Bakers vans in the 1970s -80s

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Bakers vans in the 1970s -80s

Postby Robbo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:12 am

Can anyone remember the bakers vans not Dalziels) that used to come round the schemes in the mornings and early afternoon they were a cream colour with I think a red stripe along them.

If anyone can remember the name i'd be most graeful as it's been puzzling me for weeks now.

Cheers
Robbo

BTW I think they were named after one of the bakeries of the time.
Robbo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Bakers vans in the 1970s -80s

Postby skintobalinto » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:42 am

I remember the City Bakeries vans that used to come round in the mornings where I lived
Where the music stinks, and they water the drinks, ...at the nudie bar
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Hugh Wrang » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:45 pm

there was a van in That Sinking Feeling
Chess, like love, is infectious at any age.
(S. Flohr)

There was a young man from Peru,
Whose limericks all stopped at line two.

There was a young girl from Royston.
Hugh Wrang
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Was it maybe McGhees?
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:10 pm

The one used in 'That Sinking Feeling' was a Morton's Rolls Van
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fraz13 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:26 pm

Was is Mother's Pride or something? A neighbour used to drive a bread van around '79-80 that was rounded at the front like a Commer but I dont think it was, it had a wider box on the back and suicide doors that opened flush with the box....
Fraz13
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cybers » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:22 am

Were these not Sunblest vans...
used to leave the bakery in Barrowfield street in the morning and return in the afternoon.
Most of the time when they were returning the last 1/2 mile there was kids hanging off the backs...
If cheese gets mouldy you throw it out...
Why buy it mouldy in the first place ?
cybers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:15 pm

I remember when there was a bread strike on and you were very lucky if you could get a loaf anywhere. My brother worked as a van driver for Bisland Bakery in Cheapside Street at the time and at every shop delivery he would ask the owner for a loaf and every shopkeeper gave him one for free. Before long we had a 13cu/ft freezer full of bread and my mother would sell it, at normal shop prices, to all the neighbours. My brother claimed the money made was his as the shop keeper had given him the loaf, my mother told to f**k off as the freezer they were kept was hers and she paid the electricity to run it, and how the hell was he going to eat 40 f***ing loafs. My brother just shrugged his shoulders knowing there was no way of winning any argument with my mother.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pwm437 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:41 pm

My father and brother both worked For Dunn's Rolls of Abercrombie Street whose vans were cream and green.
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby neilmc » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:46 pm

Fraz13 wrote:Was is Mother's Pride or something? A neighbour used to drive a bread van around '79-80 that was rounded at the front like a Commer but I dont think it was, it had a wider box on the back and suicide doors that opened flush with the box....

Those vans were built on 'FG' series chassis/cabs, originally badged as Morris/Austin, they later became BMCs then, inevitably, Leylands. The cab was 'angle-planned', with front corner glazing for ease of parking and, as you say Fraz, 'suicide doors' which opened flush with the body sides; very handy for stop/start delivery work.

The Mother's Pride vans were creamy yellow and red; here's a wee photo of a Leyland 'FG' Sunblest van, as mentioned by cybers:-

neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ymc » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:55 pm

You're all wrong :wink:

In East Kilbride, at least, the bakery vans we had we're called the "Nimble" vans :D
ymc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Merlot » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:58 am

Hi,

I can remember the Askit van :oops:
Used to come round selling bread, cakes etc.

Merlot
Merlot
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby TommyDGNR8 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:04 am

robertpool wrote:I remember when there was a bread strike on and you were very lucky if you could get a loaf anywhere. My brother worked as a van driver for Bisland Bakery in Cheapside Street at the time and at every shop delivery he would ask the owner for a loaf and every shopkeeper gave him one for free. Before long we had a 13cu/ft freezer full of bread and my mother would sell it, at normal shop prices, to all the neighbours. My brother claimed the money made was his as the shop keeper had given him the loaf, my mother told to f**k off as the freezer they were kept was hers and she paid the electricity to run it, and how the hell was he going to eat 40 f***ing loafs. My brother just shrugged his shoulders knowing there was no way of winning any argument with my mother.

Aw! That's lovely, that.
TommyDGNR8
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:16 pm

We had a Nimble van and an Askit van (as in Askit powders - lots of hangovers in Neilston). They both sold cakes and sweets and general provisions out the back of the van. The man in the van always had a Open All Hours style brown overcoat on. Better fun however was the Alpine lorry....But that's for another thread.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fraz13 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:45 am

neilmc wrote:Those vans were built on 'FG' series chassis/cabs, originally badged as Morris/Austin, they later became BMCs then, inevitably, Leylands. The cab was 'angle-planned', with front corner glazing for ease of parking and, as you say Fraz, 'suicide doors' which opened flush with the body sides; very handy for stop/start delivery work.

The Mother's Pride vans were creamy yellow and red; here's a wee photo of a Leyland 'FG' Sunblest van, as mentioned by cybers:-

Thats the very vans :) Cheers for the info ;) His definately had red on it soi must have been Mothers Pride.
Fraz13
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)