Bowling Clubs / Water bottles

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Bowling Clubs / Water bottles

Postby Timchilli » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:13 pm

Odd question, but it's been bugging me for some time now...

My brother's new flat overlooks a bowling club and every night, one member of the club places about 50 litre bottles of water onto the lawn in a totally random manner. The bottles are then collected before play resumes the next day.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the reason(s) behind this? I've heard that this has something to do with deterring foxes, but I don't know whether this is true and - even if so - how it does so.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:32 pm

A number of non toxic products are available from hardware shops and garden centres that produce unpleasant smells and deter or confuse the fox into thinking another animal is within its territory. In this case the fox will try to confront this imaginary animal but if it cannot be found the fox will normally leave the area. Another remedy, which appears to have had some success, is to place a large plastic bottle full of water in the centre of the garden lawn. For some reason foxes avoid strange objects and eventually leave the garden
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:07 pm

Blueboy wrote:
A number of non toxic products are available from hardware shops and garden centres that produce unpleasant smells and deter or confuse the fox into thinking another animal is within its territory. In this case the fox will try to confront this imaginary animal but if it cannot be found the fox will normally leave the area. Another remedy, which appears to have had some success, is to place a large plastic bottle full of water in the centre of the garden lawn. For some reason foxes avoid strange objects and eventually leave the garden

Confirmed!

Cheers for that - now I need to figure out why foxes are so batshit crazy.

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:58 pm

I thought they were supposed to be cunning....
Shitin' it fae a 2 litre plastic bottle isnae very cunning.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)