So there we have it, two good points and both are right in their own special way so no one is in the wrong.

Anyhoo, There’s me standing in Central at 16.15 yesterday when the Police stop and search a young guy of North African or Arabic extraction, I’m only stand feet away and I can hear them giving him the old, name, age, ID, where do you live, blah blah, now the Police are writing all this down in a book. He has a strong accent and his English is pigeon.
There is another guy of similar appearance with him, only older, standing nearby, he starts making a phone call on his mobile and conducts his conversation in Arabic, judging by the rolling of the R’s and use of a lot of vowels. His call dosn’t last long then he starts making some distance between him and the young guy.
Two women stand beside me are also watching the proceedings. The older dude takes an incoming call then he starts heading towards the Gordon Street exit. One of the women also notices the guy heading off and says something to the friend. The Police are more interested in this young fella just now, my trains called and off I go. Paranoid?

Let me start again, I’m heading towards the main concourse, past Upper Crust, something grabs my attention, its someone with a camcorder (a lovely JVC barrel type thing) taking a shot of the departure board then doing a slow pan of the station, two cops pull the young fella up, they start by taking his details then start looking at his video and play back what he has on it, older guy starts looking around calls someone maybe the wife to tell her he’s running late and to explain whats happening, wife calls back tells him she waiting outside, he uses the opportunity to pop out and see her.

What I initially thought was, it must be shit being an Algerian train or plane spotter these days.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Central Stop and Search

Postby JayKay » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:39 pm

From here http://www.stv.tv/info/news/20071217/Justice_Secretary_under_fire_for_antite_20071220

In the wake of the terrorist attack on Glasgow Airport, British Transport Police has carried out more than 14,000 searches at Scotland's stations. In contrast, Scotland's eight other police forces have carried out just 135 searches.

Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill is also concerned that a disproportionate number of people from ethnic minorities are being searched. Twelve per cent of all those stopped were Black or Asian - despite such communities making up just two per cent of the population.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:43 pm

I carry a little multi-tool knife thing, so i'd probably be a suspected bomb maker :roll:
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:08 pm

JayKay wrote:Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill is also concerned that a disproportionate number of people from ethnic minorities are being searched. Twelve per cent of all those stopped were Black or Asian - despite such communities making up just two per cent of the population.[/i]

This is simply an example of racial profiling, and I don't think the police or security forces can be blamed for its use, it makes good sense. It seems to me to be a very simple result of the fact that a disproportionate number of people from ethnic minorities have been responsible for the terrorist attacks in the U.K.

By the way Bex, I found the description of your experience in the station quite exciting... good stuff!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:17 pm

JayKay wrote:From here http://www.stv.tv/info/news/20071217/Justice_Secretary_under_fire_for_antite_20071220

In the wake of the terrorist attack on Glasgow Airport, British Transport Police has carried out more than 14,000 searches at Scotland's stations. In contrast, Scotland's eight other police forces have carried out just 135 searches.

Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill is also concerned that a disproportionate number of people from ethnic minorities are being searched. Twelve per cent of all those stopped were Black or Asian - despite such communities making up just two per cent of the population.

I support stop and search and would co-operate fully, however, I'm not of Asian or Middle Eastern descent so am unlikely to be targeted by the authorities. As usual, there is a clear lack of communications between the authorities who are implementing the stop and search procedures and the public. It's like some kind of half-arsed public relations exercise. Intelligence is the key to tackling terrorism...
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:01 pm

This has been discussed before on here, but i'm still concerned that photography is being viewed a 'security risk' by some. And it's impossible to get a straight answer as to how photography can aid terrorists any more than simply looking with their eyes.
The reply is usually to trump out some completely unrelated story and try to make you feel like a traitor for even questioning their wisdom.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bluepeterno1 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:18 pm

glasgowken wrote:This has been discussed before on here, but i'm still concerned that photography is being viewed a 'security risk' by some. And it's impossible to get a straight answer as to how photography can aid terrorists any more than simply looking with their eyes.
The reply is usually to trump out some completely unrelated story and try to make you feel like a traitor for even questioning their wisdom.

I may be wrong but before any bombng raids ,it was always good policy to carry out reconnaissance patrols ,where photograghs were invaluable.
bluepeterno1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:33 pm

glasgowken wrote:This has been discussed before on here, but i'm still concerned that photography is being viewed a 'security risk' by some. And it's impossible to get a straight answer as to how photography can aid terrorists any more than simply looking with their eyes.

With 'looking with their eyes' they're only taking in what they can instantly recall. That'll be a lot less 5 minutes later and much less 5 hours later. A picture, as is said, paints a thousand words and is invaluable in conveying information to others, checking detail and so on.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:38 pm

What the Fuck were BT's finest doing before they embarked on 14000 searches in Scotland. What effect has this had on say the do nut market. Have sales gone down.

There were 30000 searches in the UK last year so did somebody notice the Jocks weren't doing their bit and pulled them up.

In the meantime of course one still has to put up with drunks on trains, extortionists in stations and assualts on passengers.

There are worse of course.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article266928.ece
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:52 pm

Aye but it's hardly the same thing. Where would photographs of the targets have helped on 9/11, or 7/7 ?

And I ask again if such sensitive material is on public display, what's to stop them just going and looking with their eyes (is there really that much to take in ?), or using one of the mega pixel mobile phone cameras now available, or even sketching a doodle of the important points ? Why isn't all this sensitive stuff (whatever it is) under wraps ?
No one will give a proper answer to any of this, and if questions aren't asked, and assumptions challenged, it will affect all of us to a certain extent before long. This isn't just railway stations, even street photography is viewed with suspition by some.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:03 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:What the Fuck were BT's finest doing before they embarked on 14000 searches in Scotland. What effect has this had on say the do nut market. Have sales gone down.

There were 30000 searches in the UK last year so did somebody notice the Jocks weren't doing their bit and pulled them up.

In the meantime of course one still has to put up with drunks on trains, extortionists in stations and assualts on passengers.

There are worse of course.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article266928.ece

WPC Barbara Lynford, 38 ?

I had to laugh at the question mark ::): Have they seen a photo of her or something ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:16 am

Was searched various times in London in the past. Didn't mind much and it was largely friendly, but I can see, if you happen to be in a hurry, how much of a f*cking pain it would be.
One piece of advice - don't have a carabiniers, etc, on your bag, people think you are a Father For Justice or similar :roll:

Whilst I can see where they are coming from with all of this and the paranoia of photographing in public places, it is, nonetheless, largely useless, as, when it boils down to it, if people are set on getting details of something, they will get it no matter what, and no one can fully stop them.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:58 pm

Speedbird is bang on .. I know from my security work it doesn't matter how tightly you think you have something wrapped if someone wants to engage in nefarious activities in a particular place they will find a way.

It's one of those immutable whasnames.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:04 pm

They have to stop a large number of white Scottish people as well, so that their figures don't look quite so disproportionate. I've had my details checked out by the police, my friends too... I didn't like it and didn't see what right they had to be asking.

Do these three look dangerous to you?!

Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:05 pm

i was going to take the train into edinburgh on monday , not now . so i guess i will be taking the bus instead :roll: what a load of crap . :roll:
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)