Gay Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Gay Glasgow

Postby Raddled_Old_Queen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:46 pm

Digitographer wrote:I'm dying to ask.. did they use cutlery?

Cutlery?
Cutlery?
Do you think we were poofs or something?
Finger buffet, Dear

Tee Hee
Raddled_Old_Queen
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Haggis » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:13 am

I remember him being very loud and one luchtime a man in a suit with breifcase came in,and betty walked up to him and put her foot ont his case which was on the floor with her SKOLS SANDALS on :) and said to the guy Any Biz! haha,the guy flew out the door.
And then walked up to my mate and said,Im away tae the toilet to to clean ma C_ _ T and put ma face on,
My mate replied Whats the difference you have a C_ _ T OF a face anyway:) ,The pub was in uproar laughing but her diehard fans were growling over,(just because they never thought to say it 1st) haha
thats the only time i had seen him/her stuck for words,haha
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Tenderise » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:40 pm

First post - although been lurking for a while

Does anyone remember Madam Gillespies. It was on Argyle Street almost under the motorway.

I seem to remember that it had a stripper on Sunday night, b ut they wern't allowed to go the whole way. The barmen used to all were Togas and would perform some sort of show during the evening. It was good whilst it lasted but was too far out of the magic triangle of pubs - Waterloo - Austins - Sadie Frosts and Bennets (when it was good).
Tenderise
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Digitographer » Fri May 01, 2009 5:23 pm

>>Bennets (when it was good)<<

1976? ;)
Will
www.askyofhoney.com
Digitographer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Raddled_Old_Queen » Fri May 01, 2009 8:09 pm

Tenderise wrote:First post - although been lurking for a while

Does anyone remember Madam Gillespies. It was on Argyle Street almost under the motorway.

I seem to remember that it had a stripper on Sunday night, b ut they wern't allowed to go the whole way. The barmen used to all were Togas and would perform some sort of show during the evening. It was good whilst it lasted but was too far out of the magic triangle of pubs - Waterloo - Austins - Sadie Frosts and Bennets (when it was good).

Yes I remember it very well. The Bar was downstairs and they had a "disco" upstairs. I was there nearly every night! It was great when it started.

The original manager was called Robert and the staff were mostly all cute young drama students - one went by the drag name of Bernice Hindley (complete with blonde wig) and unknown to him it was myself who used to send him/her the letters from his "Auntie Myra" which he read out during his "spot" - much to the amusement of the audience who were delighted by the complete bad taste. Tee Hee

There was always entertainment - there was a Madame Gillespie herself who was a young guy in drag who could really sing, and the staff used to "do" the Andrews Sisters singing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" in full costume as well as many other elaborate costume numbers such as Madonna's "Vogue". They also had one of those bucking bronco horse contraptions. I also remember they had Hazel Dean perform live one evening.

The rumour was that the takings disappeared (I'm not saying it was true) and the place re-opened with one of the Bar Staff as the new manager - kinda Greek guy I remember.

As you say it was a bit far out (and the junkie hostel across the road didn't help the old queens feel safe in the area) but it could EASILY have succeeded with a bit of intelligence - all they needed was a minibus (preferably pink) picking up in the city centre and dropping off again - may have cost them £50 a night in those days? Peanuts, and it would have brought the punters in.

It closed down for a while then a local elderly transvestite known as Glass Eye Glenda took it over for all of a month and it shut again. Finally the 2 dykes - Martha and Kelly - who had made a shambles of the GLC cafe bar took it over and that was the death knell - those two couldnae run a tap never mind a bar.

::):
Raddled_Old_Queen
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby jiggyslassie » Sat May 02, 2009 6:39 pm

I've two words, Geraldine Starr!
jiggyslassie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Caltonboy » Sun May 03, 2009 7:02 am

What, No Muscular Arms regulars? :D
Caltonboy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Raddled_Old_Queen » Sun May 03, 2009 4:36 pm

jiggyslassie wrote:I've two words, Geraldine Starr!

What about him?

Is he related to Freddie?
Last edited by Raddled_Old_Queen on Sun May 03, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raddled_Old_Queen
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Raddled_Old_Queen » Sun May 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Caltonboy wrote:What, No Muscular Arms regulars? :D

Nah, we are talking real gay bars, not fake gay bars like MA,& Tennents

Does anybody remember the Toby Jug in Paisley being gay for a wee while in the 80's?
Raddled_Old_Queen
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby JumpingAtTheWoodside » Wed May 13, 2009 7:37 pm

Raddled_Old_Queen wrote:

Does anybody remember the Toby Jug in Paisley being gay for a wee while in the 80's?

No, but my partner used to go to a pub in Paisley called the Wee Barrell when he was very young-it was gay around the edges, and very cheap, which was the main attraction.
JumpingAtTheWoodside
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Raddled_Old_Queen » Wed May 13, 2009 10:22 pm

JumpingAtTheWoodside wrote:
Raddled_Old_Queen wrote:

No, but my partner used to go to a pub in Paisley called the Wee Barrell when he was very young-it was gay around the edges, and very cheap, which was the main attraction.

Yes, it was/is in Love Street amd the other attraction was/is the Steak Pie (with sausages) - I always used to nip in there for something hot and filling on a Friday afternoon.

::):
Raddled_Old_Queen
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Thu May 14, 2009 5:37 am

JumpingAtTheWoodside wrote:No, but my partner used to go to a pub in Paisley called the Wee Barrell when he was very young-it was gay around the edges, and very cheap, which was the main attraction.

Isn't that the "Rod Stewart pub"?

I'm trying to visualise this 'around the edges' bit. Like a wagon train circle or summat?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu May 14, 2009 6:04 pm

JumpingAtTheWoodside wrote:Does anybody remember the Toby Jug in Paisley being gay for a wee while in the 80's?

I remember being told that at the time, I think it has now closed down.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu May 14, 2009 7:07 pm

Muscular Arms

I can remember walking in to this pub years ago not realising it was a gay bar way back, untill a guy wi a tou tou on apraoched and said ... oooo yer a big boy arent ye 8O . later on i kicked my mates balls who told me to meet him there.

Was it a gay bar or was this guy just tryin to joby jam me? :| , I think its a Pizza hut now ?

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Thu May 14, 2009 8:30 pm

I'm intrigued by the several mentions of The Muscular Arms as a gay pub; in all the time I was on the scene it was never known as such.
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)