Gay Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Gay Glasgow

Postby Mark N » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:57 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:I wonder what the story is behind that split. It seems an odd move on the face of it, it's not like Scotland's a huge country that can sustain umpteen parallel organisations. Slight shades of Judean People's Front/People's Front of Judea there.

Loads of places have their own Pride every year these days though. It's actually a bit odd that cities the size of Edinburgh and Glasgow were alternating between each other, it seems more appropriate for them both to have their own event every year, if that's the way we're going.

Still waiting for a Pride Norwich though!!
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:10 pm

Mark N wrote:It's actually a bit odd that cities the size of Edinburgh and Glasgow were alternating between each other

That's very true, it just seems a bit funny how they've gone about it - it sounds like there's now a 'Scottish' and a Glasgow one unless I'm missing something.

I should maybe add that I've never actually attended a Pride march/do in my life...
JumpingAtTheWoodside wrote:SheBoom will be making their usual aimless racket, Carol Laula will wow the crowd with a medley of her hit, an unknown boyband will fluff miming to their tapes, and the whole thing will get no media coverage whatsoever.
...but I could be persuaded ::):
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Giblets On Croute » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:18 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:I wonder what the story is behind that split. It seems an odd move on the face of it, it's not like Scotland's a huge country that can sustain umpteen parallel organisations. Slight shades of Judean People's Front/People's Front of Judea there.

Giblets On Croute wrote:Exactly!

Exactly what? You're also worried by the possibility of alienation from the mainstream? (If I was being awkward I might point out that the 'mainstream' sleeps with people of the opposite sex.)

How do you know?
It's business , not personal.
Giblets On Croute
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:21 pm

How do you know?

Self-evident truth, dear boy. Stop being obtuse.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Mark N » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:47 am

Is there a gay equivalent of Clatty Pat's in this fine city ?
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:19 pm

Shimmy Tuesday in Bennets.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JumpingAtTheWoodside » Sun May 11, 2008 7:39 pm

Shimmy? That takes me back. I haven't been to Bennet's for years. Shimmy was fun, any other night was sheer hell.
JumpingAtTheWoodside
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:09 pm

JumpingAtTheWoodside wrote:Betty Hutton used to be well known on the gay scene in Glasgow. I haven't seen her around for quite a few years. Does anyone know if she is still with us?

I was just telling someone a few days ago Betty. A pal was in Bennet's one night and he turns to Betty and asks "Betty what's your real name?" Betty turns round totally straight faced and answers "Elizabeth". ::):

Quality.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby maccoinnich » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:53 pm

I just watched "Angel Eyes", the episode of Taggart based around a series of murders in the gay community. One of the most inadvertently funny things ever committed to screen. It's also where we find out the seldom subsequently mentioned fact that DC Fraser is gay.

It featured a number of fictional establishments, including a 'telephone bar' where Mono is; a cafe called 'Angels', also in King's Court; a club called 'Eros' (and I believe—though wouldn't know first hand—that there's now a sauna of the same name in Glasgow); a clothing shop called 'The Pink Pound', and its linked bookshop 'Go West'; and 'the Wallace', which I assume is meant to be the Waterloo. Seems like the gay scene was thriving in 1996, at least according to the writers of the show...
maccoinnich
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mark N » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:35 am

maccoinnich wrote: a club called 'Eros' (and I believe—though wouldn't know first hand—that there's now a sauna of the same name in Glasgow);

Eros was on the corner of Carlton Place & Bridge Street. It closed a couple of years ago then re-opened as "Schwartz". It has recently closed again. Apparently it has a reputation for going bankrupt then mysteriously re-opening under a new name a few months later.

A horrible manky place where your feet stick to the floor, with a stale musty smell throughout, badly in need of redecoration and suspicious-looking residue on the surface of the jacuzzi.

Not that I'd know.
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby samscafeamericain » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:29 am

Mark N wrote:
maccoinnich wrote: a club called 'Eros' (and I believe—though wouldn't know first hand—that there's now a sauna of the same name in Glasgow);

A horrible manky place where your feet stick to the floor, with a stale musty smell throughout, badly in need of redecoration and suspicious-looking residue on the surface of the jacuzzi.

Not that I'd know.

That sounds like the Savoy dancing :)
'once you can get men to believe in absurdities you can get them to commit atrocities' ....Voltaire
samscafeamericain
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:27 pm

suspicious-looking residue on the surface of the jacuzzi.

:? Radox?
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby maccoinnich » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:04 pm

Last night I had a pint at G1 Group's new "alternative" gay bar, John Street Speakeasy. It's about as alternative as ITV2. There's a lesbian bar upstairs. I can't report on that; my rack isn't good enough to get me in.
maccoinnich
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Darren » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:46 pm

I'm lookin for some Gay drinkin buddies i am Gay myself but most of my friends are straight :( i've been to revolver a few times but was looking to get familer with more Gaybars/Clubs but will refuse to go in myself :) come to think of it i was in revolver last night auctaly
Darren
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mark N » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:45 pm

maccoinnich wrote:Last night I had a pint at G1 Group's new "alternative" gay bar, John Street Speakeasy. It's about as alternative as ITV2. There's a lesbian bar upstairs. I can't report on that; my rack isn't good enough to get me in.

From looking at the photos of the launch night, "alternative" is certainly not a word that springs to mind. Admittedly the fact that everyone in them seems to be half my age doesn't help. :D

Though I am somewhat intrigued by the Tuesday night music quiz......
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)