'Hidden' Farm Buildings in Whittinghame Drive

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

'Hidden' Farm Buildings in Whittinghame Drive

Postby Socceroo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:52 pm

I did a quick search for this on here but could not find anything on it.

Not quite hidden as such, but with it being a typical suburban street i was a wee bit surprised when i came across these old Farm buildings or Blacksmiths? alive and well in Whittinghame Drive between Gartnavel Hospital and Anniesland.

You would probably get a better photograph of it in the winter when the trees are without leaves, but it appears to be your typical old Farm / Blacksmiths yard smack bang in the middle of a street full of 1920's onwards Bungalows and Semi's.

The photograph below puts into perspective a wee bit. On the left you have your 1920's McTaggart Mickel type houses and later 20th Century housing and on the right - on the north side of the street - you have the Farm buildings amongst housing.

Does anyone know anything about these buildings? It appears as if they are still getting used for some purpose such as a workshop or as a studio.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:02 pm

From Google Earth - someone who is into boats by the look of it :

Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:50 pm

What a find, nice one :-) Must have walked along there a dozen times and never noticed that.

From the 1892-4 map on the NLS site, it was called Flemingtown Farm.
The building plan is still recognisable, although hacked about a bit, with some demolition.

I wonder if there's some connection to the college now ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:49 pm

Thanks for the map Ken. Flemingtown Farm eh. Interesting i'll need to look a wee bit more into it to see what i can find out.

It does not look as if it connected to the College (but i could be wrong) as the entry to the Farm buildings look as if they are all onto Whittinghame Drive.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:49 pm

An ex-colleague was brought up in that area. We were discussing those buildings one day and she told me that they were a dairy farm at one time.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby elgee » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:07 pm

Great that these buildings survived in such an urban built up area. I too have been up n down that area many times n never noticed !
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:00 pm

This is still a residential building - the workshop is just an area used by the owner to repair the odd car. Yes, he does have a few boats in the yard.

The building was once a creamery called "Stott's Milk", which was owned and run by the current owner's father. The creamery distributed milk to a number of west end cafes (including the Bungalow Cafe in Scotstoun).

The owner is continually approached by developers wishing to purchase the site, which he has up until now resisted. The future of the building is uncertain though, and will most probably be sold within the next 12 months.
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: 'Hidden' Farm Buildings in Whittinghame Drive

Postby deconstruction » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:14 am

This is it, I think:
[OS, 1855-1882]

[google maps +/- 2013]

It seems that a new development on the corner of Whittingehame and Arnwood has recently replaced the farm completely. What a shame!
deconstruction
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)